Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaadin

Options
  • 01-06-2012 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Has anyone worked with this before? In work I have been asked to revamp a website using it. I have never heard of it and wonder is it any good

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Had a presentation on it in work from a guy who really likes it. Seems good in terms of good linkage between beans & front-end. Depends on your skill-set though.

If you're a Java dev looking for a quick way to give your app a web UI, I'd say go for it. Wearing my front-end dev. hat though, I'm never a fan of auto-generated HTML — always seems a bit dirty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garyleeson

Vaadin is very good if you are a Java developer and have developed a number of swing app using the Eclipse IDE's and want to produce a web 2.0/ajax kind of app at speed. If you are coming from a HTML world with little Java knowledge then you are going to have a long learning curve. Personally I like Vaadin and its brother GWT a lot in comparison to the likes of JSP and JSF.

However when it comes down to it - what are you trying to do that is important. What Kind of website - electronic commerce, blog etc. Once we have this kind of information we maybe able to help a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Well guys im a java developer. my current company only do Swing GUIS but now need to develop a reporting tool that will be web based.

my own backround is web technologies such as jsp struts and jquery but purely from a easy cross over perspective we will be pushing ahead with vaadin as most of the developers have little to no web based experience. i just read the vaadin website and a pdf on their website. im guessing you still have to write all the css style sheets?

im not fan of using vaadin just because i feel this is a cross over platform to ease swing developers into web sites. i feel i will hit problems and limitations because of this. instead of biting the bullet and doing "pure" web technologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3 garyleeson

There is very little in "pure" web technology unless you just only use HTML and CSS - dynamic stuff such as Ajax are all just a "fudge" to get client/server communication other than the usual post/create/get/delete of the web spec and produce more "dynamic" GUI's. JSP/Struts/Wicket/velocity/freemarker et al are all just request-response handlers with a templating/rendering engine - which puts them in your Vaadin/GWT "impure" bucket.

Anyway I digress; Yes at the lowest level customizing is look and feel is based around style sheets; Personally "theming" as it is called is the weakest part of Vaadin. Its consistent, but not a flexible as I would like.

Advertisement