Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping Internal Hard Drive From Laptop To Laptop ??

Options
  • 01-06-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

hi ,

I wondered if anyone could help me out .

I have an old laptop , with a 140GB Hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate , the screen and hinges are broken .

I've managed to get the same model laptop cheap 2nd hand , with a 160GB hard drive with Vista .

Forgove my ignorance , but is it possible to simple put the old , windows 7, hardrive into the new laptop ? As I prefer using winows 7 . Or is this gonna be a pain to do ?

I don't have the original disks etc. for either OS .

Many thanks for any help ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

What model laptop are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

emachines d620 14" screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

mikemike wrote: »
    hi ,

I wondered if anyone could help me out .

I have an old laptop , with a 140GB Hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate , the screen and hinges are broken .

I've managed to get the same model laptop cheap 2nd hand , with a 160GB hard drive with Vista .

Forgove my ignorance , but is it possible to simple put the old , windows 7, hardrive into the new laptop ? As I prefer using winows 7 . Or is this gonna be a pain to do ?

I don't have the original disks etc. for either OS .

Many thanks for any help ..

I did that but it was between 4 laptops. 1st broke, second broke, third is OK but i got a better one. You can swap between two but i think you have to deactivate 1 before you can use the other. I can't activate it on this laptop (tried 2 CD keys) anymore. But the first
    couple of times it worked between two.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Not familiar with that brand but it might be similar to other laptops. Just unscrew the screws holding in the HDD underneath and replace the drive by sliding it out.

This might help: http://www.ehow.com/how_6231875_install-hard-drive-emachines-laptop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

It shouldnt be a problem, since everything is stored on the HDD anyway. All the windows/cd keys etc are on there. Moving it to another laptop is really just changing shell, especially if they are both the same.

You wont need CD keys etc as you arent doing a re install
    Sholden wrote: »
    I did that but it was between 4 laptops. 1st broke, second broke, third is OK but i got a better one. You can swap between two but i think you have to deactivate 1 before you can use the other. I can't activate it on this laptop (tried 2 CD keys) anymore. But the first

couple of times it worked between two.

He is moving the HDD (and windows which is on it) from one laptop to the other, there is no need to de activate anything. Sounds like you tried to re install onto the new HDD rather than just changing the HDD

• Advertisement

NiallFH wrote: »
    He is moving the HDD (and windows which is on it) from one laptop to the other, there is no need to de activate anything. Sounds like you tried to re install onto the new HDD rather than just changing the HDD

No I just moved the HDD. You have to register it with the new hardware. Shouldn't be a problem though as i have done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Sholden wrote: »
    No I just moved the HDD. You have to register it with the new hardware. Shouldn't be a problem though as i have done it before.

Hmm strange I have never seen that before, I have quite a few in work and I change them a lot never been an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

It's entirely possible even if it's not the same laptop..I replaced my 3.5" desktop HDD with a 2.5" HDD from my old laptop and it ran fine off the bat.. But I would suggest reinstalling the drIvers after transferring the HDD as it may revert to windows 7 generic drivers when it detects new hardware..This happened to me but it's easily fixed

thanks for that , I'll give it a try and see what happens .

How exactly do I reinstall the drivers if I have to ?

thanks for that , I'll give it a try and see what happens .

How exactly do I reinstall the drivers if I have to ?

Go to start, right click computer and manage. Go to device manager and right click in yourname-pc (top one). Click scan for hardware changes. If that doesn't work just go through all of the parts in device manager and right click and then update driver software.

• Advertisement

thanks for that , I'll try it ... how the hell do you remember all that ? I'm envious .

thanks for that , I'll try it ... how the hell do you remember all that ? I'm envious .

Mistakes have been made.... And I've swapped HDD's from laptops lots of times :D

Advertisement