Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Spelling in Job Applications

• 01-06-2012 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was wondering how do people feel about bad spelling and grammar in job application letters and in CVs?

Do you think that HR Managers get negative impressions about people who send in applications that have poor spelling and grammar?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I was wondering how do people feel about bad spelling and grammar in job application letters and in CVs?

Do you think that HR Managers get negative impressions about people who send in applications that have poor spelling and grammar?

Put them straight in the bin.
    The resicle bin that is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Put them straight in the bin.
    The resicle bin that is ;)

Nice touch, there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elainecrowlee

*recycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It absolutely will have an effect on the HR persons perception of somebody.

I employ a few people and if I get something like that it's into the bin regardless. I completely understand that someone may not have the greatest spelling/writing/grammar but in this day and age everything is done by computer. If somebody is too lazy to use spell check then he's too lazy to work for me!!

It absolutely will have an effect on the HR persons perception of somebody.

I employ a few people and if I get something like that it's into the bin regardless. I completely understand that someone may not have the greatest spelling/writing/grammar but in this day and age everything is done by computer. If somebody is too lazy to use spell check then he's too lazy to work for me!!

Do you get this type of job applications often? Is it more common in cover letters or CVs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

No, eye donte tink speling haz much efeckt on whetter u git de job r not................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Do you get this type of job applications often? Is it more common in cover letters or CVs?

Spread over both to be fair. Considering that these are usually multiple copies being sent out to numerous companies you'd think that people would take some bit of care with them.
    Every time that we do advertise, (Rarely nowadays), there would be a decent handful of them with a significant amount of errors.

What are the most common mistakes that you've received in job applications? (In terms of spelling and/or grammar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes they do unfortunately. If your CV and Cover Letter alone has poor grammar, poor presentation, poor formatting and layout not just spelling errors your CV and Cover Letter will be thrown to the side or in the bin unless its for a job that HR might over look that sort of thing and see what qualifications and experience you have.

Neat presentation, clear and concise wording, formatting and layout will improve your chances that your CV and Cover Letter be read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

doovdela wrote: »
    Yes they do unfortunately. If your CV and Cover Letter alone has poor grammar, poor presentation, poor formatting and layout not just spelling errors your CV and Cover Letter will be thrown to the side or in the bin unless its for a job that HR might over look that sort of thing and see what qualifications and experience you have.

Neat presentation, clear and concise wording, formatting and layout will improve your chances that your CV and Cover Letter be read.

Dat's dead rite, de layoot nd speling hav 2 b presise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

... If somebody is too lazy to use spell check then he's too lazy to work for me!!

Ah, but maybe they did run the spell check on it...
    (You'll get no wiggly red underlines if you paste this into MS Word.)

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
    by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
    It came with my PC.
    It plane lee marks four my revue
    Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
    Your sure reel glad two no.
    Its vary polished in it's weigh.
    My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
    It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
    It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
    And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
    Eye trussed too bee a joule.
    The checker pours o'er every word
    To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
    Hour spelling mite decline,
    And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
    We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
    Is checked with such grate flare,
    Their are know fault's with in my cite,
    Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
    It does knot bring a tier.
    My pay purrs awl due glad den
    With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
    Of witch won should bee proud,
    And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
    Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
    Such soft wear four pea seas,
    And why eye brake in two averse
    Buy righting want too pleas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

SNORBEAST wrote: »
    doovdela wrote: »

Dat's dead rite, de layoot nd speling hav 2 b presise

That's your second attempt at being funny in this thread. Didn't work first time and didn't work the second. Nobody likes a "thanks whore".

Back to the original question... yes, if an applicant can't be bothered to make sure that their spelling, grammar, layout, etc... on their CC/Cover letter isn't up to standard, how do they expect to get an interview. If it were me going over the applications, they'd be chucked straight into the bin.

Most common errors...

there/they're/their
    it's/its
    thought/taught
    seen/saw... done/did..... etc....
    misspelling definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You missed out 'than/then'.

tac

So what kind of layout and formatting puts you off an applicant?

Advertisement