Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Darcy promoting litigious culture

• 01-06-2012 10:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ray-darcy-to-sue-for-charity-after-jogging-accident-leaves-him-needing-surgery-3125223.html
    TODAY FM star Ray D'Arcy has revealed he is set to take legal action over a fall which has left him needing surgery to repair his broken nose.

The popular presenter said he has reluctantly decided to sue over his injured face -- but plans to donate any compensation to charity.

The radio jock took a tumble landing face-first on the pavement while jogging into work last week but bravely carried on and presented his breakfast show on Today FM.

He told how he took the nasty fall in the Clonskeagh area of Dublin during his morning run after tripping on the protruding stub of a signpost. He hasn't said who he plans to sue -- but he said it will be the people responsible for the sign.

I had grown a strong hatred for the man anyway, pity as I used really admire his work in my youth.
    He is dead to me now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"reluctantly decided to sue"... my fkn arse!

Such a scummy thing to do. It's his own bloody mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

He was fine until he started playing happy families with his co-presenter, that weirded me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hmm he sure is taking his time leaving the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ah he broke his nose, somebody has to pay to fix that, why wouldn't it be the people who caused it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

What a bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Perhaps Im wrong but wasnt the pipe for a sign cropped with an angle grinder or such with a few inches of it left sticking up in the middle of a foot path?
    This is grossly stupid, dangerous and incompetant. Those responsible deserve to be sued and any individual is well within their rights not to be out of pocket in a circumstance such as this regardless of their level of celebrity.
    I dont like compo culture but this is obviously a legit circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I grew up with him hosting The Den, therefore find it hard to be mad at him.
    Bad form though Mr.D'Arcy, bad form.

Ah he broke his nose, somebody has to pay to fix that, why wouldn't it be the people who caused it? :confused:

Like the VHI... Not the council.

If he can't run properly or watch where he's going then it's his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

smash wrote: »
    "reluctantly decided to sue"... my fkn arse!

Such a scummy thing to do. It's his own bloody mistake.

Not always. I worked in the Insurance claims section of a County Council and there were genuine claims made by genuine people.

If Ray was any sort of a decent character he'd ask that his medical bills (if any) are paid and that the location of his accident was made safe.

From experience, I found that the only people who benefit from Insurance claims are the ambulance chasing solicitors.

It's a shame about Ray.

Fair play to him for donating the money to charity, he could easily put it in his own pocket.

The people who were the cause of this need to be held accountable for their shoddy work. It could have been an old person or a child. And the outcome could have been so much worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Proper order, that'll teach them them fookin' council bellends and their signs. Either do it right or expose yourself to legal repercussions imo. Can't stand signs, everywhere they are :mad:

Like the VHI... Not the council.

If he can't run properly or watch where he's going then it's his fault.

Why should he make a claim on his own health insurance when it was the fault of the council?

He was running, do you run or walk with your head down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

How do you know the sign wasn't stolen? pic in the indo looks like it was twisted and snapped. Surely council workers wouldn't leave it like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He admitted the day it happened that he knew it was there from going by previously, it's not as if it was a surprise to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

4/10

I dont get the negativity toward Rays action. Leaving a sharp steel protrusion in the middle of a public walk way is ****king stupid and pretty much guaranteed to cause an accident. Its is the easiest thing in the world to crop a piece of pipe flush with the ground. This is a clear case of negligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If he was suing to line his own pocket i'd have an issue

If he ran into a pole that is easy to see i'd have an issue

If he took a week of work and tried to claim for lost wages i'd have an issue

If he tried adding mental anguish i'd have an issue.

But no he tripped on a bit of a metal sign that is left sticking out of the road on a public footpath and broke his nose, came into work and carried on and it was a listener who suggested he should sue and donate to charity. His co presenter Will has history in legal issues and said that he had the right to do it and the money will be going to charity.

I see no issues with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why should he make a claim on his own health insurance when it was the fault of the council?

Let me see, well my parents always told me to look where im going. It was also smashed into my nut in school LOOK WHERE YOUR GOING.

To be fair its a basic human instinct to look for on coming danger.

One of my fears for the current crop of humans is that we are severely removing the onus on personal behaviour or the ability for one to look after ones basic instincts. Its a crying shame that its always someone else's fault.

How did we ever survive before insurance...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im starting, to get worried, about Ray

Well why should I have to pay for a new wheel when I hit a pothole?

When you're out jogging, you'll take notice of a fkn sign that's in your way. Especially one that you know is there from passing it daily. If he felt it was going to cause an accident, why didn't he report it previously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Avallise

Should ask his mam to kiss it better ...

When you're out jogging, you'll take notice of a fkn sign that's in your way.

Potholes occur with wear and tear. This was created by shoddy workmanship.
    Signs are generally large and over head height, this was sicking out of the ground a few inches and no longer a sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

He knew it was there and didn't bring it to anyone's attention.

When you're out jogging, you'll take notice of a fkn sign that's in your way.

But there was no sign! It was the stub of a pole. If you look at the second picture on the article you will see that.

I really, really hate the compo culture. I don't mind suing to pay for hospital bills and lost wages, but considering Ray is planning on giving the proceeds to charity I say go right ahead. The council, or whoever is at fault, might think twice next time about how they leave jobs

How do you know it was their fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can see this from both points of view however in this instance, when he admits he knew it was there(Not sure if this info is correct, just basing it on previous posts here), I believe him to be as culpable as those that are responsible for it.
    One key issue when it comes to health and safety is that every person has a responsibility towards it. If he knew it was there, and could have caused and issue, why didn't he report it to the authority responsible for it?
    I have no idea exactly where this stub is, where on the footpath it is located or how it got there, but it is rather unfair to expect local authorities to be held liable for removed said obstruction when they may not have known about it in the first place - are they expected to monitor every single of paving in the city on their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I really don't get the anger over this, he said any compensation is going to charity.

Unless I've missed out on something, charity is still a good thing, yes? :confused:

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I really don't get the anger over this, he said any compensation is going to charity.

Unless I've missed out on something, charity is still a good thing, yes? :confused:
    Where do you think the compensation money will come from?

Potholes occur with wear and tear. This was created by shoddy workmanship.
    No it wasn't. It looks like a car hit it and snapped the sign off.
    Signs are generally large and over head height, this was sicking out of the ground a few inches and no longer a sign.
    He knew it was there!

Fair play Ray, take some money off the council. Sure they'll make it back up with the household charge right?!?! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nice to see my crippling commercial rates are going to a good cause:mad:

He knew it was there!

Fair play Ray, take some money off the council. Sure they'll make it back up with the household charge right?!?! :rolleyes:

You say 'he knew it was there' meaning a sign. It wasnt a sign.

Lumbo wrote: »
    How do you know it was their fault?

I don't know, I was responding to a post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Have to agree. That pole has not been cut.

Nice to see my crippling commercial rates are going to a good cause:mad:

Exactly, the introduction of the Personal Injuries Assesment Board helped to reduce costs but there's still a big compo claims attitude out there.

Most people don't realise that it's the tax payer who foots the bill.

kippy wrote: »
    Where do you think the compensation money will come from?

So if you're walking along and you get injured as a result of a government company and its negligence, you won't look for compensation and my taxes paid will be safe?

Excellent!

• Advertisement

You say 'he knew it was there' meaning a sign. It wasnt a sign.
    He knew the stub was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Then he should sue his own foot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Depends on how hot the chuggers are and the chances of getting the ride off one of'em.

So if you're walking along and you get injured as a result of a government company and its negligence

that's an unquantified statement to say the least. How were they negligent in this case?

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Then he should sue his own foot.

Or the makers of his running shoes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

He's a bit of a prat to be honest, but fair play for giving it to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a wonderful thing. You won't mind me stealing your wallet and giving it to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Charity is such a vague word nowadays, half the money you donate to most "charities" is paying the wages of chuggers, and the 6-figure salaries of senior management

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Of course we have to just take his word that it was that actual piece of pole he tripped over.
    http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/dynamic/01059/signpost_1059121t.jpg
    There's many who fall tripping themselves & would then go looking for a reason to claim as they have a convincing injury to show of.
    Makes me think of the sons carrying their mother into the McDonald's toilets after she fell down the stairs at home.

Charity is such a vague word nowadays, half the money you donate to most "charities" is paying the wages of chuggers, and the 6-figure salaries of senior management

I agree, but it is still better than saying he is pocketing it himself.

that's an unquantified statement to say the least. How were they negligent in this case?

Well I think leaving the stub of a signpost sticking out of the ground is fairly shoddy and could well lead to potential accidents.

I'm a little more than just sceptical about that photo. The stub is close to a wall and was clearly not cut but the council. It looks like the result of a traffic accident and looks to have been there a while. I'd say if you zoomed out there'd be some damage to the wall. Probably something the council weren't even aware of, yet he was and he didn't report it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Where is this stub? I need a new car and a holiday in the sun. This could be just the ticket!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Maybe he did know it was there but I dont now anyone that would risk serious injury, surgery and maybe brain damage in order to sue the council. I hardly think he needs the money.

It is the councils responsibility to maintain the paths, roads signage etc. If the sign was taken out by a car then fair enough. IM sure the council were aware of that however they did not make the nesecary arrangements to make the path safe again as can be seen in the second pic.

And Ray if youre reading this.................Im a charity!!

So if you're walking along and you get injured as a result of a government company and its negligence, you won't look for compensation and my taxes paid will be safe?

Excellent!

If I am walking along, I don't generally get injured as I tend to look where I am going.
    Look, as stated here already if there was genuine negligence on the part of whomever is responsible for this sign and it can be proven that tripping over this stub was caused by the stub being in a location where it could be tripped over for an unreasonable amount of time and the trip was not caused by lack of due care and attention then sure, compensate the guy.
    However a few things would have to be considered, in that, he knew there was an obstacle in the road, never reported it, and still managed to trip over it.
    I dont think it is fair to:
    1. Expect the local authority to be responsible for every injury that occurs on public walkways unless genuine negligence has occured.
    2. Take it as a given that this was the reason the person had a fall, without knowing the main factors in the fall.

I had a post in a thread about public liability and the abuse of it that is causing untold damage to local groups all over the place and it is a topic I feel strongly on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement