Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS degree + CCNA?

Options
  • 31-05-2012 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Next year im going into my third year of Bsc Comp.Science & IT in NUIG. I was thinking about doing the CCNA over my spare time during the summer (Currently an IBM intern) and then over first semester of college.

To me it looks like a no brainer, would be great on a CV for a grad/for internships etc .. would open up jobs other than Soft.eng etc as I'm not particularly head over heels about software engineering

Just wanted to see what people thought about this idea, i.e. would it be worth it with the degree and is it the right time etc

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

definitely! especially if you are looking to get away from soft eng, will give you a great chance of a job/internship in support, networking etc. It wont be the easiest mind you if you havent done much networking in college you could be in for a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Rossin wrote: »
    definitely! especially if you are looking to get away from soft eng, will give you a great chance of a job/internship in support, networking etc. It wont be the easiest mind you if you havent done much networking in college you could be in for a shock!

Thanks for that :)

Well id hope to be able to land a better upvto start than support, assuming you mean helpdesk stuff. I don't really know where I would be heading but sys.stuff looks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I started on help-desk but admittedly I didn't have a degree then, sys admin now which is what I wanted son i'm glad I served my time on the help-desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

With a full Computer Science degree, some real-world IT work experience (IBM), and a CCNA, you should have no problems gettings a job. On paper anyway!

Advertisement