Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi with tricolours on it - patriotic or something sinister?

• 31-05-2012 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

On the way home, I spotted a taxi driver's car flying the Irish flag from its side passenger window and aerial. Also the back of the wing mirrors had the tricolour 'painted' on. Just to say, many private cars around have similar decorations as the Euro footie is approaching.

Considering this is happening so soon after the green lights controversy and various "Irish taxi driver" signs on cars, question is...

Do you think this is just a patriotic football fan displaying his loyalty to his national team or do you think the taxi driver is racist?

Do you think flying the Irish flag on a taxi is patriotic or racist? 188 votes

No problem here, its a show of Irish patriotism for the Irish football team
    0% 0 votes
    Its a problem, its racist and discriminating against non-Irish taxi drivers.
    76% 143 votes
    Tough one to call
    13% 26 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think that I don't care at all, and don't really see why anybody would. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

gurramok wrote: »
    On the way home, I spotted a taxi driver's car flying the Irish flag from its side passenger window and aerial. Also the back of the wing mirrors had the tricolour 'painted' on. Just to say, many private cars around have similar decorations as the Euro footie is approaching.

Considering this is happening so soon after the green lights controversy and various "Irish taxi driver" signs on cars, question is...

Do you think this is just a patriotic football fan displaying his loyalty to his national team or do you think the taxi driver is racist?

Maybe he is displaying that he is Irish, personally I would prefer to give my business to an Irish person and that aint racist every country should look after there own as much as possible before other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Are you sure they weren't Ivory Coast flags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

why would the taxi driver be racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

We're in Ireland, it's an Irish flag.
    Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

The Euro's are next week.

End of thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

deisedave wrote: »
    Maybe he is displaying that he is Irish, personally I would prefer to give my business to an Irish person and that aint racist every country should look after there own as much as possible before other people.

If every country did that we'd be fúcked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think that I don't care at all, and don't really see why anybody would. :confused:
    WIZE wrote: »

Because the taxi regulator(along with politicians) has clamped down on anything a taxi driver tried to visually display via anything green that he was Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OMG, I saw a teacher driving in the gates of a gaelscoil with a small Irish tricolour attached to her car, the racist biatch. :eek:

Because the taxi regulator(along with politicians) has clamped down on anything a taxi driver tried to visually display via anything green that he was Irish.

Why?
    It all seems very strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I mean youd never see the Americans flying their flag everywhere, hang on a minuite...............

Its for the euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I bought a head of Lettuce today that was Irish and as I was on my way out of Lidl, another head of Lettuce from Spain called me a racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Maybe its the Italian flag oh no wait were not up north :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

It's problem

Sin City wrote: »
    I mean youd never see the Americans flying their flag everywhere, hang on a minuite...............

Its for the euros

I love that Americans hang their flag anywhere and everywhere and that every other building has the flag hanging high. It reminds me of Munchen in the '30s, vhen we ver strong, ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The people who claim to most opposed to racism are the same people who see it everywhere and won't shut up about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

At least when foreign taxi drivers are moaning you can't understand them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, it's been two weeks since the last thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

it still doesn't make the taxi driver racist to saying he's Irish

it would be a passenger choosing and Irish taxi driver over someone else that could be discriminating

• Advertisement

Why?
    It all seems very strange to me.

This is why. I fully disagree with him by the way.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0515/taxi-drivers-reject-claim-green-lights-are-racist.html
    rte wrote:
    Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar said that he had only become aware of the practice, but had seen stickers on taxis to the same effect. He said his personal view was that it was wrong.
    "I've only heard about this in recent days. The green light does not form part of the official sign, so it's not permitted, and the green lights do have to be removed.
    "I have seen stickers on taxis, informing people that the taxi is 'Irish', so presumably they're trying to inform people that the driver is Irish. I think it's inherently racist and I think it's inherently xenophobic."

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Archimedes

I don't see why you have to have a specific reason to be patriotic... I think it's a good thing that people are proud of our country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

God love him. He's probably just excited for the Euros next week & showing his support.

People have precious little to be concerned about these days, ff sakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

smash wrote: »
    At least when foreign taxi drivers are moaning you can't understand them.

:pac:
    Tee hee hee

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The people who claim to most opposed to racism are the same people who see it everywhere and won't shut up about it

spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

WIZE wrote: »

Incorrect, the scandal is due to green hunger lights. These are lights which are attached to the roof signs of taxis. The regulation states that the roof sign must not be tampered with except for phone numbers being printed thereon. There is also regulations restricting advertising on the car itself.

We fought for our freedom, and I can see dead politicians turning in their graves because of this. So what if its saying I'm Irish, there is nothing stopping a foreign national (or illegal immigrant) displaying a flag on their car? So what's the problem?

Leo Varadkar is a dope

He's like the man down the pub who has a smart comment for every situation even when he doesn't understand what is being talked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Pherekydes wrote: »
    OMG, I saw a teacher driving in the gates of a gaelscoil with a small Irish tricolour attached to her car, the racist biatch. :eek:
    Really? You are going to conflate taxi/taxi drivers to this?
    I would suggest it attracts racists/xenophobes and can be used by racists/xenophobes. Rather than inherently being racist/xenophobic, I mean.

I expect this thread will have a lot of "I'm not racist but..." types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My next door neighbour had a Dublin flag flying outside his house for a month after last years All-Ireland victory. Well so he claimed when the cops dragged him away for being the head of the Anto Culchie League.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's just stupid - all of it.
    Why would someone even think like that?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Really? You are going to conflate taxi/taxi drivers to this?

I would suggest it attracts racists/xenophobes and can be used by racists/xenophobes. Rather than inherently being racist/xenophobic, I mean.

I expect this thread will have a lot of "I'm not racist but..." types.

I'm not racist but I think this is the time for the flag to be flown. You'll never beat the Irish*

*Despite this we have never won a major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What if it were a foreign taxi driver with an Irish flag... Think about that one why don't you.

What about any black drivers or black people for that matter are never seen to be criticized as being racist to us, the Irish? Simply put, this country is gone to pc. Like we're all people, theres always going to be racists. But the racism "card" is being played way too much.

"These lights are used for display purposes during daylight hours "

It's pretty much impossible to see if a yellow light is on during the day

If you want to flag a taxi you stick your hand out and hope for the best.
    You might be able to see a passenger but not always
    A light is useful, doesn't have to be green. Green and red would be good too

How did the journal.ie spin a light as racist?

Yeah, that's just stupid - all of it.
    Why would someone even think like that?

The 100% Irish stickers on other taxis came to mind when I saw the flags.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/im-irish-stickers-further-stoke-taxi-tensions-1477654.html
    Stickers with the words "100% Irish" have been spotted on the back of taxis, indicating that the taxi driver is an Irish national.

"I am quite concerned about this practice, if it is the case. I hope that it was only a small minority of taxis that were displaying it," said Philip Watt from the National Consultation Committee on Racism and Interculturalism (NCCRI)

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "These lights are used for display purposes during daylight hours "

It's pretty much impossible to see if a yellow light is on during the day

If you want to flag a taxi you stick your hand out and hope for the best.
    You might be able to see a passenger but not always
    A light is useful, doesn't have to be green. Green and red would be good too

How did the journal.ie spin a light as racist?

The fact it is green

The 100% Irish stickers on other taxis came to mind when I saw the flags.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/im-irish-stickers-further-stoke-taxi-tensions-1477654.html

I think the 100% Irish stickers are gas

Pantsface wrote: »
    I think the 100% Irish stickers are gas

"Full time taxi driver" in green along with the flags. Nice pic here http://irishtaxi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/photo.gif :)

National Consultative Committee on Racism and Interculturalism

In Ireland we have multiple quangos for every situation

No wonder we're broke :(

Maybe they do good work
    But surely they and Pavee Point and a few others can be hooked up the Equality Authority, something like that. Save some cash

"Full time taxi driver" in green along with the flags. Nice pic here http://irishtaxi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/photo.gif :)

Fair balls to them

Am sure there'll be uproar aplenty here soon though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nothing stopping any taxi driver doing it. Personally I think taxis drivers should act with a bit of professionalism and not have shíte stuck over their car. No one gives a fúck what union they're in, if they're full time or not or what radio station they listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What's to stop anyone, of whatever nationality, putting an Irish flag or a 100% Irish sticker on a taxi? :confused:

Can a Nigerian driving a taxi with a 100% Irish sticker on it be prosecuted under the Trade Description Act? :rolleyes: That would be some court case - and the focus of international attention.:D

What about calling a taxi from a landline or mobile phone, especially if Dublin ever gets to the stage where there is a central number for all taxis, and asking for a white, Irish driver? :)

It's time Irish racists either got a life or went abroad for a while, like millions of Irish people have done in the past and are still doing, to learn a bit about the realities of our globalised world.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I don't get this "Taxi drivers can't proclaim they're Irish" mentality at all - Indians put that flowery wreath on their mirrors, Chinese have those jade yolks, Africans put up flags inside their cars - why can't Irish drivers put up their flag in their own country?? :confused:
    We spend millions advertising the made in Ireland brand with food and materials why can't we do that with our people? What do we have to be ashamed of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

It's stupid stopping them. I've seen various cars and houses flying flags of different nationalities across Ireland, my Irish mate has a Congolese thing on her car, It's each to their own, but to tell Irish people that they cannot represent themselves in their own country is just ridiculous!

Everything that's Irish is racist towards someone somewhere lately! Just incase people have not noticed... This is Ireland! It was the same with Christmas trees in st James hospital. Taken away because they are not multi cultural enough and they were putting other religions out!?

expect to see patriotism and so what if we want to put flags on our cars, or stickers, I will wear green white and orange all year round if I feel like it, because im Irish and it's my right too, the same way any other nationality can do the same!

I've many times seen Jamaican and African men and women wearing cultural cloths with the flags colours on them, but I dont comment as it's their heritage and they can do as they please, but we cannot act the same in our own country?

Whoever is making all these rules, take your finger out of your ass and stop trying to please everyone, allow all people to represent themselves and their countries as they wish. That's equality.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    What about calling a taxi from a landline or mobile phone, especially if Dublin ever gets to the stage where there is a central number for all taxis, and asking for a white, Irish driver? :)

There was a taxi company called Angel Cabs

Only ladies employed

For customers who are uncomfortable with men driving them, maybe they fear the taximan will rape or assualt them? :confused:

The business failed, gone a few years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I don't get this "Taxi drivers can't proclaim they're Irish" mentality at all - Indians put that flowery wreath on their mirrors, Chinese have those jade yolks, Africans put up flags inside their cars - why can't Irish drivers put up their flag in their own country?? :confused:
    We spend millions advertising the made in Ireland brand with food and materials why can't we do that with our people? What do we have to be ashamed of?

whatdoucare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

darokane wrote: »
    whatdoucare?

whatdon'tIcare!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Maybe he was from the ivory coast, and got his flag on backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bfocusd wrote: »

Everything that's Irish is racist towards someone somewhere lately! Just incase people have not noticed... This is Ireland! It was the same with Christmas trees in st James hospital. Taken away because they are not multi cultural enough and they were putting other religions out!?

You've a link for that, just as a matter of interest.

Maybe he was from the ivory coast, and got his flag on backwards?

Perhaps I viewed it through the rear view mirror? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement