Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Riddle101

wadacrack wrote: »
    GTA San andreas was def teh best gta of all time

I don't know I think it's a tie between San Andreas and Vice City. Although SA had the better gameplay, but I think VC had the better story, characters and wasn't so bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Best thing about SA was that you could do so much outside of the mission . Go to the gym , get fat , get clothes , haircuts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Miccoli wrote: »
    Best thing about SA was that you could do so much outside of the mission . Go to the gym , get fat , get clothes , haircuts etc
    Quite possibly the worst additions to the series!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

The gym was the best mini game in SA. The Kung Fu skill was great too. I want that back plus the song "kung fu fighting" by Carl Douglas. You walk into the dojo (or whatever it's called in Chinese martial arts) and that plays. The original 70s version, not the lame 90s one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭Penn

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Quite possibly the worst additions to the series!

Have to agree. The whole eating/energy/strength aspect of the game was the biggest downside of the game for me. I don't mind the eating thing in GTAIV because that's your health. In SA though, the whole energy thing, or having your stomach rumbling while trying to be on a rampage etc... One of the reasons I put Vice City over San Andreas is because San Andreas was just a case of throwing so much stuff at the wall and hoping it all stuck. The eating and gym stuff being a prime example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Penn wrote: »
    Have to agree. The whole eating/energy/strength aspect of the game was the biggest downside of the game for me. I don't mind the eating thing in GTAIV because that's your health. In SA though, the whole energy thing, or having your stomach rumbling while trying to be on a rampage etc... One of the reasons I put Vice City over San Andreas is because San Andreas was just a case of throwing so much stuff at the wall and hoping it all stuck. The eating and gym stuff being a prime example.

I actually like that they were so ambitious. They also tried to implement that if you got busted, your car would automatically be transported to the police impound lot, didn't always work so wasn't an official feature, but shows how thorough they were for extras to the main story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just watched the GTA V trailer and got hit with a sense of nostalgia, so logged into my old Steam account and bought SA. Although my favourite GTA is a toss up between SA and VC, I've cleared III and VC at least 3 times each across different platforms, but was only able to finish SA once on PS2 (couldn't complete a later mission due to control issues on cracked PC version).

I spent a lot of time playing MTA:SA Race. After a bit of googling, I found that it is possible to get it working with the Steam version, albeit a little tricky. Does/did anyone play MTA Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I bought it on Steam and downgraded it so I could install mods, although getting SAMI to work is a bitch - I have a Honda Civic that sounds like a 50s lowrider. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭steve_r

guttenberg wrote: »
    I actually like that they were so ambitious. They also tried to implement that if you got busted, your car would automatically be transported to the police impound lot, didn't always work so wasn't an official feature, but shows how thorough they were for extras to the main story.

I'm playing SA through for the first time since I cleared it wayback. I'm really enjoying it, the scale is insane, I've recently played through GTA 3 and Vice City and this is just so much bigger and better.

As regards the extra features (eating/fashion etc) I'm just ignoring them. I think you can take or leave them tbh. they do help with the overall "World building" aspect. GTA has always been a series to push the boundries so I like to see this sort of stuff, even if I do ignore it!

Also on SA, in my head I'd always considered the VC storyline the best but I'd forgotten how good the voice acting/plot is in SA.

Cleared it about 2 weeks ago. I spent about 2 weeks playing it and was hooked from start to finish, wasting pretty much all my spare time playing it. On PC, its pretty buggy, but once you find workarounds, it is tremendous fun. Graphics are badly dated, but a few hours in and you quickly forget about them.

The music is great. Next time that I'm driving through the countryside, I'll be tempted to cut into a field and yell "hold the liiiiine - love isn't always on tiiiiime - no no no no".

I found the flying missions easy and cleared them on first attempts. Maybe its because I spent so much time playing MTA Race back in the day that I figured the knack for it. Just tilt the plane in the direction you want to go and pull up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Downloaded this from the PSN Store over the weekend, graphics are pretty sh!t but half an hour into the game you forget all about that as you cruise around with the tunes blaring, hours playing pass by in what seems like seconds. Great missions, great story.

Great games create an atmosphere which no amount of fancy graphics can make up for, everything about this game is right especially the soundtracks.

Been a while since I've enjoyed a game so much(probably since I played it first time round)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How the hell do you do the Circle Airfield mission, I can't do it! :mad:

How the hell do you do the Circle Airfield mission, I can't do it! :mad:
    I found swearing to help. Didnt make it any easier but it helps. :D

Just remember the next mission is the same in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I found swearing to help. Didnt make it any easier but it helps. :D

Just remember the next mission is the same in reverse.

**** it, I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So much to do in this game, spent longer than I ever have in the driving school and got the Hotknife after getting all 100% gold medals. Beast of a machine. Just starting the Toreno missions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Liam O wrote: »
    So much to do in this game, spent longer than I ever have in the driving school and got the Hotknife after getting all 100% gold medals. Beast of a machine. Just starting the Toreno missions now.

Get the flight school finished ASAP, or you'll get hounded with phonecalls about it! Still can't watch a James Woods film without uttering something under my breath:D

guttenberg wrote: »
    Get the flight school finished ASAP, or you'll get hounded with phonecalls about it! Still can't watch a James Woods film without uttering something under my breath:D
    Did it earlier, all 100%, handy enough, the target one took a couple of goes and there was a glitch where my parachute didn't open once but overall was able to get 100% on all of them within 2 or 3 goes, nowhere near as challenging as the driving school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

One thing about GTA IV is the lack of randomness.

In San Andreas I love the random police chases, do I help the police or block the criminal? :D

I dunno if that happens in IV, I haven't played much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Random plane crashes seemed to be a regular occurrence in SA. You'd be driving along and a plane would fall out of the sky close by.

I remember the first time it happened, I was amazed. Then after months of playing it, they just became a normal thing.

"Down goes another one."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

J. Marston wrote: »
    Random plane crashes seemed to be a regular occurrence in SA. You'd be driving along and a plane would fall out of the sky close by.

I remember the first time it happened, I was amazed. Then after months of playing it, they just became a normal thing.

"Down goes another one."

You'll love this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBT9UiI-j8&t=10s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Does this hold up as well as I'm hoping playing it now? Thinking about buying it but wondering is it worth it, what with rose tinted glasses and so on, meh what am I saying, of course it's worth it!

J. Marston wrote: »

"Down goes another one."

That was a coding issue. Planes had one only route and would crash into buildings instead of going around them. Can only recall it happening in San Fierro for me.
    Does this hold up as well as I'm hoping playing it now? Thinking about buying it but wondering is it worth it, what with rose tinted glasses and so on, meh what am I saying, of course it's worth it!

Yes. The graphics arent great but the game play is. Give it 30 minutes to get used to everything again and you'll be flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The plane crashes were brilliant I was playing san andreas years ago, cycling by the vinewood sign on a mountain bike when a plane hit it :D

I remember playing gta iv when it first came out and I was driving down the road and out of absolutely nowhere somebody fired an rpg into the air somewhere down the street from me, anybody ever come across anything like that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Riddle101

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The plane crashes were brilliant I was playing san andreas years ago, cycling by the vinewood sign on a mountain bike when a plane hit it :D

I remember playing gta iv when it first came out and I was driving down the road and out of absolutely nowhere somebody fired an rpg into the air somewhere down the street from me, anybody ever come across anything like that??

I remember the plane crashes alright. I love when random things like that happen in GTA games. I remember in one mission where you have to save CJ's future girlfriend inside a burning house, I got right to her house and as she was going inside, an ambulance crashed into her house and ran her over.

I loved loading a game from the safe house on the middle island of III. Basically, every time I emerged onto the street on foot, a car was just overturned at the traffic lights for no reason, went on fire and exploded, taking out everybody nearby. Cue loads of pedestrians running away screaming :D

Was doing the quadbike mission with Catalina a couple of weeks back and the lads you are chasing all split up, followed one, killed him, fell off the quad and picked up the money on the ground, waiting for Catalina to get back on the quadbike one of the lads that should have been miles in front of me at this stage just flattens Catalina from behind making me fail the mission. It was like he realised what was happening and circled back around to take her out, was too funny to be annoyed though :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

San Andreas is on sale for €7.50 on PSN for 1 week. Great Price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This talk about random San Andreas stuff happening reminds me of my favourite San Andreas video

sheehy83 wrote: »
    San Andreas is on sale for €7.50 on PSN for 1 week. Great Price.

Got it today, can't wait to get stuck in!

• Advertisement

Just had an epic GTA moment. Doing the mission for Big Smoke after wrong side of the tracks, your on the back of a bike being chased by the russians while Big Smoke drives. Perfect timing, just as the chase starts RATM's Killing in the Name on comes on blaring :D

Advertisement