Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you bothered about the jubilee?

• 01-06-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭

was driving to work this morning listening to bbc 5live and there was a phone in show about whether or not people are bothered about the queen's jubilee over the weekend.

then some fella, called robert, who lives in kerry, came on and said that people in ireland can't believe what's going on over in the UK and that they're green with envy with all the celebrations.
    i can understand being jealous about the extra day off, but do you give a shyte about anything else?? i live in england and am just looking forward to the 4 day weekend really.

he comes on about 6.30 in to the show.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01j9gwc/5_live_Breakfast_Your_Call_01_06_2012/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

she was the worst of the X-Men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I'm english and couldn't give even a single fuck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's some dude from Kerry. He hardly speaks for the nation.

I have to say I don't care, nobody I know here cares and very few people i know in England care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I'm Welsh and I care, almost everyone I know in the UK cares too, missing all the feel good celebrations and happiness... and stuck here with fiscal bull**** that and referendum / recession / no money etc... this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

what's a jubilee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

You'd have to be one pathetic fool to get bothered by such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They put on a great show

Ah god love the English, fighting for democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan, all the while singing "God save the queen".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The four day weekend and the street parties would be fun. We should do it here when we win Euro 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

It keeps the word 'bunting' in common usage.

For that alone, I'm all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The thing to remember about radio phone-ins is that the people who phone in are complete f**king idiots. Until theres some form of conscription whereby normal people are forced on to give their views I'll reserve the right to treat all callers with disdain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no most definately not one bit stuff the queen and her jubillee ask the tax payers of the uk what they think about her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ah god love the English, fighting for democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan, all the while singing "God save the queen".

It's a nice soundbite James but of course the Queen has feck all political power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

old_aussie wrote: »
    what's a jubilee
    some sort of a clip, i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can we ban the Brit Outrage-themed threads from AH for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

some sort of a clip, i think
    indeed

such a fabulously brilliant one they even named a tube line after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

no most definately not one bit stuff the queen and her jubillee ask the tax payers of the uk what they think about her

The Royal family generates £500 million a year from tourism

bilston wrote: »

It's a nice soundbite James but of course the Queen has feck all political power.

Remind me again how much money she and her extended family receive to exercise this minimal political power, purely as a result of who their parents are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The last time that an English monarch celebrated being on the throne for 60 years, she presided over a huge empire. This time, the descendants of most of that empire's population are living in the UK.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

They look over the water in awe at whats going on in britain.

Quote from the bbc5 live interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

stovelid wrote: »
    Can we ban the Brit Outrage-themed threads from AH for a while?

this isn't meant as an outrage thread, just thought that guy that's living in kerry was talking through his hole, which it appears he was.

he said he'll be putting up bunting though.... just sayin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I don't pay her any taxes, let her at it. In fact I just got a whopping great income tax rebate from the last time i worked in the UK 6 years ago, so I say sail on. You deserve it. I'll be out spending the refund, cheers Lizzie.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I would imagine the Queen's jubilee is as relevant to most English people as the visit of St Therese's relics was to the Irish. In both cases an ancient bag of bones is paraded around for some people to gawk at while the most of the population get pissed off about the traffic restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Sure the French have different days off to the ROI too?
    What’s to be jealous of? I hope the UK has a good time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Couldn't care less what a foreign Queen celebrates.
    The fact that a woman is still willing to shake the hand of an Arab dictator that cracks down on females and their rights back home, exposes her though to higher levels of stupidity along with her supposed upper class Royalists claim she's entitled to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, good for them. Don't really care personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

I work for an English company and I am getting Tuesday off so I am eternally gratefull for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Is it anti-semitic to hate this jewbilee?

Seeing as the Queen's visit was met with almost universal apathy in Dublin I doubt anyone here gives a flying fcuk!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'm working in Britain at the moment, couldn't give a toss about it, I'll be working on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I would imagine the Queen's jubilee is as relevant to most English people as the visit of St Therese's relics was to the Irish. In both cases an ancient bag of bones is paraded around for some people to gawk at while the most of the population get pissed off about the traffic restrictions.

Probably the masses of people who will be celebrating and lining the streets of London makes your claim look a little daft. Probably.

I've business to be celebrating, but let them. Good luck and enjoy it people over there, and i suppose up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

He will be a brave man to put out the bunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm literally fizzing at the slit over it

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I am pie wrote: »
    Probably the masses of people who will be celebrating and lining the streets of London makes your claim look a little daft. Probably.

I've business to be celebrating, but let them. Good luck and enjoy it people over there, and i suppose up there too.

Maybe you could spot who's there for the relic and who's there for the party atmosphere and relaxed attitude to public drinking on the day?

Or perhaps you reckon all those Irish people you see out celebrating on Paddy's day are venerating a saint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

People who phone radio shows to give their opinions are not smart people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm wondering will she beat the record? The longest serving British monarch was Queen Victoria, 64 years. Queen Elizabeth now was 60...it will be tough, Victoria ascended 7 years younger than Liz. Apart from that, no it seems like a nice patriotic celebration so whatever theyre having theirselves but I don't care a whole lot and I'm not 'envious'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Juba-what?

al28283 wrote: »
    People who phone radio shows to give their opinions are not smart people

Bill Gates did it on 'Frasier'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Maybe you could spot who's there for the relic and who's there for the party atmosphere and relaxed attitude to public drinking on the day?

Or perhaps you reckon all those Irish people you see out celebrating on Paddy's day are venerating a saint?

It may surprise you but people will turn up wherever the Queen will be. She may not be everybody's cup of Earl Grey but the majority want her.

You can't compare with St Patrick's Day as this is a once off celebration weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I can't wait. I have several Union Jacks hung up, a crate of Boddingtons Ale in, 34 cornish pasties and I have Bohemian Rhapsody on a loop blaring out in the background.

This is gonna be a great, deafening, chronic diarrhea inducing weekend.

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    I can't wait. I have several Union Jacks hung up, a crate of Boddingtons Ale in, 34 cornish pasties and I have Bohemian Rhapsody on a loop blaring out in the background.

This is gonna be a great, deafening, chronic diarrhea inducing weekend.

I'd say your neighbours are crapping themselves already at your prepared celebrations! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The four day weekend and the street parties would be fun. We should do it here when we win Euro 2012.

I have visions of something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Couldn't give a flying fart to be honest:) Great to have an extra day off and being in Scotland no OTT celebrations either, seems we up here are in for good weather, England on the other hand are in for rain and loads of it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Biggins wrote: »
    Couldn't care less what a foreign Queen celebrates.
    The fact that a woman is still willing to shake the hand of an Arab dictator that cracks down on females and their rights back home, exposes her though to higher levels of stupidity along with her supposed upper class Royalists claim she's entitled to!

Whereas we know with 100% certainty that China is squeeky clean

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2012/03/taoiseach-enda-kenny-meets-chinese-premier-wen-jiabao/

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, shouldn't you be asking this question to British people, not Irish? We're not in the Commonwealth any more you know.

TL;DR: Why would I give a crap about another country's celebrations?

AEDIC wrote: »
    Whereas we know with 100% certainty that China is squeeky clean

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.php/2012/03/taoiseach-enda-kenny-meets-chinese-premier-wen-jiabao/

:rolleyes:

Aye - even FF (while in power) had North Korean military officials in the Dail to shake hands with!
    (I was there to witness it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stewart Lee's okay, but I've never heard the lesser known Jubi's act, so can't comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Madam wrote: »
    Couldn't give a flying fart to be honest:) Great to have an extra day off and being in Scotland no OTT celebrations either, seems we up here are in for good weather, England on the other hand are in for rain and loads of it;)

If I was offered a day off in order to celebrate something that meant nothing to me, I would respectfully decline it as a matter of principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

bwatson wrote: »
    If I was offered a day off in order to celebrate something that meant nothing to me, I would respectfully decline it as a matter of principle.

As they say here - 'aye, right'.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Will the Sex Pistols be getting involved this time? I hope so, couldn't meet a bunch of nicer lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement