Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Frusciante - What's Your View?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Two releases now coming up first is a EP entitled Letur-Lefr, and the second is an LP entitled PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone.

Here is a snippet of a song.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

One in a million as a guitarist, great melodist too.

Mediocre solo material but did some great work with RHCP.

While I'm not mad on his work outside RHCP, I'd still rate him higher than any of the middle of the road singer-songwriters like Ed Sheeran that rule the charts today, he's not the worst far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

The stuff he did with the chillis was great, miles better than dave navarro. Still, i'm not big on his solo stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

That clip just sounds like someone dicking around in the studio.

I didn't like the more melodic direction the Chilis took on their last few records, which was at his insistence I believe, but his guitar work on Blood Sugar Sex Magik is unparalleled.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

karaokeman wrote: »
    One in a million as a guitarist, great melodist too.

Mediocre solo material but did some great work with RHCP.

While I'm not mad on his work outside RHCP, I'd still rate him higher than any of the middle of the road singer-songwriters like Ed Sheeran that rule the charts today, he's not the worst far from it.

Yeah most people aren't crazy about his solo stuff. His stuff in the chili peppers was great.

When I first listened to his solo stuff I wasn't keen at all, it definitely grew on me to a point that I can wait for him to release more stuff.

That clip just sounds like someone dicking around in the studio.

I didn't like the more melodic direction the Chilis took on their last few records, which was at his insistence I believe, but his guitar work on Blood Sugar Sex Magik is unparalleled.

Actually started listening to BSSM again because of that:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm very interested in hearing his upcoming album and EP.

I actually think his solo stuff is far superior to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He was by far the best thing about that band when he was with them and , in my opinion, his debut solo album is one of the best albums of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

He's aight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

An absolutely amazing guitarist and song-writer. He was the man with the Chilis. Navarro and Klinghoffer are good guitarists but they never had/will have that connection. BSSM would never have worked with anyone other than Frusciante (and his drugs) on the guitar. He was at his creative peak then.

His solo stuff is equally amazing. He is much better singer than Kiedis ever will be. His album "The Will to Death" is brilliant. The title track is fantastic.

He's an old school guy. Supposedly he has no credit card and doesn't know how to drive.

The documentary that was made of him during his drug-induced exile from '92-'97 is scary stuff. He is an absolute wreck of a man then. It's a miracle that he's still alive now and putting out some quality music as well.

Here is the documentary for anyone who hasn't seen it. The voiceover is in Dutch but the interview is in English. It's so sad seeing him like that. He destroyed his life with drugs. It's incredible that he ever managed to change it around when you consider how deep he was into drugs at this stage.

An absolutely amazing guitarist and song-writer. He was the man with the Chilis. Navarro and Klinghoffer are good guitarists but they never had/will have that connection. BSSM would never have worked with anyone other than Frusciante (and his drugs) on the guitar. He was at his creative peak then.

His solo stuff is equally amazing. He is much better singer than Kiedis ever will be. His album "The Will to Death" is brilliant. The title track is fantastic.

He's an old school guy. Supposedly he has no credit card and doesn't know how to drive.

The documentary that was made of him during his drug-induced exile from '92-'97 is scary stuff. He is an absolute wreck of a man then. It's a miracle that he's still alive now and putting out some quality music as well.

Here is the documentary for anyone who hasn't seen it. The voiceover is in Dutch but the interview is in English. It's so sad seeing him like that. He destroyed his life with drugs. It's incredible that he ever managed to change it around when you consider how deep he was into drugs at this stage.

x2

Yeah he doesn't have a credit card and doesn't know how to drive.

Agree 100% with everything you said.

Anyone that has ever worked with him says his musical talent is beyond this world. Thats coming from people like anthony and flea (two people who played with him more than anyone) to RZA from Wu-tang.

How he didn't die I don't know, in the documentary he is in a pretty bad way. That was in 1994, he had been on drugs from 1992 - 1998 until he got clean. Flea says he thought john was going to die, he was sure john was going to die (that coming from someone who was very close to him).

I love the chili peppers but john can't be replace, My opinion I think Josh is the only person that could come close to frusciante. Frusciante was by far the best thing about the band.

His life story is extraordinary.

x2

Yeah he doesn't have a credit card and doesn't know how to drive.

Agree 100% with everything you said.

Anyone that has ever worked with him says his musical talent is beyond this world. Thats coming from people like anthony and flea (two people who played with him more than anyone) to RZA from Wu-tang.

How he didn't die I don't know, in the documentary he is in a pretty bad way. That was in 1994, he had been on drugs from 1992 - 1998 until he got clean. Flea says he thought john was going to die, he was sure john was going to die (that coming from someone who was very close to him).

I love the chili peppers but john can't be replace, My opinion I think Josh is the only person that could come close to frusciante. Frusciante was by far the best thing about the band.

His life story is extraordinary.

He has done one public track with RZA. It's brilliant. Great verse from RZA at the end.

I'd love for the two of them to put some of the music that they've created. RZA and John creating the beat and then someone like Raekwon or Ghostface rapping on top of it would be beyond amazing. Could be a classic album given both of their talents.

Don't know if it's ever going to happen. From the sounds of RZA in this interview they both seem content to just make it for themselves at the moment. Hopefully that might change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

by the way the chillis album was johns best work. Just the sound he had was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I love his solo stuff, shadows collide with people is one of my favourite albums. He did an album with Omar Rodriguez Lopez from the Mars Volta that was free to download that's pretty cool too. Not pop music by any means, but an interesting listen. He's actually appeared on a few Mars Volta albums and they have nothing but love for him. He sounds like a cool guy. But yeah, his solo stuff is hard to get iinto but well worth the effort.

I think he did something mad like release 6 albums in a year around the by the way period because he was just so eager to be making music again (maybe it was after californication). Pretty experimental, but he seems to just do it for the love of it. I think Omar said something recently that Johns in a place now where he is just living for the passion of music. To record only water for ten days (or something like that) is also worth a listen if you're feeling ambitious.

I think he did something mad like release 6 albums in a year around the by the way period because he was just so eager to be making music again (maybe it was after californication).

Yeah, he released about six albums in six months back in 2004

Yeah its hard to get into but once your in you love it.

Omar also said he has over 100 odd songs sitting there, that he is just making music for expression not for the money, fame etc. (like rza said he is financial secured). That he doesn't need to make any more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Agree with what most people seem to be saying on this. Hes clearly a great guitarist but I don't think hell come anywhere near producing the quality that he did in RHCP. Seems to be just one of those people who works better collaborating with a group of people. Having said that the type of music seems very different and not something Id be hugely into so maybe hes trying to get away from comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Agree with what most people seem to be saying on this. Hes clearly a great guitarist but I don't think hell come anywhere near producing the quality that he did in RHCP. Seems to be just one of those people who works better collaborating with a group of people. Having said that the type of music seems very different and not something Id be hugely into so maybe hes trying to get away from comparisons.

His solo stuff is way better than any rhcp stuff he did (apart from bssm) IMO.

His solo stuff is way better than any rhcp stuff he did (apart from bssm) IMO.

I think both are amazing solo and rhcp. But I don't think you can even compare them, they are both two different types of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Have two of his solo's both from 2004.

Song To Sing When I'm Lonely is immence

thesultan wrote: »
    Have two of his solo's both from 2004.

Song To Sing When I'm Lonely is immence

What do you think of the albums? What albums have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I have shadows collide with People and The will of death. Rate both of them, some filler with the electronic tracks

• Advertisement

Here is 30seconds of each track on the new EP Letur Lefr

"Letur-Lefr" has just been released. The two songs that I've listened to are brilliant. Thankfully RZA is on both of them, with a proper verse on one.

If the two of them dropped everything they were doing and released an album it could go down as one of the greatest. They both have the talent to do it, but probably not the time.

"Letur-Lefr" has just been released. The two songs that I've listened to are brilliant. Thankfully RZA is on both of them, with a proper verse on one.

If the two of them dropped everything they were doing and released an album it could go down as one of the greatest. They both have the talent to do it, but probably not the time.

Ah, I had forgotten about that being released. I may give it a listen.

John has an album being released in September. These two have worked together for quite a while now, so maybe he will make some appearance on it.

John has an album being released in September. These two have worked together for quite a while now, so maybe he will make some appearance on it.

I was hoping RZA would be on it but it's unlikely. I think the album is only going to have one guest appearance, and I doubt it's him. RZA is working on a film at the moment anyway so I'm just delighted that he managed to get on the EP at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

The Empyrean is a great album, definitely worth a listen, completely different style to the chilis but a great album non the less.

As frusciante described, best listened to in a dark room on a quiet night LOUD.

sumsar wrote: »
    The Empyrean is a great album, definitely worth a listen, completely different style to the chilis but a great album non the less.

As frusciante described, best listened to in a dark room on a quiet night LOUD.

I've heard a few songs off of it but not the whole album. When I get a new 64 GB iPod I'm gonna get all of his solo stuff. I've so much music at the moment that I have to keep deleting albums as I add more on.

I've heard a few songs off of it but not the whole album. When I get a new 64 GB iPod I'm gonna get all of his solo stuff. I've so much music at the moment that I have to keep deleting albums as I add more on.

You should definitely check out his first solo album or To Record Only Water For Ten Days.

Anyway, I recently had a listen to Letur Lefr and it's probably one of my favourite releases of the year so far. I can't wait until PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

I love Frusciante's work with RHCP. Was devastated when I heard he'd left. Need to check out his solo stuff. Undecided after a few listens to Letur-Lefr - it might grow but seems very experimental to me. The next one in a few months will probably be different...

• Advertisement

MackQ wrote: »
    I love Frusciante's work with RHCP. Was devastated when I heard he'd left. Need to check out his solo stuff. Undecided after a few listens to Letur-Lefr - it might grow but seems very experimental to me. The next one in a few months will probably be different...

Letur-Lefr would be the last one to listen too.

I would start with The Empyrean or Niandra Lades and Usually Just A T-shirt.

And keep in mind, the stuff with the chilis is nothing like his solo stuff.

Advertisement