Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So that's it then?

• 01-06-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, just come home, having a cup of tea, I am now retired. Well I have to go back for a couple of days in August to finish out the year, but that's just a technicality.

After a life time of home making and random (fairly unprofitable) arts and crafts stuff, and a bit of part time work doing graphic design, I went back to college, turned 50 while I was there, got my qualification and did some free-lance graphic design. I then purely by chance got a job teaching art/design/computer stuff in Further Education and have been there for 8 very satisfactory years. I am very grateful to have had the chance of a 'career' even if only for these last few years, I loved teaching - and FE is a very satisfactory area to teach in.

So what now? A group that I started last year is going great, I hope to join the local active retirement, I have grandchildren to take an interest in, and unfortunately a spouse who is not well and who will need caring.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this, its a life changing time, but I hope it is a start of new things, rather than an end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Good for you looksee! You have an abundance of energy and congrats on a (very) active retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks Spread, I wonder how many other retirees there are in here, and did things go as expected for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Looksee, I can't really comment as I never really 'retired'. All the best for your retirement. My friends who do arts/crafts don't make money from it either (like me :() but they do teach different arty/crafty classes. Maybe you could teach for a couple of hours from home, and if it goes well expand out into the local community hall or adult education classes from September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Jellybaby, yes arts and crafts is a great area to share skills in, I don't expect to make any money but I would be happy to teach, practise and learn in different areas. One of the problems of teaching crafts is that you don't really have the time or energy to do any yourself, so I hope that is going to be something I will do.

Thanks for your good wishes!

Just remembered this thread which is a very serious one about retirement planning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197445

I suppose most of us already set up the retirement plan years ago. I realised recently that when we (hopefully) get our pay-offs, I don't get very much but himself will be worth a lot more. Can't think why I agreed to that all those years ago. But that's when I was barefoot and pregnant at the kitchen sink! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

We retired in January 2011 and almost right away headed off to do some Church-related voluntary work in Lancashire. It lasted till the end of this April and we had a great time. We're now back to catch up with family and friends (and the decorating and the garden) but as we're both in reasonable health, we may head off again later this year or early in 2013.
    It's either that or watching COUNTDOWN every afternoon.

Health being the most important thing of course. I know some folk who as soon as they retired, the health just seemed to go, which is a pity as they waited so long for the freedom and then couldn't really enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

They keep raising the retirement age here. I am not sure how old I will be when I retire. A win on the lottery would bring it closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Health being the most important thing of course. I know some folk who as soon as they retired, the health just seemed to go, which is a pity as they waited so long for the freedom and then couldn't really enjoy it.

I realised recently that there was no reason why I should wait till I retire to do some of the things that I've been wanting to do for ages, especially as the youngster is old enough now. So I took up a new activity - actually two - and am enjoying them mightily. :D

Rube: I know your pain....I won't be financially able to retire when they throw me out. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

So I took up a new activity - actually two - and am enjoying them mightily. :D
    Shall we guess them?
    1: Brass Rubbing.
    2: Emperior of the known world through the power of interperitave dance.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Cheese rolling and morris dancing (at the same time!)

Advertisement