Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

weird skype, imac running slow issue

• 01-06-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

It started on the 29th of May,

I got a call over skype from some foreigner in an Asian country, I answered the phone and they hung up, they then sent a message through skype messaging, saying "hello, have you rememderme"

then soon after, the imac slowed down, all programs took an age to load, so i installed a different virus scanner to see if a virus had been loaded, nothing detected... the imac is still running very very slow..

any ideas?

they didn't send any attachments

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CamperMan wrote: »
    It started on the 29th of May,

I got a call over skype from some foreigner in an Asian country, I answered the phone and they hung up, they then sent a message through skype messaging, saying "hello, have you rememderme"

then soon after, the imac slowed down, all programs took an age to load, so i installed a different virus scanner to see if a virus had been loaded, nothing detected... the imac is still running very very slow..

any ideas?

they didn't send any attachments
    Its a scam, untick the option in skype to allow calls from people outside of contacts. The slow down is unrelated, I'll move this over to mac forum for you

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

yoyo wrote: »
    Its a scam, untick the option in skype to allow calls from people outside of contacts. The slow down is unrelated, I'll move this over to mac forum for you

Nick

if I uncheck this option, will people still be able to call me on the skype number I have?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

After a restart and unchecking box 'reopen windows' (if you're on Lion) does it still seem slow?
    Try clearing your log in items in System pref>users and groups/accounts>login items

Could also try cleaning your launch agents/daemons but you show be familiar with these before going in there blindly.

Otherwise you could open console and have a look at your system log to see if there is a message coming up frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

CamperMan wrote: »
    if I uncheck this option, will people still be able to call me on the skype number I have?

Thanks

Only People in your contacts will be able to call you with this option on.
    Are you on latest sky version 5 or the older one? Lots of people went back to version 2.8 I think at http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/2-8

lot's of these in Console

01.06.12 13:23:25 com.apple.quicklook[278] failed to find CMap `Identity-H'.

01.06.12 13:21:24 com.eltima.ElmediaPlayer.daemon[57] kextload serialization lock busy; sleeping (71 retries left)

01.06.12 13:51:39 com.apple.launchd[210] (0x10cc00.Google Chrome He[645]) Policy denied Mach service lookup: com.apple.windowserver.session

If I click to open a folder for example, there is a delay of 4 to 5 seconds before the folder opens, the same with clicking on an application, or if I am am browsing the web, there will be this delay before a page loads..

• Advertisement

Update.

I checked the CPU usage and Avast ant-virus was using over 90%, so I uninstalled Avast and the system appears to be OK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

As there are no OSX viruses, a virus checker will only slow down your Mac unnecessarily.

If you are concerned about malware (not "viruses") then upgrade your MacOS to at least 10.6.8 and the Mac software will provide all the protection you need against known malware (although some may be able to override it with their own stupidity).

If you are worried about passing Windows viruses to Windows users - don't. OSX can't do this automatically so it will only happen if you do it manually (and you won't forward any attachments, will you?). Let Windows users worry about Windows viruses. That's why you bought a Mac, yes?

Advertisement