Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi with tricolours on it - patriotic or something sinister?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Nodin wrote: »
    You've a link for that, just as a matter of interest.

I doubt it.

Sounds like a Daily Mail soundbite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Sounds like a Daily Mail soundbite.

Indeed. A crib was once moved (not removed). I presume by now its mutated into a few versions, like the free car/house for being black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

we are all europeans now.....oop's!!! we have always been europreans...

we have just stopped killing each other...????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

bfocusd wrote: »
    It was the same with Christmas trees in st James hospital. Taken away because they are not multi cultural enough and they were putting other religions out!?

This was a non story spun by the Evening Herald

A bit like a non-story of green lights to help passengers flag drivers being spun into racism ;)

This sorry tale happened at Christmas 2005.

The crib at that hospital was in the chapel, it is always in the chapel and will be this year too. You can even visit if you want :)

It was brought into the foyer and there was some carol singing and then the crib was moved back to the chapel

Yes, the crib was taken out of the foyer, the Evening Herald spun this that muslim nurses were objecting and management were terrified of offending them.
    Nobody objected!

It was a non-story yet people remember it seven years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar is a dope

He's like the man down the pub who has a smart comment for every situation even when he doesn't understand what is being talked about

You flatter him too much, because 'smart' and Leo Varadkar really don't belong together in the same sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

This is Ireland. Irish taxi drivers are more than entitled to hang the flag of their country so long as it doesn't violate taxi regulations. No one will complain if we do it in Poland or Ukraine in June .

I wish the these irritating equality groups and "intercultural" commissions would just shut the F up already, no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

forfuxsake wrote: »
    If every country did that we'd be fúcked

Like where ? For example in Australia the rule is they hire their own citizens before a foreigner. I have nothing against anyone from a different country but if I have a service been offered by an Irish guy and a foreigner I am going to pick the local lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

gurramok wrote: »

Do you think this is just a patriotic football fan displaying his loyalty to his national team or do you think the taxi driver is racist?

Why is it a consideration that someone flying the national flag in the country is considered racist? Doesn't seem to be the case in other republics like the USA, Switzerland....

but of course, and intense political correctness infects Ireland from nearby..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

You flatter him too much, because 'smart' and Leo Varadkar really don't belong together in the same sentence.

Varadkar wanted to pay unemployed and unskilled foreigners to go home and never return a few years ago, yet he now finds green lights on a taxi cab inherently racist.

Square that circle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

On the way home, I spotted a taxi driver's car flying the Irish flag from its side passenger window and aerial. Also the back of the wing mirrors had the tricolour 'painted' on. Just to say, many private cars around have similar decorations as the Euro footie is approaching.

Considering this is happening so soon after the green lights controversy and various "Irish taxi driver" signs on cars, question is...

Do you think this is just a patriotic football fan displaying his loyalty to his national team or do you think the taxi driver is racist?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

we don't give out when the meat says it's Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A bit like a non-story of green lights to help passengers flag drivers being spun into racism ;)

The crib at that hospital was in the chapel, it is always in the chapel and will be this year too. You can even visit if you want :)

It was brought into the foyer and there was some carol singing and then the crib was moved back to the chapel

Yes, the crib was taken out of the foyer, the Evening Herald spun this that muslim nurses were objecting and management were terrified of offending them.
    Nobody objected!

Where I work we're allowed to have a christmas tree, but not allowed to have a star on it :rolleyes: seriously.
    No one complained, it didn't offend anyone, but a few people who have meetings on some stupid committee they invented to feel important decided it might offend someone so it's not allowed. I'm actually offended that the top of the tree is bare.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    T
    I wish the these irritating equality groups and "intercultural" commissions would just shut the F up already, no one cares.

There are two hundred of them. Gotta keep the gravy train going somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I can't see there being a problem with Taxi drivers having a sticker saying "full-time taxi-driver". And the Irish flags, well first major tournament in 10 years! There does be ones with the Leinster flag on them but nothin does be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll guess that 99.99% of white taxi drivers are Irish so they wouldn't really need to advertise anything, also you only take the cab at the front of the queue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Nothing wrong with it at all. The problem here is the people who think this may be insensitive and racist are taking away from the arguement against the green taxi light which actually does have racist connotations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

the green taxi light which actually does have racist connotations.

How is it racist?

It's to help people flag down drivers during the day

How else are you supposed to see if the taxi is free as it drives towards you, you can't see a lit yellow light in the daytime

If we kept the light and changed the colour would that be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll guess that 99.99% of white taxi drivers are Irish so they wouldn't really need to advertise anything, also you only take the cab at the front of the queue!

No you can choose any car and normally I just go with the best car. If there is 10 cars if the one at the front is a mondeo and the one behind is a merc I know which car I want to be drove in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Quirk_Douglas

The only people I ever see talking about racism in Ireland are the Irish themselves. Racism to me is, you know, actually verbally abusing or physically assaulting a foreigner just because of the fact that they're a foreigner, not putting up an Irish flag in Ireland. It seems that a lot of people don't know what accounts for genuine racism anymore, and accusing somebody of being racist for something as minor as putting up an Irish flag in their taxi in Ireland lessens the impact of actual racism when it occurs.

If the taxi driver did put up the flag to tell customers that he's Irish, that's because he wants to feed his family, racism isn't involved. Now, if he began putting swastikas on his dashboard that might be a different story.

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to go wagging their finger at other Irish people over their apparent 'racism', some misplaced sense of magnanimity and philanthropy it seems. 'I want to show how kind-hearted and accommodating I am to the newcomers in this country and let them know that I'm very progressive and accepting, so I'll ostracise my fellow countrymen to make my point'. I may have rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I read somebody say in this thread that 'Irish people need to move abroad to learn about how our globalised world works'. That's right, kick out the Irish people if they're not as accommodating as you claim to be. Astonishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

deisedave wrote: »
    No you can choose any car and normally I just go with the best car. If there is 10 cars if the one at the front is a mondeo and the one behind is a merc I know which car I want to be drove in.

Trust me in Waterford you'll be told if you try that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No problem here, its a show of Irish patriotism for the Irish football team

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

I don't give a fcuk, it's only a taxi - I expect the service I pay for and I don't care what the driver thinks or had for dinner last night.

I don't get why does it bother people so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Nobody objected!

Apologies if im wrong, but I've spent pretty much the entire past 9 months visiting st James, I spent Christmas and Stephens day there also and there was not a sight of anything Christmas like.

I was also in the church and it was the same, they only thing I seen there was the red Christmas flowers, I may have had tunnel vision at the time with the situation I was in though, but I honestly can remember thinking it's very plain in there

Plus I'd totally believe the herald waffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Jesus, people have become so PC it's crazy. There's no bloody harm flying your flag of your country ANY time of the year as long as alongside it you aren't being disrespectful to other nationalities.

Riddiculous. I'm Irish. I've never disliked any other race or insulted anyone. But I'l fly a flag if I want to - Euro Cup or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

we don't give out when the meat says it's Irish

I know, we should treat humans the same as cows, it's good enough for them after all. ;)

Story is a bit dumb tbh. Anybody can put these on a taxi, hopefully all taxi drivers do it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

The only people I ever see talking about racism in Ireland are the Irish themselves. Racism to me is, you know, actually verbally abusing or physically assaulting a foreigner just because of the fact that they're a foreigner, not putting up an Irish flag in Ireland. It seems that a lot of people don't know what accounts for genuine racism anymore, and accusing somebody of being racist for something as minor as putting up an Irish flag in their taxi in Ireland lessens the impact of actual racism when it occurs.

If the taxi driver did put up the flag to tell customers that he's Irish, that's because he wants to feed his family, racism isn't involved. Now, if he began putting swastikas on his dashboard that might be a different story.

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to go wagging their finger at other Irish people over their apparent 'racism', some misplaced sense of magnanimity and philanthropy it seems. 'I want to show how kind-hearted and accommodating I am to the newcomers in this country and let them know that I'm very progressive and accepting, so I'll ostracise my fellow countrymen to make my point'. I may have rubbed my eyes in disbelief when I read somebody say in this thread that 'Irish people need to move abroad to learn about how our globalised world works'. That's right, kick out the Irish people if they're not as accommodating as you claim to be. Astonishing.

+ 1 to this.

An Irish flag flying in Ireland. THE SCANDAL of it!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Racism is abuse and discrimination against another race. Am I therefore to be feel insulted if I go to lets America and see an American Flag there? Riddiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

No, it's not. If anyone told me it was I'd tell them to fúck off. What if a taxi driver displays the Nigerian flag? Why isn't he racist? And the green lights aren't racist. If you see a cab and say "that one doesn't have a green light" and opt out of a perfectly good cab simply because one is Irish and the other is not (disregarding sense of direction etc.) then you are racist, not the person who simply aims to inform you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

a load of Politically correct nonsense ...I mean racism ! it's only an opinion FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

close this tread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

On the way home, I spotted a taxi driver's car flying the Irish flag from its side passenger window and aerial. Also the back of the wing mirrors had the tricolour 'painted' on. Just to say, many private cars around have similar decorations as the Euro footie is approaching.

Considering this is happening so soon after the green lights controversy and various "Irish taxi driver" signs on cars, question is...

Ah jeez the taxi is the guy's place of work..many offices and homes have flags and bunting up now too
    I imagine he is just supporting Ireland in the football. Its fairly prejudice in itself to assume that it's racially motivated

If any taxi drivers put up Christmas decorations or have rosary beads or some such hanging in the mirror is that trying to pander to the Christian populous ?

I know it's slightly different as these things are external to the taxi but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

"Patriotic or something sinister?" funny, because I often see them as the same (all Patriotism, not just Irish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wish they had part time taxi driver stickers, I'd plump for that. And Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

[/QUOTE] bfocusd
    Everything that's Irish is racist towards someone somewhere lately! Just incase people have not noticed... This is Ireland! It was the same with Christmas trees in st James hospital. Taken away because they are not multi cultural enough and they were putting other religions out!?
    You've a link for that, just as a matter of interest.

Here's a link.

www.google.com

Then type in .... Political Correctness st James hospital
    Then ... scroll down. :)

Took me all of 3 seconds.
    (It was a crib by the way ..... I remember it well).

DonQuay1 wrote:
    Here's a link.

www.google.com

Then type in .... Political Correctness st James hospital
    Then ... scroll down. :)

Took me all of 3 seconds.
    (It was a crib by the way ..... I remember it well).

Indeed. A crib was once moved (not removed). I presume by now its mutated into a few versions, like the free car/house for being black.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78971109&postcount=53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

what about the taxi drivers displaying green lights beside their roof signs. i have seen taxi drivers display signs on the back window, i.e. full time taxi driver etc. when will it end really :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's ironic when a country's flag becomes a symbol of racism. Look at the UK and the National Front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I say an taxi driver today wearing a green jersey, he also had pale skin, freckles and a mop of red hair..the dirty racist bastard.

It shouldn't be allowed, they should all be made up like minstrels :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Confab wrote: »
    It's ironic when a country's flag becomes a symbol of racism. Look at the UK and the National Front.

London, this weekend more than ever, must be the most racist city in the world then. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to fly a simple flag from their car in the run up to a football tournament then anyone with a problem should keep it to themselves and avoid them.

Its total nonsense that people suggest an assertion of identity equals racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Hanging an Irish flag in Ireland! What sorcery is this!?

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    Why was the crib moved?

....because it was a donated crib put up in the wrong place. There was a total of 3 cribs in the hospital that year.

....because it was a donated crib put up in the wrong place. There was a total of 3 cribs in the hospital that year.

Really, yeah?

It is understood staff erected the crib on Thursday. However, hospital service personnel were ordered to take it down yesterday morning.

A spokesman for the hospital confirmed that management ordered that the crib be taken down and put in the more "appropriate" setting of the hospital church at the Rialto gate of St James's Hospital.

"Management are very sensitive to the multi-denominational nature of the hospital," the spokesman said.

Kathy Donaghy
    Saturday December 17th 2005
    Irish Independent

Really, yeah?

It is understood staff erected the crib on Thursday. However, hospital service personnel were ordered to take it down yesterday morning.

A spokesman for the hospital confirmed that management ordered that the crib be taken down and put in the more "appropriate" setting of the hospital church at the Rialto gate of St James's Hospital.

"Management are very sensitive to the multi-denominational nature of the hospital," the spokesman said.

Kathy Donaghy
    Saturday December 17th 2005
    Irish Independent

Yep. It was put up in the wrong place. Your point?

Yep. It was put up in the wrong place. Your point?

Wrong place, me bollix.

It was moved due to fears of offending non-Christians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

lol @ IrishAm and Nodin's multi thread battles

• Advertisement

Wrong place, me bollix.

It was decided previously that no crib be put there. Somebody put one one up, it was moved because it was in the wrong place. One can argue as to whether or not they were right to do so, but the fact is that it was hospital policy. There were christmas trees in the hospital, there is a crib in the area allowed for same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Non-irish taxi drivers should display Irish flags. Then the Irish taxi drivers would have to get bigger Irish flags. It could escalate.
    I want to buy shares in whoever is making those flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Wrong place, me bollix.

That should be ... ' .... me bollocks'.

But I agree with your non-christian observation Too many on here are scared of offending anyone. They're so PC that if they were told an apple is a banana .... they'd agree .... simply because they never want to be thought off as 'Racist'.

In the meantime ... 'non racist's' simply because they argue for their contra views are labeled 'racist's' .... by back association.
    Personally - I think 'Racists' that think everyone else is a 'Racist' but them .... should think a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think they look tacky, drab, dirty and dishevelled. They are a disgraceful advertisement of the more pathetic aspects of Irish culture.

The flags look well though

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

my bed linen is a tricolour and im considering a tattoo of bobby sands.

the moths love it. fair play to the taxi men, true irishmen and proud. come on richie dunne take er home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement