Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffeen Playground

Options
  • 01-06-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Wondering would any of you parents done the same?

So here's the story, I took my little fella to the playground on Wednesday at roughly 12.30, there were a good few kids there and we went in having a bit of craic with him swings/slides and even though he hates it he managed to cross the shaky bridge :D

Anyway, in to the playground strolls 2 young girls early/mid teens school uniforms on, and they went from swings to slides, just sitting there blocking the slides for kids. My little fella then goes over towards one of the slides and as I was walking over to watch him, he turns and says oh they are on it we cant use it.

I went over and simple said, "girls get off the slide its for the kids" and I then brought my little fella to the slide for him to use it. The girls walked off and one turns and says to me, "thats so disrespectful" I laughed at her and told her to get out of the playground as she should have been in school.

No other parents in the playground had said anything to these girls and I'm just amazed at this, that nobody is willing to say anything to these children, are adults these days afraid to confront kids??? In this playground anyway it seems exactly like that!! (Having said what I said I noticed one fella there I'd say he was late 30's give me a look as if he was thinking your nuts)

I'd be interested to get some opinions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Confronting teenage kids has become a no-go area for most people.
    The abuse and lack of respect that they can hurl back makes most people wary of approaching teens.
    Myself - I couldn't give a shíte, I'd tell them to feck off and let the toddlers play but I have witnessed others steer clear of confrontation with teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Well for a start I can see why the kids said "thats so disrespectful" to you as saying "girls get off the slide its for the kids" isn't exactly the nicest way of asking them to move, I have kids that use that playground and if you had said that to one of my kids I would have backed them up...
    I laughed at her and told her to get out of the playground as she should have been in school.
    also as you said it was after 12.30 on Wednesday the local collage has a half day on that day ...

And finally , when your young fella becomes a teenager I hope he dosnt meet someone like you when hes in the playground with his friend, O thats right you wont let him use it as he will be too old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Plain and simple a playground is not for teenagers. . .

The girls were not using the slide just blocking the stairs up to it. . .

They were not there with any adults if they were I would have brought it up with their parents. . .

Your dead right, my young lad will not be allowed hang around playgrounds when he's a teenager never mind when he's supposed to be in school!!

As for a local college having a half day, I have no idea what school they were from, if it helps they had a green school uniform on. If he did happen to be in a playground at the same age of these girls I would hope an adult would tell him where to go, I would have absolutely no issue with it.

Advertisement