Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert ?

• 31-05-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 17 and won't be 18 until next April I start my LC on Wednesday and want to go to UCD to study History & English more than anything but i'm not confident that i'll get the points I need. I applied for a PLC course that would have given me access to University next year but I wasn't accepted and my name has been put on a priority waiting list. I really am fu**ed right now and not sure whats going to happen. My principal said if I have to I can repeat my LC next year in school. Can it be done ? I am willing to work but the course changes in stuff like English is it asking too much to repeat ? should I even repeat ?? and what would be the better option, repeating in my old school or going to a speacial repeat school ?
    Not too sure what to do any help would be great!!
    Thanks a million ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lamie

Hey
    I am repeating this year and found it really worthwhile. Gave me more time to think about what I wanted to do anyway. Also I'm not great at languages and dropped irish and french, as I passed them. No stress of orals:D Picked up bio, nice subject and I'm only doing six now. Really waned to do geog as well but the school I went to only allowed me to pick up one subject.
    English course this year changed a bit but if you go to a repeat school they do the whole course in a year. It didn't feel that rushed and some poets will be repeated.
    Just know that there are other options if the L.C. doesn't go to plan. Maybe have a look at Rathmines Liberties PLC, a friend of mine did it a few years ago, and is doing arts in UCD now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

First of all, take a breather, and relax. :)

Now, on to your questions.

You have six days between now and your exams. Make the most of them. You might as well. You have absolutely nothing to lose by putting the head down until they start.

UCD arts points are going down. 355 last year, and I reckon they might go down to around 350 this year. Just letting you know that with a bit of study between now and the exams you could actually surprise yourself and get the points you need. :) I know a few who really shocked themselves last year and got into UCD arts, so all is not lost yet!

If you decide to repeat, do it in a repeat college. I cannot emphasise this enough. If you do it in your old school with the regular sixth years they will be learning new stuff, while you should only be revising it. Most regular 6th years don't get a chance to learn a load of new stuff in 6th and revise everything, whereas in a PLC college you just revise everything.

I think you should apply to another few PLCs. UCD arts accepts ELAXX, a Liberal Arts PLC. You can do this PLC in Rathmines and Liberties and I'm sure other PLC colleges do them also. I would also advise you take a look at TAP, the Trinity Access Programme. I know you want to go into UCD, but the TAP is split into two groups, one has to go to TCD and the other can go to an arts degree where ever they want.

Why do you think you were not accepted into your last PLC? If you decide to apply for another, I can help you out. I've applied for a few and so far I have gotten them all (don't know about TAP yet though, I'll find out in July). So whether you're struggling with the interview, or any essays you have to write (not sure about most PLCs, but I had to write a lot for TAP) or even just finding PLCs that will get you into your course in UCD (just found out ECHSX Cultural and Heritage Studies and ELESX Language and European Studies would also get you in) then PM me and I'll be glad to help. :)

Good luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 19Leinad95

Yeah if I have to repeat i'm looking at Rathmines College a lot of my teachers repeated there. I applied for the Liberal Arts in Liberties College they said I was a very capable and suitable canditate they just don't have enough places and if one becomes avaliable they'll let me know straight away... Is it too late to apply for more PLC's ??

****ting it to be honest but i'll give it me best shot and hope for the best enjoy summer and then when I get me results hope for the best. Going to go out today studying all week, then from tomorrow i'll work me arse off FINGERS CROSSED!!

Thanks a lot for the replies really appreciate it ...

Advertisement