Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC or EIRCOM

• 31-05-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

From your own personal experience which is better? i live in a rural are in meath and upc is available but there is a download limit... of 500gb whereas eircom doesnt.. i need an internet to hold 3 laptops and a ps3? Or are both poor?
    ANy reply is always appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have UPC and find it brilliant. While there is a cap, most average users don't hit it.

I watch Netflix and play games online, and have yet to hit the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Upc

• Registered Users Posts: 23 awedf

Shanew14 wrote: »
    upc is available but there is a download limit... of 500gb whereas eircom doesnt..

Read the eircom fine print, eircom has a cap of 250gb. By far upc is the best you can get in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

eircom LOL the walking dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

UPC is God tier. Eircom is **** tier.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

UPC.

Unless you're downloading an absolute mental amount of stuff, you're fine

Eircom probably (almost certainly) has a fair usage policy in the small print... could even be less than 500 gigabytaroonis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

UPC!

Hands down a better service then Eircom,and cheaper too as you don't have to pay line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Shanew14

IM quite rural tho and currently on vodafone which is complete crap The random disconnects kill me... So im gonna go for upc thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

UPC every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Eircom!

Not really :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Our UPC Broadband is absolute rubbish , we use our neighbours Eircom :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

UPC x 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lac007

I heard today that Eircom will be doing TV soon and higher speed broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

UPC, no question about it. Only time to consider eircom over UPC is if you are able to get their new fibre packages but right now that isn't a lot of people.

Say i cant get upc is eircom the second best?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lac007 wrote: »
    I heard today that Eircom will be doing TV soon and higher speed broadband.

You know, Eircom was planning to do TV and higher speed broadband back in 2002, they even bought loads of gear and trialled it.

10 years later and still nothing. I wouldn't hold my breadth.

Yes Eircom are currently starting to rollout higher speed BB via FTTH and FFTC and I'm sure they will do TV over that too at some stage. But the rollour is very slow, probably more likely 2013 before it starts becoming available and even at that only a small number of people.

Don't forget Eircom is bankrupt (technically in examinership) with over 4 billion in debts. Don't hold your breath for any big developments from Eircom.

If you can get UPC, get it. Very high speed BB (100mb/s) and TV for very reasonable prices, today. Not off in some distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Switched from eircom to UPC about 6 weeks ago. Very pleased so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Much prefer Eircom. fair usage is 250gb.
    If you get phone and broadband from UPC you must have you router connected to mains to use the phone.

Turns out i cant get upc :( what would u now recomend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Shanew14 wrote: »
    Turns out i cant get upc :( what would u now recomend?

All depends on what you CAN get. Have you checked that out first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

1984736922.png
    63812378.png

No Eircom is much better.

I am stuck with UPC and I have to say I feel very disconnected from my broadband.
    Never having to reset the modem and getting my downloads really fast takes away from the whole experience.

To add insult to injury 500GB usage on even the lowest pack makes the bandwidth feel pointless.

Lastly the lower call charges and lack of line rental on UPC phone makes the calls feel worthless.

Stick with what you know Eircom all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What rural part of Meath has UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What rural part of Meath has UPC?
    None , The OP is an Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh right. Says he lives in skreen, which UPC def don't cover.

Pretty much like every other rural area so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Fixed wireless or 3G it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC broadband is only available in cities and towns with cable service.
    If you're outside an urban area or not passed by cable, forget it, it is not available.

Technologically speaking, eircom's not even in the same league at all.
    UPC's got a full fibre-to-curb network with high-bandwidth coax to your house which has widespread coverage in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Sligo and many other urban areas.

Vs eircom which has fibre to curb in about 4 exchanges!

Eircom's 'fibre' rollout is largely going to be VDSL by the looks of it i.e. fibre-to-curb with a phone line from there to your house.

That compares with a coax last mine link on UPC which comfortably delivers 100mbit/s and can deliver a lot more too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Eircom's usage limit: 10GB or "Unlimited"
    Read carefully and you will find out that "Unlimited" broadband is capped at 250GB
    10GB will keep you going for 2 days maybe..

UPC: 500GB for all

If you can't get UPC, get Eircom..it's still better compared to Vodafone I guess.

I'm sickened by Eircom selling 10GB broadband to customers who don't really know much about broadband..

Actually if you're after huge limits Vodafone's not the worst option.

DSL will suck if your line is bad or if your local exchange has some kind of congestion issues and is still on "classic ADSL" instead of NGB and ADSL2+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Solair wrote: »
    Actually if you're after huge limits Vodafone's not the worst option.

You're right actually. I forgot, they start at 40GB which is okay for a light user. They have a 350GB option too. I heard about ping issues with VF, not entirely sure about it.

• Advertisement

You're right actually. I forgot, they start at 40GB which is okay for a light user. They have a 350GB option too. I heard about ping issues with VF, not entirely sure about it.

We had it in Cork for a while and it was fine ping-wise, wasn't ever a problem and I use VoIP, so I'm fairly sensitive to ping.

Again though, it varies from line to line and exchange to exchange so you can't really guarantee anything unfortunately.

The main thing seems to be if you're on an exchange that's NGB / they call it "Enhanced Broadband" then you'll have a decent service. If it's an older setup, you can't guarantee the backhaul's not congested and choked up.

The best bet is to actually bring a laptop over to someone's house who has the ISP you're thinking of using and run www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net from a connection to the Ethernet port on their router, not WiFi.

And maybe plug in a VoIP phone if that's what you use.

Advertisement