Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Enterprise Board

Options
  • 31-05-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever had any dealings with the city or county enterprise board.
    I've an idea that I'm sure would work but from talking to two people who went to them for help / advice I'm after getting bad feedback.
    Is there any good stories to come from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Slow, generally not that helpful in terms of telling you anything you probably don't already know. Financial assistance for a website is a great help though. Just my experience but I'm sure others have seen the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I have delt with them a few times.
    It is the same as any other aspect of starting a business... You have to never give up and keep going till you get the answer you want.

They can be slow but as I said above if you want there support (financially and advice) enough then I am sure you will get it.

I also have a new product and will be approching them soon again. You will have to fill in a form just to get a meeting which is a bit annoying but I think from their point this process stops the less serious going through the process and weeds out the serious from the not so.

I you need any advice I am more than happy to help as I have been through a few businesses and have gotten most if not all the grants available.

GOOD LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jimbo1979

I have a business idea and am going to call into them next week.has anyone else found the city enterprise helping in both starting up and funding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

jimbo1979 wrote: »
    I have a business idea and am going to call into them next week.has anyone else found the city enterprise helping in both starting up and funding ?

Not unless it involves importing or exporting internationally.
    I had an idea myself which if successful could have taken off nationally.
    No help from the board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

cococoady wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever had any dealings with the city or county enterprise board.
    I've an idea that I'm sure would work but from talking to two people who went to them for help / advice I'm after getting bad feedback.
    Is there any good stories to come from there?

How did the idea go in the end? Are you now a millionaire? :pac:

• Advertisement

Not unless it involves importing or exporting internationally.
    I had an idea myself which if successful could have taken off nationally.
    No help from the board

That's a pity that you got no help with them.was it a straight out no with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I did a business course with them about 14 years ago, it was very good. I didn't get financial help, I didn't need it but I think some other people on the course may have gotten a grant, they did show others where they could apply for a grant. They don't give a grant if your idea is similiar to an existing business. They helped everyone draw up a business plan that would be useful if approaching a bank for a business loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

That's a pity that you got no help with them.was it a straight out no with them?

Sure was.
    WE were told, unless you can improve GDP/GNP and hire over 50 employees we cant support you. We are only interested in business that are manufacturing or logistical based, niot services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

When dealing with the enterprise board just make sure your idea doesn't cause displacement of already established businesses otherwise they wont touch it with a bargepole

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The bottom line is you have nothing to lose by talking to them, its easy find people who will say they are no use but it depends on what you are looking for from them.

They can be very helpful and there are some grants available but if your plan is to go in with an idea and hope they are going to give you a load of money you will be disappointed (Unfortunately a lot of people think thats how they work).

The Enterprise Board or Local Enterprise office as they are now known only deal with businesses with less than 10 employees so are you sure its the same group you were dealing with aaaaaaaahhhhhh.

If I can help you in any other way with specifics PM me, I still have dealings with the LEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

helped someone i know gave them a bit of advice who dealt with the county enterprise they had a website idea the person was told there was no funding for websites.

also they wont give grants out if you dont have a physical business unless that has changed since.

Sure was.
    WE were told, unless you can improve GDP/GNP and hire over 50 employees we cant support you. We are only interested in business that are manufacturing or logistical based, niot services.

Finally after waiting to get a meeting with them last week.was shot down in less than 2 minutes when I said I was importing in food/beverages to open a shop to sell which would create employment.they told me they don't support anything in importing its only for businesses that are exporting.I may think about something else to start then

Finally after waiting to get a meeting with them last week.was shot down in less than 2 minutes when I said I was importing in food/beverages to open a shop to sell which would create employment.they told me they don't support anything in importing its only for businesses that are exporting.I may think about something else to start then

If you think its a profitable business then why would you give up on the idea?

What were you expecting or looking for from the enterprise board?

Is it that you won't/can't start it without funding from someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

If it a viable business and you have a business plan then its a bank you need to talk to, not the enterprise board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Here's a competition for new companies: http://www.intertradeireland.com/seedcorn/

If it a viable business and you have a business plan then its a bank you need to talk to, not the enterprise board.

Don't think its viable as if it was no one would give up like that...

To give up after 2 minutes because someone wont give you a grant or money.

Think you need to find a job and forget about being self-employed if you give up that easy. I'M SHOCKED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Did you not look at their website?
    It tells you what they and don't fund.

Advertisement