Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know this photo?

• 01-06-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find a picture I remember seeing a while back. It's of two football (I think) fans from opposing teams watching a riot happening between fans of the two clubs. I can't seem to find it anywhere, so if anyone has any idea of what I'm talking about, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'm pretty sure the photo you're talking about is Materazzi of Inter Milan and Rui Costa of AC Milan as they were waiting for flares to be cleared off the pitch.

materazziampruicosta_164408.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

That's the one! Cheers! Don't know why I thought they were looking at a crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

just to mention you cant use that image in any way without permission from the photographer (even posting it here is breaking the law).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

Corkbah wrote: »
    just to mention you cant use that image in any way without permission from the photographer (even posting it here is breaking the law).

I'll say we'll be grand out! I've seen it on Facebook a good few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

*facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

sineadw wrote: »
    *facepalm*

+1!!

Only because you've seen it on FB several time doesn't mean the photographer lost his/her copyright on it. And most likely he/she didn't give it away.

It only means a lot of people broke the copyright law!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

xia wrote: »
    +1!!

Only because you've seen it on FB several time doesn't mean the photographer lost his/her copyright on it. And most likely he/she didn't give it away.

It only means a lot of people broke the copyright law!

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch on the copyright law, but I thought that if it were for personal use, you can use it however you want? It's only breaking the law if you use it commercially (although it could be argued an internet forum that benefits from ad revenue is using it commercially).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

bluto63 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a bit out of touch on the copyright law, but I thought that if it were for personal use, you can use it however you want? It's only breaking the law if you use it commercially (although it could be argued an internet forum that benefits from ad revenue is using it commercially).

Totally incorrect.

No one may use the image without the expressed permission of the copyright holder, subject to some conditions/exclusions, but no, you can't just take someone else's work and use it any way you want just because it's for personal use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

bluto63 wrote: »
    It's only breaking the law if you use it commercially....

It's ok to steal a chocolate bar, provided that you eat it yourself?

Theft is theft, regardless of whether we are talking about a chocolate bar,
    stolen music, or stolen images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Paulw wrote: »
    Totally incorrect.

No one may use the image without the expressed permission of the copyright holder, subject to some conditions/exclusions, but no, you can't just take someone else's work and use it any way you want just because it's for personal use.

Fair use is a pretty broad field, in fairness. You're free to use the image for anything educational, for example.
    hbr wrote: »
    It's ok to steal a chocolate bar, provided that you eat it yourself?

I'm so sick of this stupidity. If it was a magic chocolate bar that made a copy of itself everytime someone stole it so that both the original owner and the thief then had a chocolate bar then it would be comparable. The reason people feel the need to resort to comparisons with the theft of physical objects is because such theft is much worse; you deny the owner possession of the item. It's disingenuous and pretty dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Zillah wrote: »
    Fair use is a pretty broad field, in fairness. You're free to use the image for anything educational, for example.

I'm so sick of this stupidity. If it was a magic chocolate bar that made a copy of itself everytime someone stole it so that both the original owner and the thief then had a chocolate bar then it would be comparable. The reason people feel the need to resort to comparisons with the theft of physical objects is because such theft is much worse; you deny the owner possession of the item. It's disingenuous and pretty dumb.

The metaphor of stealing something tangible may not be the most accurate, but the point its making remains the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm so sick of this stupidity. If it was a magic chocolate bar that made a copy of itself everytime someone stole it so that both the original owner and the thief then had a chocolate bar then it would be comparable.

If you don't like the chocolate bar analogy, how about a newspaper, CD or
    DVD where the physical medium is virtually worthless and you only pay
    for the content?

Is stealing any of these items any worse than other forms of copyright theft?
    I say it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

lets look at this

copyright Copy ..... right

is a right to copy if you put it in your facebook account you take a copy of the file this is copy of the file that you have no right to have

you have breached copyright on the image.

Advertisement