Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drives

Options
  • 01-06-2012 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

I've been searching on google but to with little sucess.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some optimisations for HD speed? I think turning off indexing and defrag helps but not 100% sure how. Also are there any registry settings I can play with?

I also have a Seagate on the way out with SMART errors - is there anyway to reset or ignore them? I'm going to put it on a RAID 1 so dont care if it fails - its just I've been using it in windows and it is doing some funky things with tranfer rates. I've tried disabling SMART on the the Mobo but it still seems to 'know'

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Indexing will only slow hard drives down a little at the start while it's building the indexes, or when you add new files, I suppose. Then it will be much faster for searching files. Depends on how much you search.

Turning off defragmentation will slow your hard drive down. Leave it on. I assume this isn't an SSD you're talking about.
    Well it might slow it down a little in the short term leaving it on but it's going to get a lot slower in the long term with it off.

I think maybe you should leave your settings alone, if you're not sure what exactly they're doing.

One way to get a bit more out of your hard drive is to partition it carefully. Suppose you had a 1TB drive. You could use the first 300GB for programs or games. Then use the rest for music/videos. The beginning of the hard drive is faster than the end. This will give you the best read/write speeds for the games and programs while the music or videos which don't need the same speeds can go on the slower part.

PS, You can always post in the off topic or hardware discussion threads.

Advertisement