Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea agree fee for Porto's Hulk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has the transfer window actually opened yet?

If chelsea dont win the league this season roman will go FULL retard son after dropping this much cash already and theres still 3 months to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

srfc19 wrote: »
    When?? He's nowhere near one of the worlds top players

Yes he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Comical waste of money. 16 league goals in Portugal last season = £38 million? Only 10 Brazil appearances and he's 25?

Whoever is picking the forward signings at Chelsea is insane. Kalou should've got a new deal and I expect Hulk to join Torres and Lukaku (remember him?) as another overpriced flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Samich wrote: »
    Yes he is.

Not when he was bought though.

Not when he was bought though.

Pretty much was thought of a wonderkid, made his debut for England at 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Yes he is.

I could name 10 forwards off the top of my head better then him, and thats just forwards, if you add in other players...no where near.

Its ludicrous to be arguing over Hulks value when your club was held to ransom by a player who's not a whole pile better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Seaneh wrote: »
    Rubbish. Barca have a bigger wage bill than any other sports organization on the planet and have spent ****loads on transfers in the last 7 years.
    Irregardless, 8 of their first XI are home-grown, that unheard of in this day and age at this level, and to be that successful to boot...

srfc19 wrote: »
    I could name 10 forwards off the top of my head better then him, and thats just forwards, if you add in other players...no where near.

Its ludicrous to be arguing over Hulks value when your club was held to ransom by a player who's not a whole pile better.

Well Man Utd have been repayed by the success Rooney has brought so no harm in giving him 200k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

(...) Lukaku (remember him?) as another overpriced flop.
    Lukaku only turned 19 earlier this month, a bit early to be called a flop, no?

• Advertisement

Whoever is picking the forward signings at Chelsea is insane. Kalou should've got a new deal and I expect Hulk to join Torres and Lukaku (remember him?) as another overpriced flop.

The same Lukaku who made his Belgian debut at 17 and was generally thought of as a wonderkid???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Lukaku cannot be called a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and not a manager in sight. He'll either be like a child in a toy shop or freaked out and quite unable to work out what to do with so many options.

May this all end in tears.

I mean this may all end in tears! :p

Well Man Utd have been repayed by the success Rooney has brought so no harm in giving him 200k a week.

Except when your clubs fans talk muck about other teams "buying" trophies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Roman the new Chelsea manager? Sure might as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Comical waste of money. 16 league goals in Portugal last season = £38 million? Only 10 Brazil appearances and he's 25?

Apart from 2 seasons, Drogba failed to score 20 league goals in 8 seasons and came from the french league
    10, 12, 20, 8, 5, 29, 11 and 5

Was he a failure?

Rooney - only twice got over 20
    11, 16, 14, 12, 12, 26, 11, 27

failure?

van Persie

5, 5, 11, 7, 11, 9, 18, 30

Hulk
    23 and 16 and he plays mainly on the wing!

• Advertisement

Roman the new Chelsea manager? Sure might as well.

Alwasy has been ;)

G.K. wrote: »
    Lukaku cannot be called a flop.

Forget the age for a second. If Liverpool bought a chap for £20m and spent the entire season trying to offload him on a loan, with an eventual record of 12 appearances and 0 goals as the outcome - that should go unnoticed? At least flops like Downing or Henderson actually played, Lukaku couldn't get a look in and certainly won't next season either.

If he does go on loan for the entirety of next season - as he has been demanding - what will Chelsea have paid £20m for in two seasons?

Lukaku will justify that fee by the time he leaves Chelsea.

If he doesn't, I'll donate all the money I've ever earned to charity.

The snag of course being that I've only earned £15 in my life.

Forget the age for a second. If Liverpool bought a chap for £20m and spent the entire season trying to offload him on a loan, with an eventual record of 12 appearances and 0 goals as the outcome - that should go unnoticed? At least flops like Downing or Henderson actually played, Lukaku couldn't get a look in and certainly won't next season either.

If he does go on loan for the entirety of next season - as he has been demanding - what will Chelsea have paid £20m for in two seasons?

Lets see, well in the first place we couldnt loan him out because of the rules forbiding it!
    Chelsea said themselves he was bought for the future, and his age is important - very few top clubs would throw a youngster straight in week after week. Rooney was eased in.
    And quite simply - we can afford to pay that much (its actually less but will increase with appearences etc) so we do

Oh and your club has just released a statement saying that your new manager will have no say whatsoever in transfers after the Downing and Henderson deals

He has plenty of time to prove himself and will probably be loaned out like many teenagers before and after him

Lets see, well in the first place we couldnt loan him out because of the rules forbiding it!
    Chelsea said themselves he was bought for the future, and his age is important - very few top clubs would throw a youngster straight in week after week. Rooney was eased in.
    And quite simply - we can afford to pay that much (its actually less but will increase with appearences etc) so we do

Oh and your club has just released a statement saying that your new manager will have no say whatsoever in transfers after the Downing and Henderson deals

He has plenty of time to prove himself and will probably be loaned out like many teenagers before and after him

I'm an Arsenal fan. Anyway, to get off the subject of Lukaku (who I firmly believe will not justify that fee), I think £38m for Hulk is insane but just shows the lengths Roman will go turning around the investment in Torres. I reckon Chelsea's season will rest on the Spaniard's shoulders - he needs a great season.

• Advertisement

I'm an Arsenal fan. Anyway, to get off the subject of Lukaku (who I firmly believe will not justify that fee), I think £38m for Hulk is insane but just shows the lengths Roman will go turning around the investment in Torres. I reckon Chelsea's season will rest on the Spaniard's shoulders.

You say that on what basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I remember reading at the time that the cash deal for lukaku was 8-12 million rising to 18 with add ons. He signed a 5 year deal and if you actually thought he would play much last season with drogba, torres and sturridge ahead of him you are deluded.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I remember reading at the time that the cash deal for lukaku was 8-12 million rising to 18 with add ons. He signed a 5 year deal and if you actually thought he would play much last season with drogba, torres and sturridge ahead of him you are deluded.

You are correct Sir!

we paid 13 million rising to 18 as I understand it

Oh and the arsenal wage bill is a £111m - you pay big money to young players as well!

G.K. wrote: »
    You say that on what basis?

I have to go bed in a second here! I say it on the basis that he will likely play 12 games in his first two seasons at Chelsea, these loan moves do not always work for youngsters who cannot get first-team opportunities at Chelsea (Kakuta just got relegated in France, tons of the youth team was bought by Hamburg, with little impact) and that aside from a great start in Belgium, what else can you get excited about? His intl record isn't that impressive for a striker either and he may have regressed from sitting on a bench for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

They've bought players yes, with money they've won and through their fan base.

When was the last time Utd bought a player who wasn't proven, for a mammoth anount of money and who earned the same as established world class players.

Fair point about the wage side of things as far as Utd are concerned.They probably wouldn't pay stupid wages to unproven players.

This is the road teams have to go down now because of filthy-rich owners willing to throw money at players and idiot footballers and agents over-valuing themselves.If City bought Van Persie in the morning and paid him 200,000 a week,people would say he is worth every penny because he is proven.Hazard is far from proven but if Chelsea are willing to pay him silly money,fair play to him for being able to command it.(wages in the game are mad anyway just in case anyone thinks i condone paying a guy 200 grand a week)

By the way,money is money.You can dress it up all you like saying Utd earned it from prize-money or from selling shirts but some clubs have sugar daddies to finance their deals which is not the same.It's all the one-it still has to be spent properly.

If you win 10 million in the lotto and decide to buy the same car as Eden Hazard,i'm sure he wouldn't begrudge you because you didn't work for it.It might not seem fair to mere mortals but,what the hell,there is room for 2 super-cars in West London right?

Anyway,back to the point.Chelsea obviously feel they got the right player for the right price.He may prove a bargain(or not) depending on how Chelsea do.If they win the league and Champions league,they will have paid for him and will add someone else next year for huge money.Roman can't take it with him so he might as well spend it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Really hope Lukaku goes out on loan to someone in the premier league next year, I have being hearing about him for a few years now and it would be very interesting to see him week in week out. Maybe one of the promoted clubs would take a chance on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

think all the chelsea signings depend on the manager.

And thats why they will remain a joke of a club,Roman signing all these players then expecting someone to make them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

dreamers75 wrote: »

And thats why they will remain a joke of a club,Roman signing all these players then expecting someone to make them play.

I'm sure it's not ideal for whoever is in charge next season-maybe Roman should buy his coaching badges and give owner/manager a go.If i was a manager and was taking over a club,i would have my own ideas as to who i would want to bring in.

On the other hand,if i got there and some of the most talked about players in European football had been brought in just before i arrived,i'd be fuppin creaming myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I wish somebody would tell Arsene Wenger that you can aparantly buy trophies nowadays

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

dorgasm wrote: »
    I wouldn't call £38million for 18 goals wouldn't be value....
    Jeez, didnt realise I missed the 2012/2013 season. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Yakult wrote: »
    Jeez, didnt realise I missed the 2012/2013 season. .

I was actually replying to a previous comment where the poster said that if he got half of his last season's tally (36) then that would justify the money. Understand now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

dreamers75 wrote: »

I dont get this how can the multi time league champions and current champions of Europe be a joke of a club ?.

Football fans are strange

bizmark wrote: »
    I dont get this how can the multi time league champions and current champions of Europe be a joke of a club ?.

Football fans are strange

I presume he's not saying the club's achievements are a joke. The way Abramovich runs the club and the sheer amount of money he's pumped into it is what he's talking about. It's been done to death but really, the money Chelsea are purportedly spending this summer is disgusting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

So far they have signed:

M.Marin
    E.Hazard

and now maybe Hulk...

Should they not first get a manager, so he can decide how he wants his team built...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This has to be one of the most utterly retarded threads I've read in a while...

Liam O wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most utterly retarded threads I've read in a while...

Not going to justify why you think that nah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So far they have signed:

M.Marin
    E.Hazard

and now maybe Hulk...

Should they not first get a manager, so he can decide how he wants his team built...

They have one...

article-2115593-122C4592000005DC-184_468x305.jpg

(It's not the guy in the smart suit.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Marin, Hazard and now Hulk. Who else is pissed off Roman got his copy of FM 2013 before the rest of us:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

J. Marston wrote: »
    They have one...

Ha ha nice...They really need to make it official tho.

They must have a manager, otherwise what would compel a player to join a club without knowing how much football they are going to get...Well except for Hazard, I'm sure he thinks he'll play every game available, because his the greatest, he seems to think his Maradona, Ronaldo, Zidane, Platini, Messi, Cruijff, van basten & pele all rolled into one football, judging by his carry out in the lead up to his move to Chelsea...

Hope Barton finishes him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Doocey wrote: »
    Fee Agreed with Brazilian

Big bucks, for a big fella.

Overrated imo, £38m a tad staggering.

Chelsea holding no punches early on in the transfer market eh?

and it begins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

People can whine all they want but I think anyone bar the most biased people will agree that these signings (if true) will make the premier league a LOT more exciting next year. The PL has been lacking characters like Ronaldo and it wasn't until Balotelli arrived on the scene when things got a bit entertaining again. You need characters like Hazard for a bit of a laugh and a bit of genius. I hope City and Chelsea keep buying big because with big money comes expectation and with expectation comes a bit of banter and a bit of banter leads to a smile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So he can hit a ball hard at goal! - Poor mans Darren Gibson if you ask me.

Joking aside it'll be an interesting 2012-2013 season, Jewish Russian owned Chelsea vs Arab owned City. United too maybe but they'll most likely fall off!

For the non-super-rich-clubs, fourth is the new first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So far they have signed:

M.Marin
    E.Hazard

and now maybe Hulk...

I think its a healthier sign that a club can buy players without a full time manager in place. Having the manager as the single point of failure isnt actually a good thing. Chelsea want to go a certain direction and its obvious that they arent prepared to entertain a manager that would like to go about things a different way. They'll get a manager that will work with the players he's provided, get the best out of them, implement the system that reflects the philosophy (how Roman would like the team to play) of the club.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

dorgasm wrote: »
    I was actually replying to a previous comment where the poster said that if he got half of his last season's tally (36) then that would justify the money. Understand now??

Ah right, didn't catch that! (Quote ;))
    Either way, if he got 18 goals that would be a good return and then the assists to go with it.
    As for the fee, most players are over valued these days and he only signed a 5 year deal last year (iirc?) so that would probably explain the extra millions added to the price.

Looking forward to seeing him in the EPL. Hope it goes badly for him :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Scary how many people say he's overrated yet have watched what.. maybe a couple of games he's been in at a push :) I'm sure some people here have watched him a good bit and that's fair enough, but I have my doubts for a percentage here.

Anyway, good signing. Will strengthen that RW/RWF spot while adding an extra option to lead the line at times. Don't agree with the fee paid, but sure, sometimes you have to overpay to get your primary targets. In saying that, if Sturridge wasn't such a moaner in regards to playing out wide. Hulk wouldn't have been needed IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Screams FFP is the absolute bollocks I thought it was tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yea, hard to see Sturridge lasting another season tbh. I see a 6 month loan in january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

-Ade- wrote: »
    Scary how many people say he's overrated yet have watched what.. maybe a couple of games he's been in at a push :) I'm sure some people here have watched him a good bit and that's fair enough, but I have my doubts for a percentage here.

Anyway, good signing. Will strengthen that RW/RWF spot while adding an extra option to lead the line at times. Don't agree with the fee paid, but sure, sometimes you have to overpay to get your primary targets. In saying that, if Sturridge wasn't such a moaner in regards to playing out wide. Hulk wouldn't have been needed IMHO.
    I think he's definitely overvalued, but he is a fantastic player, as you say if people have watched him consistently, they wouldn't be writing him off!

Hope the signing falls through tbh as chelsea are gonna be in the title chase all the way to the end if the new boys play to the potential I think they have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

J. Marston wrote: »
    They have one...

Ha ha nice...They really need to make it official tho.

They must have a manager, otherwise what would compel a player to join a club without knowing how much football they are going to get...Well except for Hazard, I'm sure he thinks he'll play every game available, because his the greatest, he seems to think his Maradona, Ronaldo, Zidane, Platini, Messi, Cruijff, van basten & pele all rolled into one football, judging by his carry out in the lead up to his move to Chelsea...

Hope Barton finishes him
    You hope Barton "finishes him"?.
    Now there's a low level if ever I've seen one.
    What sort of person wishes an injury on someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

but ...but ... Chelsea don't wear green .... it'll never work !

• Advertisement
Advertisement