Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas thread

• 31-05-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Playing LA Noire right now and I think that would be a perfect sized map for the city. Obviously have the desert, or woodland or whatever else around it but for the actual city, that would be plenty. Think back to GTA III and VC, you knew those maps inside out. For SA you knew most of it. GTA IV, I'm guessing you only knew bits and pieces of it. The maps can get too big and for me, that takes some of the fun away. Not sure what the size is compared to GTA IV, but for me the LA Noire size would be perfect.

Hmmm, I'm surprised you find it easier to know the LA Noire map than GTAIV... I 100%'d LA Noire, but my knowledge of the city was very limited. Couldn't tell you how to get from one area to the next..

Playing through GTAIV right now, and instantly got my bearings back. I pretty much know the Hove Beach, Dukes, Steinway, Bohan, Northwood and Middle Park areas off by heart. I thought IV was the best map of all the GTA games I've played. The only area I didn't know that well was Alderney, mainly because I never went there except to do missions.

I reckon a good size for Los Santos (the city) would be Algonquin combined with Bohan. Maybe a little bigger (take Charge Island and maybe Steinway as well). Combine that with decent bit of countryside and I'd be happy as a pig in sh1t.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

With GTA IV you know areas, but I found Im picking up the locations in LA Noire much quicker. Don't get me wrong, the first time I drove the length of the map I thought I had turned back on myself it was taking so long. I played IV, TLAD and TBOGT but can still only know some areas of the map. If I ended up with five star wanted level, I had to get the map up to see where the hell I was and where I needed to head. The exception being the first island where I spent most of my time. I have spent less time on LA Noire but would be much more confidant of finding an escape route in that without needing the map.

When I started it, my first thought was the map was way too big. But now that I only have one more case to do, I'm after figuring it out for the most part.

I suppose it could be countered by having you spend time in more areas while doing the missions. I'm guessing most people know the first island the best in all the GTA games because you spent most of your time there.

LA Noire helped me learn LA. I find myself watching some shows and knowing what street it is on. I hope GTA 5 has a huge map. I'm replaying SA and the cities are so small. I would love a huge LA Noire type of map with extra bits added. I what to feel that the drive from the center of LS to the countryside is a long journey not to be taken likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I'm currently in the middle of downloading San Andreas on the Xbox marketplace, i was 8 when this game first came out, cant wait to play it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I knew SA inside out. Not really a big gamer anymore but I play GTA IV when I've free time. About 50% complete and I have the game for a year now. I don't always do missions though I enjoy re-enacting the bus scene from speed or just shooting people from roof tops etc hence the 50% but as for maps size it's great the bigger the better for me. If I know the place like the back of my hand it gets boring for me, I like discovering new things each time I play.

Definately needs deserts and countryside, with big citys unlike the smallish blips inbetween that were SA. Getting bored of the United States too I must admit. It could've done with going to back London or maybe Moscow and the like would've been cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I'm currently in the middle of downloading San Andreas on the Xbox marketplace, i was 8 when this game first came out, cant wait to play it again!

Saw that the other day, could you tell me two things:

1) The filesize
    2) Achievements? Yay or nay? (I'm assuming nay, but just curious)

Considering getting it myself for nostalgia's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I'd honestly be very confident that after say, 5-10 minutes of driving around any GTA from III upward, that I'd know my way around. I played the arse out of every GTA from PS2 era onwards so the memories are still pretty good.

The only place I'd have a lack of knowledge would be the countryside North of Los Santos. Never really drove those areas other than for missions.
    The Missions with Catalina :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

markc91 wrote: »
    The Missions with Catalina :p

YES! :D Crazy whoor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Catalina was awesome :D

Shame she died, she should have been used much more than she was.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Saw that the other day, could you tell me two things:

1) The filesize

Considering getting it myself for nostalgia's sake.

2.87 Gig, couldn't tell you about the achievements yet man, it still hasn't finished downloading, it takes a few hours :( It's gonna be worth the wait though, It'll take me back a few years alright.

Can't wait to get listening to K-DST and Radio Los Santos again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It would be so excellent if the xbox originals had cheevos but none of them do.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    2.87 Gig, couldn't tell you about the achievements yet man, it still hasn't finished downloading, it takes a few hours :( It's gonna be worth the wait though, It'll take me back a few years alright.

Can't wait to get listening to K-DST and Radio Los Santos again :D

Damn, at >2GB it's not possible for me to download it (that capped broadband I ranted about earlier :pac:)

Have it on the PS2 still, but really don't like going back to the old DualShock after the 360 controller.
    CMpunked wrote: »
    It would be so excellent if the xbox originals had cheevos but none of them do.

Dang. :(

Well I guess it was a little too much to expect, would be class though if they had 'em.

Was I the only one that kinda hated Catalina? That mission on the quad bikes really pissed me off and kinda put me off her. :P

• Advertisement

Damn, at >2GB it's not possible for me to download it (that capped broadband I ranted about earlier :pac:)

Have it on the PS2 still, but really don't like going back to the old DualShock after the 360 controller.

Dang. :(

Well I guess it was a little too much to expect, would be class though if they had 'em.

Was I the only one that kinda hated Catalina? That mission on the quad bikes really pissed me off and kinda put me off her. :P
    Try playing it on PC. You need four hands to fly a plane (hated those missions) As for the Quad bikes I drive up in the dirt bike and just switch over.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Try playing it on PC. You need four hands to fly a plane (hated those missions) As for the Quad bikes I drive up in the dirt bike and just switch over.

Ah don't talk to me about the feckin' planes! I've never actually finished SA because of 'em.

Might be worth getting it on PC now that you mention it...

There is a cheat to skip missions on the PC version. After hundreds of failed attempts at the flying school I had a look and seen one for the PC but not PS2. Had to keep going until I got it. That's a big reason for me not wanting to play SA again, I don't want that headache again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I gave up on SA due to those ****ing planes too and its a shame as I was actually enjoying the game up until that :(

I'm so glad it wasn't just me! :')

Dreading the point where i come to them missions, im really enjoying it this time, only about 10-15 missions in atm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah they were fairly easy once you followed the instructions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Moved some chat out the V thread about SA. Feel free to throw around the hatred for those feckin flying missions.

I personally hated the remote control plane ones. :mad::mad:

So yeah, please try and keep the V thread for news/rumors/whatever pertaining to GTA-V. :)

Liam O wrote: »

They handled like a hyperactive tank! Sensitive turn but far too wide meaning if you don't have it lined up perfectly, you're not getting a second chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Indeed, currently going through SA, stupid remote planes from Zero are an absolute chore to do.

• Advertisement

Indeed, currently going through SA, stupid remote planes from Zero are an absolute chore to do.

They don't count towards 100%. I think you only have to do the first one to make it an asset. The others are optional. Just as well too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Certainly agree about the radio controlled airplanes - a bugger to fly. And not only that they're bloody hard to shoot down too. Personally I found the hardest mission to complete in SA was the one where you're manning a (mini?) gun under attack from waves of little model planes. Fortunately you don't need to be successful to actually complete the game. In my opinion the older games tended to have more tricky missions that although could be frustrating were very satisfying to finish. GTAIV was a little easy...

Personally I loved flying the 'real' planes in SA and although they take a little getting used to are then quite fun to fly. I seem to remember flying helicopters were rather tricky initially too but you persist and the air becomes a great and fast way to navigate around the vast maps.

I'm so used to driving in GTA 4 that i keep trying to do J turns in san andreas, it's just not happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Gives me a hankering to play San Andreas again. Too bad its not in the ps2 classics section of the PS Store.
    Maybe closer to GTA V's release but who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Yeah, been thinking about digging the ps2 from the loft and playing a bit of SA. Must be getting GTA withdrawal symptoms. Roll on number V....

Liam O wrote: »

No they feckin' weren't! :mad::mad: :P

Hated them with a passion, have never gotten past the "Circle Airfield" one. Doubt I ever will at this stage tbh.

Oh those RC ones were torture, but since they didn't count towards the story I just skipped past them.

Got a real temptation to play through the Los Santos missions again. Everything up until Sweet gets ambushed by the Ballas is epic!

So it seems nearly everyone hated the flying missions.

Hopefully they leave the flying school out for V, or at least make it optional. There wasn't much flying in IV so I'm hoping they keep it like that.

So it seems nearly everyone hated the flying missions.

Hopefully they leave the flying school out for V, or at least make it optional. There wasn't much flying in IV so I'm hoping they keep it like that.

A lot of people bitched about the loss of planes in IV when it came out though... Will be interesting to see whether they bring them back or not...

Although, I guess with a different control scheme they might have been more manageable. The triggers on the 360 controller to use as throttle and brakes would make it easier I reckon.

A lot of people bitched about the loss of planes in IV when it came out though... Will be interesting to see whether they bring them back or not...

Although, I guess with a different control scheme they might have been more manageable. The triggers on the 360 controller to use as throttle and brakes would make it easier I reckon.

I'd like them to be in it, but don't want anything like SA where you were forced to use them. Have them be optional to use. Maybe a heist mission where you're given the option of flying or standing guard.

• Advertisement

I think the controls will be like the helicopter which would be lovely. Maybe take the plane controls for the Saints Row games. I was playing SA and saw a group of people I tried to run them over but they are build like a brick sh1t house and stop the car dead.

Advertisement