Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fruits going off very fast

Options
  • 01-06-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have you noticed how in the last few days, the fruits have gone off much quicker than usual? My husband says that it's because they have been frozen, I blame the weather.
    I had to bin 3 apples, 4 clementines and a melon. The melon had just been cut, I ate a slice, put the rest in the fridge in a container. The next day it was gone, with a fermented smell and taste. The apples went soft but didn't rot, they just had this mushy flesh that was very unpleasant. Clementines started to spoil within 24h of buying. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Hi

Have you noticed how in the last few days, the fruits have gone off much quicker than usual? My husband says that it's because they have been frozen, I blame the weather.
    I had to bin 3 apples, 4 clementines and a melon. The melon had just been cut, I ate a slice, put the rest in the fridge in a container. The next day it was gone, with a fermented smell and taste. The apples went soft but didn't rot, they just had this mushy flesh that was very unpleasant. Clementines started to spoil within 24h of buying. :(

Why do you freeze your fruit?

Its weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Why do you freeze your fruit?

Its weather.

sorry, should have been clearer. I don't freeze my fruits, but some shops do to keep them fresh for longer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nanazolie wrote: »
    sorry, should have been clearer. I don't freeze my fruits, but some shops do to keep them fresh for longer

They just chill them. Bananas for example are temperature critical and anything below 13deg risks "chilling injury" during transport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I haven't experienced a problem anywhere near as bad as this. Sounds like a quality issue, where are you buying your fruit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Dunnes fruit is espically bad for going off fast.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They just chill them. Bananas for example are temperature critical and anything below 13deg risks "chilling injury" during transport.

I always find that Irish people for some strange reason mix up fridges with freezers even do they mean fridges.

A dullish gray colour of banana skin is a sign that the fruit had experienced chill damage. A lot easier to see in ripened fruit. Core temp below 10 degrees will cause chill damage in transportation. When they ripen fruit they pump in cooler air to draw out the heat explosion from the ripening process and often the core temp drops to 13oC without causing chill damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Not sure if you had any bananas nearby, but they give off a gas (ethylene) that ripens other fruit. Which is handy if you have avocados, maybe not so much if you want to keep your apples fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I haven't experienced a problem anywhere near as bad as this. Sounds like a quality issue, where are you buying your fruit?

Dunnes, Tesco and the local fruit and veg shop. It hasn't happened as much lately, which really makes me think it was the weather. It was a bit oppressive in the last few days of the heat wave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

olaola wrote: »
    Not sure if you had any bananas nearby, but they give off a gas (ethylene) that ripens other fruit. Which is handy if you have avocados, maybe not so much if you want to keep your apples fresh

Does this mean I shouldn't store my bananas in the bowl with the rest of my fruit? I keep most fruit in a fruit bowl on the counter. Berries in the fridge. Its usually fine for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Does this mean I shouldn't store my bananas in the bowl with the rest of my fruit? I keep most fruit in a fruit bowl on the counter. Berries in the fridge. Its usually fine for a week or so.

bananas do seem to cause apples especially to go off quicker. I do keep banana s separete for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Yes, bananas should be kept away from your other fruit. I've done this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is why they have banana hangers. They hold the bananas up to allow air circulate and stop them ripening too quickly. Some say its to stop them bruising, but its sort of the same thing, the 'bruise' is usually a spot where gases concentrated and over-ripened in a local area, which might lead you to think it got mashed by other fruit. Of course once over-ripe it is easily bruised by other fruit being thrown on top.

rubadub wrote: »
    This is why they have banana hangers. They hold the bananas up to allow air circulate and stop them ripening too quickly. Some say its to stop them bruising, but its sort of the same thing, the 'bruise' is usually a spot where gases concentrated and over-ripened in a local area, which might lead you to think it got mashed by other fruit. Of course once over-ripe it is easily bruised by other fruit being thrown on top.

That's a new one on me. Bananas are just susceptable to bruising when the ripening process starts, just run a biro gently over the back of a banana and within an hour you can see the bruising caused. In store handling causes most bruising. If you open a box of ripened bananas out of a ripening room the two main areas of bruising are the neck of the hand of bananas and the tip of bananas pods and thats due to poor handling and packing and not trapped gases. You do get whats called "ripe and turn" were one or two hands are diseased or damaged so it naturally starts the ripening process in transportation from the tropics. The sickly sweet smell from the case when you open it tells you that the case is over ripe as does the sugar spotting and blackened fruit.

Bananas can also affect the quality of cut flowers like Lillies so should not be displayed near them.

Advertisement