Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging up the guitar...

Options
  • 01-06-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

I've been playing guitar on and off for over 15 years. During these years I have at times played for weeks on end, other times it would just gathered dust for other weeks on end. It was only in the last 3 years that I got serious and began to learn a bit of theory, jam with other folks and gave it an honest attempt at composing.
    I think I've reached a point where I just recognize that there are some folks who maybe have an innate ability or orientation to certain instruments or music itself. I only ever played for myself, to play something that gave that feeling when I hear other music I like but with the guitar, electric, accoustic, it has reached a certain plateau where I've said I cant quite access something musically "inspiring", something that goes beyond learning scales and genres.
    Im wondering has this ever happened anyone else? Im sure it has but what kind of analysis or understanding or even reaction did you give to it. Hard work is always endorsed and yes it is a big part but there is a something else, be it talent or whatever, that goes beyond the rational side to playing.

Your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im in my 40s and Ive been playing music since i was 11 and ive been through the whole giving up playing saga many time, until sometime around my mid 20s I realised, **** it.

I like playing music and i like writing music so ive been doing that ever since - ive played in some fantastic places over the years and formed and played with some exceptional bands and musicians plus even had some minor irish chart success. The enjoyment is the important thing - nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think I've ever been at the hanging up the guitar stage. If I feel stagnation setting in I tend to just switch instruments. I've got 4, 5 and 6 string basses and 6, 7 and 8 string guitars. Combine those six potential configurations with some different tunings and you can surely find something interesting to jam :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I'll soon be buying a mac and eventually getting pro tools etc. I think theres a lot more scope with the softwares and I'm very big into experimental, ambient, dance and a lot of music that requires software.
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. I can create compositions with the guitar and pedals, then use the loop player. Its kind of awkward but I'm actually pretty proud of the stuff I've made. But still, can anyone here recreate that "Oh my god, WTF just happened there?!?" moment for themselves, in their own compositions? This to me is the crux of it. I'm playing essentially to come around that point where I have found that place where many of those who I admire have to in there own music. I know guitarists who can play slash and vai in there sleep but are very standard in there ability to create something exceptional, in the very true sense of the word.
    So I'm kinda curious as to what attitude/approach do people have when sitting down to their instrument. What is it you want to achieve? Folks I know are happy enough in just writing something catchy, by the book songs. Some others have a particular band style in mind when they are composing which can be quite self defeating for the most part. This is what fascinates me with music. So often with amazing songs there is a simplicity but something extraordinary. Despite having different tastes, this rule seems to be pretty consistent - simplicity.
    Anyway, just a bit of a ramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

When I write or compose, I don't try to go for a certain sound. I literally just start playing around with the guitar and the looper pedal until I get something I think is cool and I build the song from there. One day it could have a heavy rock influence, another time it might be obscure and indie.

I like the switching instruments idea for keeping yourself interested. I only have the acoustic/electric guitars and the ukulele at the moment, but I'd like to branch out and get something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

guitarzero wrote: »
    I'll soon be buying a mac and eventually getting pro tools etc. I think theres a lot more scope with the softwares and I'm very big into experimental, ambient, dance and a lot of music that requires software.
    I think it depends what you are trying to achieve. I can create compositions with the guitar and pedals, then use the loop player. Its kind of awkward but I'm actually pretty proud of the stuff I've made. But still, can anyone here recreate that "Oh my god, WTF just happened there?!?" moment for themselves, in their own compositions? This to me is the crux of it. I'm playing essentially to come around that point where I have found that place where many of those who I admire have to in there own music. I know guitarists who can play slash and vai in there sleep but are very standard in there ability to create something exceptional, in the very true sense of the word.
    So I'm kinda curious as to what attitude/approach do people have when sitting down to their instrument. What is it you want to achieve? Folks I know are happy enough in just writing something catchy, by the book songs. Some others have a particular band style in mind when they are composing which can be quite self defeating for the most part. This is what fascinates me with music. So often with amazing songs there is a simplicity but something extraordinary. Despite having different tastes, this rule seems to be pretty consistent - simplicity.
    Anyway, just a bit of a ramble.

With my own compositions I don't think I ever think, "holy hell, that is amazing." Not simply out of modesty, but it's just really hard to listen objectively to my own music. Objective in the loosest sense of the word. I'm too invested in my own work to be objective.

Bottom line is, I love playing music. I still haven't found my own genre, place, sound. But I'm just going to keep hammering away until I find it, if I ever do.

I was once told that one of my tunes was really good, by friends and peers. That was a great moment, as I can only get that true objective account of my music through other people. [/shameless boasting]

My approach. Just keep writing, composing, playing and creating. Even if you don't think it's good, just power through it and then move on to something else. Try to finish everything you start. Even if it's looking a bit of a dead end.

If you find something you enjoy better on the digital end then by all means concentrate your energies into that.

But realise that you will probably never be totally happy with your own work. It just seems to be part of the artistic process. For me anyway. I don't know if others feel the same about their own work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I can't imagine hanging up on music.

I'm a decent rhythm guitarist and bassist, but I also tinker around on mandolin, bouzouki, banjo, tenor guitar, and if my sons cello is out I can't walk past it.... likewise a piano... or a penny whistle, flute, clarinet, harmonica, jews harp, drum kit, tambourine .... (all of which are around the house) you get the idea?

I'll always come back to the guitar, but the other instruments inspire me and playing them improves my guitar playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm a decent rhythm guitarist and bassist, but I also tinker around on mandolin, bouzouki, banjo, tenor guitar, and if my sons cello is out I can't walk past it.... likewise a piano... or a penny whistle, flute, clarinet, harmonica, jews harp, drum kit, tambourine .... (all of which are around the house) you get the idea?

Hi Prince.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

guitarzero wrote: »
    I've been playing guitar on and off for over 15 years. During these years I have at times played for weeks on end, other times it would just gathered dust for other weeks on end. It was only in the last 3 years that I got serious and began to learn a bit of theory, jam with other folks and gave it an honest attempt at composing.
    I think I've reached a point where I just recognize that there are some folks who maybe have an innate ability or orientation to certain instruments or music itself. I only ever played for myself, to play something that gave that feeling when I hear other music I like but with the guitar, electric, accoustic, it has reached a certain plateau where I've said I cant quite access something musically "inspiring", something that goes beyond learning scales and genres.
    Im wondering has this ever happened anyone else? Im sure it has but what kind of analysis or understanding or even reaction did you give to it. Hard work is always endorsed and yes it is a big part but there is a something else, be it talent or whatever, that goes beyond the rational side to playing.

Your views?

i think we all get like that

im 31 and self taught on guitar since i was 10 , i love lead guitar , slash type solos or gary moore etc , while i can play lead guitar , when it comes to the really fast parts i cant do that . like you i assume after 21 years playing i would be a master and it sickens me that i can't , i probably need more practice , but ive a kid now and more important things in my life that i can't dedicate 3 hours a day to learn more .

on the other hand i taught a guy the basics about 7 or 8 years ago ( neighbour ) and now he's like joe bonamassa , the guy just sizzles out effortless lead solo's which make me think ( you little pox bottle :) )

so i know where you are comming from , i went off the guitar for a few years and recently ( 2 years ago ) started a acoustic coverband which has evolved into a wedding band and earning a few quid doing something i love , while i will never be gary moore , i can be happy that im doing what i love

don't give up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Flintrock

I think that it's very subjective.If you play an instrument to be a manual gymnast/contortionist,thats your choice.If you want to be a rhythm/lead player thats also your decision.You get the picture... Personally,I avoid covers all the time.I look at the progressions and how they can relate to each other to get that 'sound' and enjoy playing along the desired lines where you come to a conclusion and whether you're Joe Bonamassa or Joni Mitchell you'll have your own little thumbprint on the guitar world.Basically what I'm saying by 'measuring yourself up' against others you'll always be technically disappointed because there'll always be a Goliath.If,on the other hand you explore differing methods/styles/techniques while arriving at a piece thats all yours,thats priceless & done with your own style for the 'Goliaths' to try copy ! :) Just my own way to keep stretching to the end of the guitar rainbow...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Its only over when you get it into your head that its over. Its normal to hit walls where you despair at your lack of progress and its normal to write something and hate it a week later or feel that its worse than something you wrote in the past. Its normal to feel like 90% of the time you are going backwards instead of forwards. Its normal to play like crap if you haven't played in weeks. Its much better for you to play like 30 minutes a day every day and enjoy the day than it is to play 7 hours straight every 2 weeks and run your s**t into the ground.

Mental blocks are normal. Writer's block is normal. Long periods where you feel stuck is normal (and not to be confused with writer's block).

This is all part of a much longer process of self improvement and alot of it is difficult. If you are really good you might have created or had a hand in creating a few dozen songs that you happy with and that you are confident others will be happy with.

A huge part of this process actually has nothing to do with music but with how you feel about your life generally. I don't think anyone can write good music unless they feel confident about what they are doing. You have to love your own work before you can expect others to love it too.

I can't tell you what to do or how to fix things in your own head so you can make music you are happy with. But I can tell you that all the things you worry about are the same things that every musician I have ever known worries about and that I myself have personally experienced and continue to experience. You will never stop learning. There will never be a point when you are "good enough" because the finish line keeps moving.

Nobody ever created something from nothing. Nobody ever achieved greatness without standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before them. Nobody was born talented. Hell shortly after you got squeezed out you couldn't even drop a turd in a potty, so I place absolutely no weight in the idea that some people are just born gifted. You can develop an affinity to something at any time if the right combination of motivators and social conditions are present to encourage you to grow.

Take this as positive encouragement. The fact that you finally recognize something has gone wrong is like a big flashing sign that something has changed in your attitude and perspective on writing/performing music. Instead of giving up you should try to do things a bit differently, based on what you know you have done wrong. After a possibly brief resurgence, you WILL slump again for ages and probably have another (deep) crisis of confidence. Sorry to say but thats just the way it is.

Proper training helps you to have absolute confidence in your own mind so you can leave everything behind, make music and be happy with it. If you can afford it, you should give it a go. But this is all part of the natural cycle of overcoming adversity. It sucks. Should you persist anyway? Absolutely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement