Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"seeing the ball out"

• 31-05-2012 11:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭

my biggest pet peeve in both playing and watching.

the defenders get away with absolute murder here when they are letting the ball roll towards the end line.

just finished a match today and had a few instances of this. the defender has no interest in playing the ball. the attacker does have an interest in playing the ball.the defender is backing into the attacker and shouldering him while the ball is 5 or 6 yards away not under his control.

if the attacker gives him a shove its a push in the back,if he goes to ground its a tackle from behind.anywhere else on the pitch and it would be a free for obstruction but for some reason the defenders have carte blanche here.

i think the rule is abused and it is just blatant obstruction at this stage and it only favours the defender

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

the defenders get away with absolute murder here when they are letting the ball roll towards the end line.

just finished a match today and had a few instances of this. the defender has no interest in playing the ball. the attacker does have an interest in playing the ball.the defender is backing into the attacker and shouldering him while the ball is 5 or 6 yards away not under his control.

if the attacker gives him a shove its a push in the back,if he goes to ground its a tackle from behind.anywhere else on the pitch and it would be a free for obstruction but for some reason the defenders have carte blanche here.

i think the rule is abused and it is just blatant obstruction at this stage and it only favours the defender

thoughts?

Agreed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

im at a loss to see what the attacker should do to get it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Totally agree but if a penalty were to be given for it there would be murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

thoughts?

Totally agree and have discussed this with my mates at length. They think its part of being a good defender "shielding" the ball. However when you dont have the ball in your possession how can you shield it?

As you say, happens anywhere else on the pitch and it is obstruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

im at a loss to see what the attacker should do to get it back

Wait for the defender to push back. At the last second step out of the way. Watch as the defender falls to the ground. Step over him and get the ball. Simples :D.

Or just kick him and fail to get anywhere near the ball, and possibly even pick up a yellow card in the process. Not so simples :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

thoughts?

Id be abusing the referee if that was happening. There is a fine line between shielding the ball and obstruction alright but thats taking the piss.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Id be abusing the referee if that was happening. There is a fine line between shielding the ball and obstruction alright but thats taking the piss.
    i had a rant after the third time and i was told to "play on and stop whinging".

the gas thing is if i mill in to the back of him and put him on the deck its a free out. the rule only applies to one of the parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The rule should be that your not deemed to be in control of a ball till you touch it. So defenders cant block access unless they are in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I guess the ball is deemed 'under the possession' of the defender, and thus he is merely shielding the ball as allowed to do anywhere on the pitch.

However, as you point out, a lot of defenders absolutely take the piss in relation to this. I have nothing against the concept of seeing the ball out, shielding it and not intending to play it - but when the ball is 4 or 5+ yards away from you, even if a few seconds before it was under your possession, then clearly a line has been crossed from shielding a ball under your possession to obstructing a loose ball under no one's possession.

They could perhaps set distance guidelines to make this distinction clearer (i.e. any ball deemed further than a metre from the player is no longer under that players possession and 'shielding' this ball is a foul as it is in essence obstruction).

Or perhaps easier, referees could just use their own discretion and be told to not be so lenient towards the defender when it is obvious they are obstructing the opponent. As pointed out above a penalty is very difficult to give here for such a minimal offence if it were to take place inside the box - this is one (of various) such situation in which I would like to see a freekick inside the box being given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

i had a rant after the third time and i was told to "play on and stop whinging".

the gas thing is if i mill in to the back of him and put him on the deck its a free out. the rule only applies to one of the parties

The only answer really is to do the same to them. When a ball comes to you as a forward get it into your feet. Then stick your arse back and stick your arms out and use them as a shield to protect yourself from the defender. If they nudge you in any way just go down. The referee will almost always give you a free. The likes of Drogba and Javier Hernandez have perfected it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Try to slip past him, if his arm goes out or up, you go down like you got shot and start rolling. It works for Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Wait for the defender to push back. At the last second step out of the way. Watch as the defender falls to the ground. Step over him and get the ball. Simples :D.

I did that, well he didn't fall but when he went to lean into me I jumped around him, got to the ball just as it got to the line, took one touch to turn in and another to cross, by then the defender had caught up and slid under me, long story short I dislocated my shoulder and elbow.... So in my experience, just let it go, its more simples :D

If they're close enough to play the ball they can shield it. How some referees understand the term "play the ball" I have no idea.

i think they shouldnt be allowed change their line.as in if i run behind them and they back in to me -thats their one bite at the cherry.if i then accelerate to their right hand side they cant then block me on that side too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

It's obstruction of a sort.

I wonder what would the ref would do if it happened in the middle of the pitch for example, one player, a midfielder, deliberately blocking another player, holding out his arms even and shielding a third player from a tackle. Suspect it would be a free kick.

It's one of those many anomolies in football, along with the likes of an absence of replays for refs, no goal line technology and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

THFC wrote: »
    Totally agree but if a penalty were to be given for it there would be murder.

And rightly so. The correct punishment for obstruction is an indirect free :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Defenders are stupid but win this most of the time, all you can do is dro the shoulder and hope to **** you are really ****ing faster than him. other than that let it go out or walk and hope he tries to play it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Another problem is it's often 6"4 centre backs who do the shielding and they aren't easy to get around, a lot of smaller forwards like Silva and Aguero don't even bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

This may be a bit unrelated but

see when a team is "seeing out a win" and takes the ball near the corner flag. Everytime they do the same thing. They shield the ball right in the corner, the defender then usually fouls the player or ends up kicking it out for a throw.
    I can never understand why they don't go around the player and let him goal side. Surely if you need the ball back then letting him play it into the box or to another player is a risk worth taking :confused:

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Another problem is it's often 6"4 centre backs who do the shielding and they aren't easy to get around, a lot of smaller forwards like Silva and Aguero don't even bother.
    yep,your man practically winded me he stepped back into me that hard. no interest in the ball at all

• Advertisement

plasmaguy wrote: »
    and the defenders have their arms out thus making them an even bigger obstacle to go round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Im a left full so have been victim aswell as culprit to this.

As an attacker you have a couple of options.....

1. Let it run out then turn around and give out to your team mates for not finding your feet.

2. Try and outmuscle the defender (give as good as you get) and then complain to the referee when he inevitably blows for a free against you.

3. Give chase at a medium pace and at the last minute pretend to sprint one side and then quickly change direction and go the other. Hoping to either catch the defender of balance\guard as he tries to sholder you from the wrong side (works very well on astro) or else to make him exagarate his movement towards you and at the first touch of contact go over.

4 Similar to the technique above but hang back slightly, letting the defender think you have given up, and then do a fast loop\circle around the defender running off the pitch and try and come at the ball from either the side or the front of the defender. Generally what happens in this scenario is that the defender puts his foot on the ball, turns around and just runs the other way leavin you behind him but at least he has had to play it.

Personally if im playing against a really quick forward who mixes up steps 2,3&4 I would be more inclined to just stick the ball out for a throw in as I wouldnt be sure of what they are likely to do and better safe than sorry than to loose position that high up the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ahhhhh,I love being a defender.You get to rile up strikers and wingers like OP and get away with it!

Gillington wrote: »
    Ahhhhh,I love being a defender.You get to rile up strikers and wingers like OP and get away with it!

i just think it only favours one player. if im allowed plough in to the back of you then fair game,lets do the man dance.the onus should be on the defender to do something constructive with the ball,or let me. **** or get off the pot so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

i just think it only favours one player. if im allowed plough in to the back of you then fair game,lets do the man dance.the onus should be on the defender to do something constructive with the ball,or let me. **** or get off the pot so to speak.

I laughed at the bolded part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's similar to all the fouling that goes on when sides are defending frees and corners.

It's sadly become "part of the game" and it needs FIFA to tell refs to act on it.

Advertisement