Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much work for medicine?

• 01-06-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just wondering how much work will i have to put in for medicine? I just finished fourth year and have picked my subjects

Maths(H) English(H) Irish(O) History(H) the three sciences(H) and
    app maths(H)

What im wondering is how much work would i have to put in to get medicine?
    would i have to study every day until sixth year or what?

im confident enough i can do good in the hpat we did the DATS this year and i got in the 80's and 90's percentile for most of the things on the test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Just keep on top of everything this year, make notes, do your homework and make sure you understand what's going on in class. You definitely don't need to study every day but just make sure you stay on top of all your work.

Also, don't go by DATS for the HPAT. I got over 90 in all the DATS sections and did a horrendous HPAT. It's not the same at all.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Alright thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

As deathbythelc said, DATS is NOTHING compared to the HPAT. I too just finished fourth year and want medicine but it is important to remember that you could change your mind at ANY moment. Be open-minded about other options but if you are 100% you want medicine then go for it! Work hard and it's not the end of the world if you don't get it :)

GOOD LUCK!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

The hpat is a lot more difficult than the dats. I got 99th percentile in abstract reasoning in the dats, but only 53/100 in section 3 in the hpat, which is based on abstract reasoning. I don't think dats scores and hpat scores would be very comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Not much work for medicine. Just cram for the HPAT the night before and you will reach 100th percentile. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Just wondering how much work will i have to put in for medicine? I just finished fourth year and have picked my subjects

Maths(H) English(H) Irish(O) History(H) the three sciences(H) and
    app maths(H)

What im wondering is how much work would i have to put in to get medicine?
    would i have to study every day until sixth year or what?

Not saying its easy by any means, but if you keep well on top of everything, doing little bits through fifth year, sixth year is nowhere near as bad as you think.

Honestly, don't leave it all until sixth year, makes it far worse for yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

reznov wrote: »
    Not much work for medicine. Just cram for the HPAT the night before and you will reach 100th percentile. :cool:

Poor form bro, gotta up the quality of your jokes. I stalk your profiler daily for the laughs but you've been lacking lately. Up your game

*Constructive criticism nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

You wont get medicine if you don't have a language? Maybe unless its Trinity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Poor form bro, gotta up the quality of your jokes. I stalk your profiler daily for the laughs but you've been lacking lately. Up your game

Personally, I'm getting quite tired of the attitude.

This is the LC forum, reznov, for ALL those doing LC, not just somewhere to show off how cool / clever you are to your peers.

Especially over the next few weeks, my tolerance levels for such will be low; consider this a gentle warning.

The LC is around the corner, what do you expect? :(

• Advertisement

Personally, I'm getting quite tired of the attitude.

This is the LC forum, reznov, for ALL those doing LC, not just somewhere to show off how cool / clever you are to your peers.

Especially over the next few weeks, my tolerance levels for such will be low; consider this a gentle warning.

Am I preventing or refusing entry to the LC forum? I'm no gatekeeper, nor do I attempt to show off how clever or cool I am. That's a really sad description in all honesty. I just have a lighthearted attitude to this whole experience and have recently been trying to help out to those who need it, aside from my clearly joking, pointless responses.
    After the LC I may not even be here so have little regard for your tolerance level as it won't affect me.

Well thanks everyone for enlightening me on the hpat not being comparable to the dats.
    I guess when sixth year comes around i might just get sample papers.
    I think they sell them on the official hpat website anyway.

KKBL wrote: »
    You wont get medicine if you don't have a language? Maybe unless its Trinity...

Ya trinity is the only place I can go.Although I was considering to keep french instead of dropping it for history so I would have more options.only problem is im not good at french so i wouldn't see myself getting as much points.

Well thanks everyone for enlightening me on the hpat not being comparable to the dats.

From my experience of the HPAT, the official samples weren't as challenging as the actual exam. Perhaps this is due to stress, or pressure on the day of examination. But see if you could obtain a sample for free from somewhere else first before ordering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Ya trinity is the only place I can go.Although I was considering to keep french instead of dropping it for history so I would have more options.only problem is im not good at french so i wouldn't see myself getting as much points.

You have seven higher level subjects so my advice would be to drop History and do ordinary level French. No point giving yourself a bigger workload than you need, plus, History is a horrible subject for the Leaving Cert (in my experience). It's nowhere near as nice as it is for the Junior Cert, and even at that level it's very hard to get an A in it!

Togepi wrote: »
    You have seven higher level subjects so my advice would be to drop History and do ordinary level French. No point giving yourself a bigger workload than you need, plus, History is a horrible subject for the Leaving Cert (in my experience). It's nowhere near as nice as it is for the Junior Cert, and even at that level it's very hard to get an A in it!

History is very challenging. We have only one student in our school whos deemed as someone able for an A. An insane workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

From my experience of the HPAT, the official samples weren't as challenging as the actual exam. Perhaps this is due to stress, or pressure on the day of examination. But see if you could obtain a sample for free from somewhere else first before ordering.

Agreed, and if I get Medicine this year I will sell you all my past papers(about 600 questions) for a 'pins fee' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just chiming in about the horrors of history. Unless you're an extremely avid reader of history books, I highly advise against it - its a horrible, horrible subject. I'd stick with your 7 honours or do geography/economics if you really want an 8th :)

So there isn't actually anyway to prepare for it?.I just have to hope for the best really then????

Ya i think you all have convinced me not to do history.I just remembered that my brother did history got an A for the jc and a D for the lc.I just hope that I will be allowed to take back up french after telling them already i didn't want to do it.My french teacher isn't likely going to back me up either since we don't really get along.I guess I would be doing ordinary french so it shouldn't really matter since its a different teacher and the class is far from full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Yes definitely do this, at the very least! I only did one sample paper (and that seems to be the minimum anyone's done :L) but it was a huge help with timing and getting used to the question types. The sample papers are actual past hpats, I can't emphasize the importance of doing these enough.

Also, would you not consider maybe doing pass French to keep your options open? Trinity has the highest medicine points in the country, and if it's really all you want to do you might be kicking yourself if you missed out on galway or rcsi just because you didn't have French.

finality wrote: »
    Yes definitely do this, at the very least! I only did one sample paper (and that seems to be the minimum anyone's done :L) but it was a huge help with timing and getting used to the question types. The sample papers are actual past hpats, I can't emphasize the importance of doing these enough.

Also, would you not consider maybe doing pass French to keep your options open? Trinity has the highest medicine points in the country, and if it's really all you want to do you might be kicking yourself if you missed out on galway or rcsi just because you didn't have French.

Ya im gonna do pass french now assuming they will allow me to change back to it.
    When I go back to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Am I preventing or refusing entry to the LC forum? I'm no gatekeeper, nor do I attempt to show off how clever or cool I am. That's a really sad description in all honesty. I just have a lighthearted attitude to this whole experience and have recently been trying to help out to those who need it, aside from my clearly joking, pointless responses.
    ... and the nub of the matter is in the phrase I have highlighted.

To those who are regulars and have interacted with you all year in the OT thread, such responses as the above will probably be seen as just how you have described them: joking and pointless.

However, to newbies and non-regulars, this is likely to be far less obvious, and some at least of your responses are likely to come across as unhelpful and unwelcoming.

As moderators we have a responsibility to ALL posters and indeed potential posters, not just a select few.

After the LC I may not even be here so have little regard for your tolerance level as it won't affect me.
    In the interim, and for as long as you choose to use this forum, you most certainly will give due regard to my views and the views of the other forum moderators.

I would also draw your attention to the general Boards FAQs / guidelines and to this item in particular:

"It is against the rules to argue with a moderator action in such a way that it drags a discussion off-topic from its original goal (short: never argue with a mod in-thread - it almost always leads to a ban). Always attempt to message the moderator via the Private Messaging system before making a scene out of something."

This discussion is now at an end. If you are unclear on something, please PM me.

So there isn't actually anyway to prepare for it?.I just have to hope for the best really then????

It all depends on the person. Many find prep courses helpful, others are perfectly capable without them. It doesn't mean you're an idiot if you need extra practice, so don't be afraid to gather as many resources possible and practice.

Advertisement