Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea agree fee for Porto's Hulk

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont see why we should be penalised just for being considerably richer than other clubs.

Thats life, we live in a free democratic world.

Do we all sit at home and say unfair it is we havent got bentleys and yachts?

We should break away from the poor clubs - that'll teach um!

We follow a sport that even a club like stoke buys a player with enough money to feed a third world country - how stupid is that?!

UEFA just want to bring the richer clubs closer together an dmake the premium competition open to mroe countries and smaller teams.

Granted a team like APOEL arent going to compete every year as they are really the exception to the rule of smaller teams going far in the UCL and they are in no way goign to compete with the biggest clubs due to revenues but its a small start.

I think its UEFA just making a lot of noise without backing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I dont see why we should be penalised just for being considerably richer than other clubs.

We follow a sport that even a club like stoke buys a player with enough money to feed a third world country - how stupid is that?!

UEFA's worry is the inflationary climate the sugar daddies are creating will force clubs to spend more than they can afford just to keep up.

Also by making clubs reliant on the actual revenue they raise by their own means, rather than living on a billionaire's wealth, would result in a club not going out of business if the sugar daddy had a change of heart or dropped dead or lost all his wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Samich wrote: »
    It's like the eurozone crisis, can't spend more than you get in or you'll get penalised ;)

Sorry, I can no longer converse with the likes of you as it is charged at double rates plus expenses plus add on fees ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Well let's say some mad dictator multi billionaire from Afgakbakistan decided he wants to win the World Cup, so he sets up a league in his country, owns all the teams, and starts buying the world's best young players and pays them hugely on the condition they declare themselves for their new home in the international game.

8 years later they win the World Cup, would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

. Sorry, double post.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Well let's say some mad dictator multi billionaire from Afgakbakistan decided he wants to win the World Cup, so he sets up a league in his country, owns all the teams, and starts buying the world's best young players and pays them hugely on the condition they declare themselves for their new home in the international game.

The day that ANY of that happens I'll eat my hat, through my arse.

Well first off you get a warning, second, it looks at accounts from certain years, third, we can prove we are comlying because we are showing a downward trend, 4th we havent spent anything we havent earnt on the hazard and hulk transfers when they actually happen

Do YOU actually know what the FPP rules are?
    I suggest you google, theres lots of articles on Chelsea and city

I know exactly what FFP is. I also doubt that the downward trend in losses is not not likely to turn into a profit within the timeframe specified by the rules, especially given that such a massive outlay is required to overhaul the squad (and I don't just mean this summer). If rumours are to be believed, close to the entire CL prize money is being spent on rebuilding the squad, so the current level of annual losses will be similar next year. Counting on winning the CL every year is not ideal when budgeting.

Anyway, this is a thread on Hulk's signing rather than FFP. On topic, I think that he's a good signing, but not at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

greendom wrote: »
    UEFA's worry is the inflationary climate the sugar daddies are creating will force clubs to spend more than they can afford just to keep up.

Also by making clubs reliant on the actual revenue they raise by their own means, rather than living on a billionaire's wealth, would result in a club not going out of business if the sugar daddy had a change of heart or dropped dead or lost all his wealth.

This is the crux of it. There has to be something in place to keep these owners in check, for the sake of these clubs, not their competition. If FFP has teeth, there will be plenty of clubs over the next 20 years who will be very glad that it was brought in.

Completely different. FIFA's elligibility rules, and a lack of recognition of the country in the first place wouldn't allow for it.

How about Manchester United and Liverpool abolish the co-op TV deal and go out on their own? Goodbye to a ****load of revenue for all of the clubs in the league, including your beloved Chelsea. No chance of complying with FFP rules. The reason they don't do that is because it is bad for the game and ultimately the clubs themselves because competition will die on its arse.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »

I'm not saying it will happen I'm saying if it did, would it be right? It's a hypothetical question.

If someone told me in 1997 that by 2012 Chelsea would have won 3 league titles and a European Cup, and the league had been won that year by the world's most expensive team, Manchester City, let's just say my arse would now be sore and I wouldn't have a hat anymore.

SSN##Breaking news##

Chelsea to launch staggering £60 million bid for the FFP rules

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has launched an astonishing £60m bid to buy UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations.
    The Blues billionaire - whose wish is reportedly to see the Champions League winners go undefeated for the season - is desperate to splash out on UEFA's regulations after being informed that FFP makes it impossible for a team to record a loss.
    "Money is no object for Abramovich as far as FFP is concerned and he is prepared to test UEFA boss Michel Platini's resolve with a mega-money offer," revealed our Chelsea insider, Stamford The Lion. "The Russian oligarch was alerted when he heard that the regulations had caused problems for his team and some of Europe's biggest sides, not to mention its excellent record on penalties."
    Chelsea will face stiff competition from Man City, however, who have been monitoring FFP's progress and may exploit a loophole to get sponsors on board to pay for the move.

I'm not saying it will happen I'm saying if it did, would it be right? It's a hypothetical question.

If someone told me in 1997 that by 2012 Chelsea would have won 3 league titles and a European Cup, and the league had been won that year by the world's most expensive team, Manchester City, let's just say my arse would now be sore and I wouldn't have a hat anymore.

Your example just cant and wont happen, its impossible, thats the problem.

However, any club can win trophies, so back in '97 there was a much better chance of City or Chelsea pushing the top clubs in the next 15 years then there was for a situation like the one you posted.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How exactly does one go about eating their hat through their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Some amount of drool in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Will ye please stop talking about eating yer hats through yer holes!:pac:
    Lets focus on the real issues here..
    The Ram, the Hazard and the Hulk - its like the Avengers Chelsea style!

niallo27 wrote: »

When this happens I'll gladly demonstrate. :pac: vvv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Have you looked at England's cricket team lately? They reached no.1 in the world rankings with the majority of their team (and most of their best players) from overseas. Look out for the amount of 'ringers' you'll see in the Olympics this summer too. What about that famous Croatian Eduardo da Silva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

niallo27 wrote: »

See South Park S06E08 for a full tutorial :)

• Advertisement

latenia wrote: »
    Have you looked at England's cricket team lately? They reached no.1 in the world rankings with the majority of their team (and most of their best players) from overseas.

Not soccer, fwiw the " Irish " cricket team aint much better.
    Look out for the amount of 'ringers' you'll see in the Olympics this summer too.

Again, no interest, has nothing to do with Soccer
    What about that famous Croatian Eduardo da Silva?

He moved to Croatia as a teenager and declared himself for the national team.

Croatia although a decent team are no threat to the best teams in the world thanks to a Brazilian that wont start the Euro's.

His case does happen but not to often.

/ Awaits post about Deco, Santos etc etc

ahem - jack charlton and irish grannies!

Your example just cant and wont happen, its impossible, thats the problem.

However, any club can win trophies, so back in '97 there was a much better chance of City or Chelsea pushing the top clubs in the next 15 years then there was for a situation like the one you posted.

:pac:

5 years previous to that Chelsea had to sell their stadium and grounds to their fans to avoid bankruptcy, and Man City at the time were in the 2nd division about to be relegated to the 3rd, so it's fair to say it would have been pretty f***ing implausible.

There's no reason it technically couldn't happen anyway, any uncapped player can declare for a country once they've lived there 5 years. If you're buying a league's worth of talented 18 year olds on the condition they can't declare for their home country and must declare for yours when eligible there wouldn't be anything against any FIFA rules currently in existence.

Regardless of that, it's a hypothetical question, if it happened, would it be right? Can't or Won't don't come into it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

GEM_13 wrote: »
    No offence now but Utd have bought plenty of leagues themselves.Dignity would not be one of MUFC'S strong points to be fair.
    At least United earned their own money.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    :confused:

I'd imagine if you ate your hat through your arse it would be pretty sore, no?

cournioni wrote: »
    At least United earned their own money.

ah the old chestnut

Why does every chelsea transfer thread become either a

Old money vs New money

or

Its so unfair?

get over it people, the Hulk is coming and its going to be exciting either way and thats what helps keep the EPL going and revenue coming in!
    For everyone!

He moved to Croatia as a teenager and declared himself for the national team.

5 years previous to that Chelsea had to sell their stadium and grounds to their fans to avoid bankruptcy, and Man City at the time were in the 2nd division about to be relegated to the 3rd, so it's fair to say it would have been pretty f***ing implausible.

There's no reason it technically couldn't happen anyway, any uncapped player can declare for a country once they've lived there 5 years. If you're buying a league's worth of talented 18 year olds on the condition they can't declare for their home country and must declare for yours when eligible there wouldn't be anything against any FIFA rules currently in existence.

Regardless of that, it's a hypothetical question, if it happened, would it be right? Can't or Won't don't come into it.

Well if you can convince the best talented youngsters on the planet, who will more then likely go onto play for their own country, to defect and play for someone else then what would be wrong with it?

In reality it doesnt happen, if your good enough to play for your countries national team it usually results in you playing for them.

Take Messi as an example, had the opportunity to play for Spain but stuck with his country of birth.

Not as soona s he got off the plane but eventually ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Chelsea are going to record a £100m+ loss for 2012. At least: it was £70m in 2011. That will be taken into account for the years monitored by FFP
    I dont see why we should be penalised just for being considerably richer than other clubs
    But you're not richer. Your owner is

FFP doesn't penalise clubs like Utd or Real or Munich; that is, major clubs with revenue drawn from their massive fan bases. It is supposed to stop billionaires picking up European trophies like they were designer handbags and horribly distorting the competition in the process. But hey, if you want to form a superleague with City, PSG and Malaga then go ahead

Reekwind wrote: »
    if you want to form a superleague with City, PSG and Malaga then go ahead

Can we?

Yeeeeees. :D

Well if you can convince the best talented youngsters on the planet, who will more then likely go onto play for their own country, to defect and play for someone else then what would be wrong with it?
    QUOTE]

In my opinion there would be a lot wrong with it, but I'd say Eden Hazard would call himself a proud Afgakbakistani if you put enough wedge on the table, and there's a whole breed of footballers coming thru now who you could say the same for.

That was like pulling teeth, it's basically what Chelsea and City do extrapolated to the international stage, so I didn't think you'd be in a hurry to condemn it. ;)

ah the old chestnut

Old money vs New money

or

Its so unfair?

get over it people, the Hulk is coming and its going to be exciting either way and thats what helps keep the EPL going and revenue coming in!
    For everyone!

It's Chelsea fans who are going to have to learn to put up with a bit of jealousy from other fans. You need to get over our sly attacks. Small price to pay for all the bounties coming your way.

Reekwind wrote: »
    Chelsea are going to record a £100m+ loss for 2012. At least: it was £70m in 2011. That will be taken into account for the years monitored by FFP

But you're not richer. Your owner is

FFP doesn't penalise clubs like Utd or Real or Munich; that is, major clubs with revenue drawn from their massive fan bases. It is supposed to stop billionaires picking up European trophies like they were designer handbags and horribly distorting the competition in the process. But hey, if you want to form a superleague with City, PSG and Malaga then go ahead

potato - potato

Look at this way, would you like a league where only one club - Utd have a chance of winning it every year? Only Utd fans would and even some of them would soon feel empty.

Now we have 3 clubs.

Only Liverpool can compete with the global brand of Utd, and yet somehow, that isnt seen as unfair?
    Kids in India support Utd without any real attachment to them at all, is that right?

So what you are saying is that ONLY clubs with MASSIVE fan bases are fair enough to win the league?

What a boring unequal view of things

oh and learn to see a joke when you see one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

potato - potato

Look at this way, would you like a league where only one club - Utd have a chance of winning it every year? Only Utd fans would and even some of them would soon feel empty.

Now we have 3 clubs.

Only Liverpool can compete with the global brand of Utd, and yet somehow, that isnt seen as unfair?
    Kids in India support Utd without any real attachment to them at all, is that right?

So what you are saying is that ONLY clubs with MASSIVE fan bases are fair enough to win the league?

What a boring unequal view of things

oh and learn to see a joke when you see one!

Nah I'd be pretty sure the league would be more exciting if Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool had a chance of a top 3 finish every year.

Anyways, Ye had the 2nd best manager in the world when ye won ye'r league titles and ye don't have a manager now so I don't think City will be worrying about ye yet ;) Or Utd for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Well this thread has gone wildly off topic, any mods around.

So Hulk then, better than kalou

Nah I'd be pretty sure the league would be more exciting if Newcastle, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool had a chance of a top 3 finish every year.

Anyways, Ye had the 2nd best manager in the world when ye won ye'r league titles and ye don't have a manager now so I don't think City will be worrying about ye yet ;) Or Utd for that matter.

nice try - but i think they will - you cannot ignore an attack of

hazard, mata, torres and hulk

its a statement of intent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

You're right. I suspect Utd are too busy worrying about Utd and I'm not too sure about City ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mata is a poor mans Silva, Hulk is overrated, Hazard hasn't played a single EPL game and Torres, well ya know .. :pac:

It is incredibly short-sighted, though. If you can guarantee your owners billions will be there for the foreseeable future, then it is fine. But how can you guarantee that? Sure Abramovich seems to have sticking power but what about the next guy who buys up a club and gets pissed off when he can't win anything. Look at it like this, the more clubs who get bought up by massive owners, the harder it becomes to win trophies. Do we trust these men to stick around and keep pumping money in when the competition makes it so hard to win trophies? There would be many casualties. The FFP rules will hopefully help UEFA and FIFA to rail against that and keep clubs afloat if that were to happen.

• Advertisement

Torres has yet to prove himself at Chelsea. Mata wasn't sensational this season. Best Chelsea had but a poor mans David Silva. Hulk has a powerful shot but we'll see about him. Will prob do alright for ye but won't be the reason for ye winning or losing a league, and Hazard seems like a good buy, but he'd want to be for 16 million a season ;)

Now we have 3 clubs.

6th last season though, yeah? You're gonna have to improve pretty drastically on that regardless of who ye buy before you start considering yourselves title contenders.

6th last season though, yeah? You're gonna have to improve pretty drastically on that regardless of who ye buy before you start considering yourselves title contenders.

Let's not forget Matteo had a worse points average than AVB :pac:

errr- thats why we have spent so much - i feel deja vu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Who's forgetting. It nearly ruined my FA and CL victory celebrations :)
    Let's not forget Matteo had a worse points average than AVB :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I hope you're not one of the people that complains about La Liga.. That's a shocking attitude to have.

bullpost wrote: »

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

bullpost wrote: »

Couldn't stop thinking about it. D'ya think AVB would come back if we asked him nicely? :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

ah the old chestnut

Old money vs New money

or

Its so unfair?
    I have no problem with Chelsea spending silly money on players, that is their prerogative.

However, I do take exception to people lumping United in there with City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga, Anzhi Makhachkalalalalalala etc. United earned their money through the club.

cournioni wrote: »
    I have no problem with Chelsea spending silly money on players, that is their prerogative.

However, I do take exception to people lumping United in there with City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga, Anzhi Makhachkalalalalalala etc. United earned their money through the club.

in fact United's boat is going in the opposite direction completely; their owners are taking money out of the club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement