Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on how to boast chances?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some opinions.

Basically, I advertised for a position last Monday week which mentioned "view to an early partnership" (in a our professional periodicial). Emailed my details, they emailed back that evening. Asked me to ring and arrange a meeting.

Backgroud: Office comprises of a Principal, a junior equity partner and 5 support staff, well established since the 1960s.

Went there last Monday (outside business hours) and spent 90 mins chatting to the principal. Very informal, he gave me the background, he is in his early 70s wants to retire in the next 4-5 years. He brought in a junior equity partner 2-3 years ago with a view to taking over but he recently handed in his notice and is moving to the other side of the country where is wife is from. This has really thrown him.

He is unsure whether to bring someone else in or merge with another firm.

Was a really good chat, he showed me around, chatted about salary, the workload etc. It would be a slight drop in salary (which does not bother me) but with an initial 10% equity and a future!

The practice is solvent, owns its own premises, no overdraft or loans and a well established client base. He said that he threw away most of the cvs he got and has interviewed 1 other candidate who did not fit the bill. I realise I can only take his word. He also did some research on my current employers before I arrived.

He will make his decision by the end of June whether to take someone on or merge (which he is not that interested in)

I already emailed him on Tuesday thanking him etc and how impressed I was and how the position is of great interest to me. It genuinely is.

What can I do in the meantime to boast my chances? I am 34 this year and this is a fantastic opportunity for me and I really want it!!!

Obviously I do not want to come across like a stalker or lunatic?

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bring him some new business. You want to be an equity partner, that's what they do.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You also need a vesting agreement i.e in 1 years time you get 10%, 2 year 20% etc

also need to discuss what happens to your vested % if you leave.

what happens if he dies before you take over ? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sorry I think I may have been unclear. I don't actually have the job or it was not offered to me.

I really want the job and I was looking for tips on helping my chances. I did the 'Thank you' email the next day.

How can I impress them further without looking desparate (which I am not as I have a perfectly good job)?

He did say on leaving: "We should stay in touch."

Cheers

Advertisement