Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you bothered about the jubilee?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's lovely. Lovely Jubilee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Confab wrote: »
    OP, shouldn't you be asking this question to British people, not Irish? We're not in the Commonwealth any more you know.

TL;DR: Why would I give a crap about another country's celebrations?

if you listen to the clip in the first post, you'll hear some guy who lives in kerry saying that irish people are jealous of what's going on.
    i had my doubts, which is why i asked. my doubts have been confirmed.
    if anyone is in kerry and sees a house with union flag bunting all around it, give it filthy looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I couldn't care less about the aul Windsor wan's party, why should I? But it's nice to see in the UK newspapers that the weather has changed and it looks like pissing on their picnic all weekend. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster does indeed move in mysterious ways. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

OP, shouldn't you be asking this question to British people, not Irish? We're not in the Commonwealth any more you know.

TL;DR: Why would I give a crap about another country's celebrations?
    you must be or you wouldent be posting on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I love the Queen coz I haz a day off Tuesday. Whats her name, Mary?

I love you MARY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Biggins wrote: »
    Couldn't care less what a foreign Queen celebrates.
    The fact that a woman is still willing to shake the hand of an Arab dictator that cracks down on females and their rights back home, exposes her though to higher levels of stupidity along with her supposed upper class Royalists claim she's entitled to!

I didn't realise the Pope was an Arab? they reckon she might be shaking hands with Martin Mcguinness this week as well, so I guess that proves she doesn't have a cushy job;)

We have all our bunting hung up and the union Jack plates, cups and napkins all ready for Sunday.

Cucumber sandwiches, pork pies and Pimms for everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

summerskin wrote: »
    I'm english and couldn't give even a single fuck

Ditto. I've managed to be elsewhere for pretty much every royal "event" that's happened in my lifetime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Pimms for everyone!!

Yuck! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

a very sad day for some boardies.....nothing else to get annoyed about...except the queen..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The whole of AH is narked today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

a very sad day for some boardies.....nothing else to get annoyed about...except the queen..

Not just 'The' queen 'A' queen;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

The Royal family generates £500 million a year from tourism

I don't believe that for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There is no decent sport on tv this weekend apart form The Derby so its some entertainment at least for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989
    The Royal family generates 625.08€ million a year from tourism
    I don't believe that for a second.
    Not for a second - a year! :p:D

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

I doubt myself, they pull back in that much - but if they do, what are they also costing the state in return?
    And when one is taken away from the other, is there a surplus or a big deficit!

Even you take the Liz and her gang out of the equation all the history, palaces and other paraphernalia that is associated with royalty remains - that's why I find the £½ billion figure hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Jubilee slouches in the settee
    He's losing all will to move
    He gone divvy
    Too much telly
    He watching 24 hours of rubbish
    He got butane
    He got plastic bags
    His eyes are going square
    He no raver
    Just anti-social
    He not going to cut his hair
    He dresses incorrectly
    No one told him how
    Seventeen
    He not mean enough
    He dresses incorrectly
    No one told him how
    Seventeen
    He not keen on being like
    Anyone else

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

**** the queen!!
    Have no problem with people celebrating it tho, I would too if I were English.
    if anyone is in kerry and sees a house with union flag bunting all around it, give it filthy looks.

I'll keep an eye out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Even you take the Liz and her gang out of the equation all the history, palaces and other paraphernalia that is associated with royalty remains - that's why I find the £½ billion figure hard to believe.

But she would need to be replaced by a president and they aren't cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sure let lizzy on- GB haven't had a great time of it lately. I wonder will RUS beat them in the medals in the Olympics??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gotta love the Guardian and the 'Republican' button they have to hide all the Royal garbage :D

The fact they'd bother to include such a thing shows that Republicanism in the UK is growing in popularity. There's even a load of protests organised for the day of the jubilee - http://www.republic.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Gotta love the Guardian and the 'Republican' button they have to hide all the Royal garbage :D

The fact they'd bother to include such a thing shows that Republicanism in the UK is growing in popularity. There's even a load of protests organised for the day of the jubilee - http://www.republic.org.uk/

Well, there is one.

The Monarchy is safe for a fair while yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I'm been invited to two Jubilee related events over the BH weekend here in England , one's a Barbie on sunday and the others a street party but I'll settle for just the Barbie and join in the spirt of the occasion .

But she would need to be replaced by a president and they aren't cheap.

Yeah but at least the people of the UK would be able to choose their president and technically they could choose someone like this if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I couldn't give a single f'uck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

QUOTE]
    Don't tell Sir Terry Wogan that. And it's Her Majesty to you peasants.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Is there free food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

She must be sick to f*ckin death of hearing god save the queen by now.
    Extra day off work over there, what's not to love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

She must be sick to f*ckin death of hearing god save the queen by now.

Just saw Katherine Jenkins singing that little ditty again at Epsom. What a pair of....lungs!! Tremendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the aul Windsor wan's party, why should I? But it's nice to see in the UK newspapers that the weather has changed and it looks like pissing on their picnic all weekend. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster does indeed move in mysterious ways. :D:D

Why are you pleased to see that it will now be raining on the celebrations? That seems a bit mean-spirited for someone who couldn't care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great to see another 'burn everything English but their coal thread' - talk about the Brits being xenophobic. Some of the armchair provos on this thread need to get lives. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Just saw Katherine Jenkins singing that little ditty again at Epsom. What a pair of....lungs!! Tremendous.
    Yes.
    I would totally bajigo her bajooga

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

You's are annoyed when she comes here.

You's are annoyed when she stays at home.

You'd be better off going outside and shouting at the clouds to try and keep the rain away on this bank holiday weekend.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not for a second - a year! :p:D

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

I doubt myself, they pull back in that much - but if they do, what are they also costing the state in return?
    They make more than they cost.

The Royals cost the average British tax payer less than 10 pence a year.

The problem is that the fact they aren't a financial black hole doesn't fit in with this "leeches" / "waste of money" image that certain quarters try to portray (inaccurately).

They're a money making machine, so long as that remains the case then I'm firmly of the opinion they should stay (though admittedly I no longer pay taxes to HMRC).

For what it's worth, not bothered on the Jubilee. Won't watch it on TV but would have appreciated the extra day off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I have absolutely no idea what a jubilie is, and I don't care to find out.
    Something to do with the queen as far as I can make out.
    So that's a bit boring really isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

stovelid wrote: »
    Can we ban the Brit Outrage-themed threads from AH for a while?

You can't ban free speech just because you don't like / agree with the subject up for discussion 'stovelid'...tis a democracy after all ;)

If the British want to celebrate their monarch with a 4 day ding dong...fair fúcks to them I say, tis their right after all !

Looking forward to the 1916 centenary celebrations meself :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Can't abide the whole institution myself, but my whole neighbourhood is covered in Union Flags.

I find it depressing people care about the redundant, unelected, privileged sponges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pjdkeane

I'm from Ireland also and i read The UK Times everyday to see all about the celebrations. It's great to see a celebration of this magnitude. Hope to see more on Sky News over the weekend. It's a bit like the olympics....excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

mongdesade wrote: »
    You can't ban free speech just because you don't like / agree with the subject up for discussion 'stovelid'...tis a democracy after all ;)

If the British want to celebrate their monarch with a 4 day ding dong...fair fúcks to them I say, tis their right after all !

Looking forward to the 1916 centenary celebrations meself :eek:

They can ban what they want to from this forum. Try starting a football thread here and tell the mods all about your rights when it's closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

awec wrote: »
    They make more than they cost.

The Royals cost the average British tax payer less than 10 pence a year.

The problem is that the fact they aren't a financial black hole doesn't fit in with this "leeches" / "waste of money" image that certain quarters try to portray (inaccurately).

They're a money making machine, so long as that remains the case then I'm firmly of the opinion they should stay (though admittedly I no longer pay taxes to HMRC).

I'd agree with that. I was in London for 4 days for the Heineken Cup. Last year, I was there about a week before the Wills & whatsherface wedding. The amount of jubilee crap (this year) and wedding crap (last year) in the shops that people were falling all over each other to buy, was just unreal. And I'm not talking about dodgy dudes on street corners selling tea towels and flags, I mean the likes of Harrods & Fortnum & Masons. Even the gift shop beside Westminster Abbey was selling wall to wall jubilee stuff. Add in the hordes of tourists who invade London at times like this, spending money in hotels, shops, tourist attractions, restaurants and pubs, and its ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching all the way around imo.

Am by no means a fan of monarchies, especially this one, but I do think that Lizzie and her crew contribute more to the financial health of London in particular, then they cost it. It's just hard to measure it in any quantifiable terms as they largely have a knock on effect on businesses more than they do on the wallet of the average person in the street or the exchequer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Couldn't care less about the jubilee.

Was told by a newsagent that magazines with coverage of it are being snapped up by the local Protestants who normally never buy magazines of any sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Going on the people I work with about 10% care and the other 90% are going great, 4 day piss up. Most of the country doesnt care not that the media would suggest other wise.

I've seen reports in local papers saying whole areas are decked out for the celebrations. Ah ya cause 10 houses in an estate of 500 makes a whole area decked out. I've seen more flags for a ballybackarseway u14 football county final.

Basically its a day off work for those that work to celebrate somebody that has never worked and hasn't died yet.

*, four day weekend, cracks open can, cheers lizzy*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm very bloody bothered, it's a four day weekend and I run out of drugs before the pharmacy gets deliveries on Wednesday.

zerks wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about the jubilee.

Was told by a newsagent that magazines with coverage of it are being snapped up by the local Protestants who normally never buy magazines of any sort.

How the hell does he know if a customer is a protestant?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

She's a harmless old Lady doing diplomatic work and she gives them a sense of themselves .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Great to see another 'burn everything English but their coal thread' - talk about the Brits being xenophobic. Some of the armchair provos on this thread need to get lives. :rolleyes:

You ain't seen nothing yet - the English / Brits get off light.

It's whole swathes of our own population that the strongest vitriol is set aside for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bwatson wrote: »
    How the hell does he know if a customer is a protestant?

Small town & everybody knows everybody else.So it's no mystery as to peoples religion.
    They never buy those type of magazines but are going wild for Jubilee specials.

zerks wrote: »
    Small town & everybody knows everybody else.So it's no mystery as to peoples religion.
    They never buy those type of magazines but are going wild for Jubilee specials.

Oh right, that sounds fair enough!

And good on them if they want to enjoy the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I work in a Canadian TV station and for the past two weeks I've had to produce daily news specials on the Queen, her life and work, her daily routine, who she's met, countries she's visited, what she did during her trips to Canada, what's in her handbag, who preceded her and who will succeed her, her parents, her son, her grandkids, the Jubilee Trust.

I hate the Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I find the pageantry surrounding royalty fascinating. I would imagine it's dreary for those involved though. Imagine being the Queen, you have all the wealth you could possible want but no personal freedom.

I doubt she cares about the jubilee - it's just more boring public engagements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement