Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laogharie Parking Fines

Options
  • 01-06-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

So I've gotten a parking fine (or a "Fixed Charge Offence") the other day, my car was parked outside my house that I've moved into a few months ago. I don't have a resident parking permit because I never got any time off work to get one yet. I've been lucky to not require parking during pay-hours until now.

If I got and sort a residents parking permit, do you think that I can get the "fine" ignored?

Additionally I've read the whole ticket and it seems very dodgy to me. The wording is as follows:
    3. You will not be prosecuted
    (a) during the period of 56 days from the date of this notice, or
    (b) at all, if the correct payment, in accordance with this notice, during that period, is made in respect of the offence specified in this notice.

To me that sounds like I cannot be prosecuted and that they used that phrasing as scare tactics. No where else on the ticket does it mention prosecution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Nah unfortunately you're liable as no disc displayed, Almost all Parking attendants in Dún Laoghaire are Private contractors, so Pretty sure you'll have to pay the fine.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It obviously means if you pay you wont be prosecuted!

the byelaws detail the circumstances for a prosecution so thats all that matters

The permits can be applied for online so they wont take that for an excuse. In my experince with them youre as well off to just pay as they prosecute on mass. and btw €40 becomes 60 after 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It clearly is saying that you have 56 days to pay, and if you do pay within that time frame the issue is closed, so on day 57 you can be prosecuted.

Hoe you get that they can't is beyond.me.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Gotham wrote: »
    To me that sounds like I cannot be prosecuted and that they used that phrasing as scare tactics.

Seems pretty clear to me:
    • You won't be prosecuted for the first 56 days after getting the notice
    • You won't be prosecuted at all if you pay the fine within 56 days
    • If you don't pay the fine within 56 days then you probably will be prosecuted

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From what Ive heard they secure a couple of court dates throughout the year and bring the prosecutions en masse, unless people settle up in the meantime.

But nobody gets off the hook, I did hear of a few righteous residents around the area that ignored the regime from the start so were racking up fines on a near daily basis for many years, plus all the accumulated costs for each. There were judgments made in Court for 5 figure sums!!! Thats a lot to cut off your nose to spite your face for........

• Advertisement
Advertisement