Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you bothered about the jubilee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

zerks wrote: »
    Was told by a newsagent that magazines with coverage of it are being snapped up by the local Protestants who normally never buy magazines of any sort.

There'll be plenty of Catholics and Irish folk snapping up those type of things too.

A lot more than would care to admit I reckon - not that it's anything to be ashamed of.

________________________________________________________________________________

If I was over in England I'd probably go on the piss with English/British people if I was invited but I wouldn't be interested in getting involved otherwise.

Anyway, to all those people who will be celebrating, have a good weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Couldn't give a rats arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

beks101 wrote: »
    I work in a Canadian TV station and for the past two weeks I've had to produce daily news specials on the Queen, her life and work, her daily routine, who she's met, countries she's visited, what she did during her trips to Canada, what's in her handbag, who preceded her and who will succeed her, her parents, her son, her grandkids, the Jubilee Trust.

I hate the Queen.

You should pepper the reports with mild yet amusing inaccuracies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bwatson wrote: »
    How the hell does he know if a customer is a protestant?

The Irish know how to smell out a Prod and then burn his house down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Proof that West Brits arent confined to the Dublin region!

I'm pissed off about all the ****e that we'll be getting from the unionists and would rather that there was not a triumphalist celebration of an antiquated, undemocratic institution who is the very symbol of British imperialism, in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

All around my area there are buntings and flags and goodwill messages,

I sure hope Ireland play well next week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat Star

This is one of the rare occasions where I'm glad that I don't have a radio or a TV. All these royal ceremonies (William's wedding, now the Queen's jubilee, for example) get a lot more attention than they actually deserve, considering it's just a bunch of people in high positions showing "Hey, we're better than you!". At least that's the idea that I get from it.

To those who celebrate the jubilee: enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Nah not bothered! The OH is English and he doesn't care either and does his parents.

There'll be plenty of Catholics and Irish folk snapping up those type of things too.

Thats true. My mother and grandmother are big into the Queen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I'm pissed off about all the ****e that we'll be getting from the unionists and would rather that there was not a triumphalist celebration of an antiquated, undemocratic institution who is the very symbol of British imperialism, in Ireland.
    Change the record. Join the 21st century. Imperialish? Catch your-self on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I've been waiting for this moment all my life

''ALLAHU AKBAR!!!!!!!!!!!''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

You should pepper the reports with mild yet amusing inaccuracies

I'm so totally open to this, serious Jubilee fatigue setting in. What sort of inaccuracies could one suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Sorry to hear you think of it in that way but I can assure you the vast majority of British people, if chosing to celebrate the Jubilee, would not be doing it with a "triumphalist" agenda.

You call it an antiquated institution, but adhering to a system of the past is not necessarily a bad thing if it continues to have a relevance. The Monarchy provides continuity, stability and identity in Britain.

What must be remembered is that many other highly developed, highly democratic peoples also chose to retain the monarchical system of government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The only people worse than creationists, are monarchists.

Then further down the cretin pole are the Irish monarchists.

I wonder if half these proud monarchists are in anyway knowledgeable about the history of the flag they seem to wear so proudly, or the fact that they are celebrating the most famous inbred family in the world.

bwatson wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you think of it in that way but I can assure you the vast majority of British people, if chosing to celebrate the Jubilee, would not be doing it with a "triumphalist" agenda.

You call it an antiquated institution, but adhering to a system of the past is not necessarily a bad thing if it continues to have a relevance. The Monarchy provides continuity, stability and identity in Britain.

What must be remembered is that many other highly developed, highly democratic peoples also chose to retain the monarchical system of government.

I was talking about "in Ireland"

We both know this crap is very triumphalism in the six counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Really?

The real villain and architect of Irish oppression was a blood thirsty republican.

Ironing?

Varied wrote: »
    The only people worse than creationists, are monarchists.

Then further down the cretin pole is the Irish monarchists.

I wonder if half these proud monarchists are in anyway knowledgeable about the history of the flag they seem to wear so proudly, or the fact that they are celebrating the most famous inbred family in the world.

Yes, but they're OUR inbred royal family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Experience for me so far is free parking for the weekend which was any this morning as I'd abandoned the car in Berkeley Sq last night when ont' lash. Also easy to pick up this morning as every Londoner seems to have abandoned the city. Huge number of tourists but can ignore where they congregate. Tomorrow might be a pain as I live near Tower Brdge and lots of roads closed. Who cares really? Most British people I knw don't care except forthe extra holiday.

Yes, but they're OUR inbred royal family.

Now you mention it. Charles's eyes are rather close together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The real villain and architect of Irish oppression was a blood thirsty republican.

lol, true dat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Damn Brits and their four day weekend *shakes fist*

Maybe if Michael D kicked the bucket and had a funeral on a Tuesday at the start of August then maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

no most definately not one bit stuff the queen and her jubillee ask the tax payers of the uk what they think about her

She's great....enjoyed this afternoon's street party, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

My front street looks so colourful...Irish bunting everywhere. My house with 2 5x3ft diamond jubilee flags, loads of smaller union flags all up the drive and from every front window. and bunting all at the front too. Very colourful so it is.
    Have a lovely collection of British ales and pimms ready. oh and the endless supply of homemade nibbles...tally ho chums!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Hey today let`s not be mean ...instead say God Save the Queen :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

M'eh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ah lay off Marks and Spencer will ya.

Also, if you'd a little more confidence in your own sense of Irishness, you wouldn't be so threatened by British folks enjoying a party.

It looked to be a miserable day over there today

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Ah lay off Marks and Spencer will ya.

Also, if you'd a little more confidence in your own sense of Irishness, you wouldn't be so threatened by British folks enjoying a party.
    I'm not the insecure one... hence the need for unionists to engage in triumphalist things like this. Different beast in the north compared to England tbf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

More power to them I say. Watched a bit of it today & found it boring enough, all this carry on with boats. However, I did love the wedding last year, took the day off work and all, love a bit of royal glammer, me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I'm not the insecure one... hence the need for unionists to engage in triumphalist things like this. Different beast in the north compared to England tbf.
    Come on now, it's once every 60 years. I think it's been a bit subdued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

This was on at my mam's house today when I went for dinner. It looked very sad indeed, a load of people acting pompous out in the rain on a miserable day and trying to pass it off as some kind of historical event. There'd be uproar in this country if our taxes were being spent on staging something as sad and pointless as that.

Kurz wrote: »
    This was on at my mam's house today when I went for dinner. It looked very sad indeed, a load of people acting pompous out in the rain on a miserable day and trying to pass it off as some kind of historical event. There'd be uproar in this country if our taxes were being spent on staging something as sad and pointless as that.

Have you ever been to college green on March 17th?

Have you ever been to college green on March 17th?

People celebrate St Patrick's day? They do that all over the world, in every major city. It's a very important day and means a lot more than whatever that damp mess the Brits did today means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Out of curiosity who are you talking about?:)

Tym wrote: »
    Out of curiosity who are you talking about?:)
    Cromwell.

Republican my hole though. Dictator more like

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

We get it, you all don't care about the jubilee. Have a cookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I don't care about the jubilee, but I feel a strong affection for our UK neighbours and although I am opposed to monarchy like most Irish people, I don't begrudge the British the opportunity to enjoy a feel-good celebration in these pretty doomtastic times.

Like most countries in Europe, the UK is going through a difficult time right now. Their sense of pride in their community is diminished by economic worries. I think Irish people can appreciate that more than most. That's why the jubilee matters - it's not really about the Queen - it's about celebrating the British society that many of us have been lucky to be welcomed into and to which the British people belong. I hope they enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Though Im from Ireland I've always been pro-monarch. I thought it was a wonderful celebration, handled in a quite pedestrian manner by the BBC but even they (and the rain) couldn't put a damper (see what I did there?) on the festivities. The Queen carried herself with the class and dignity that her reign has embodied throughout, that she stood for the entire duration of festivities was a wonderful example of her character, strong, resilient, proud. An absolute pleasure to behold.

Though Im from Ireland I've always been pro-monarch. I thought it was a wonderful celebration, handled in a quite pedestrian manner by the BBC but even they (and the rain) couldn't put a damper (see what I did there?) on the festivities. The Queen carried herself with the class and dignity that her reign has embodied throughout, that she stood for the entire duration of festivities was a wonderful example of her character, strong, resilient, proud. An absolute pleasure to behold.

Are you gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Is that you Dr. Paisley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I guess it's really no concern of ours what happens in Britain but if I was still living in London I'd have certainly gone to see the Thames pageant and if there was a party organized in my locality I'd be attending and joining in the fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People, Monarchism does not equal "them Brits".
    Biggins wrote: »
    Not for a second - a year! :p:D

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

I doubt myself, they pull back in that much - but if they do, what are they also costing the state in return?
    And when one is taken away from the other, is there a surplus or a big deficit!

They cost:

2007 - £32.8 million
    2008 - £34.7 million
    2009 - £36.5 million
    2010 - £33.9 million
    2011 - £32.1 million

Question is how much suprlus are they adding to the British economy?

Are you gay?

I didn't realise words had to be limited to two syllables or else your sexuality will be called into question.

No Im not Dr. Paisley, just somebody who supports the monarchs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

No Im not Dr. Paisley, just somebody who supports the monarchs.
    Out of curiosity, what it is about heritability at the head of state that you find so appealing:confused:

I think its disgusting tbh when there are many people suffering poverty in Britain to spend so much on something like that...

But I'm a bit weird I think, lavish surroundings/opulence disgust me, all seems so unnecessary.

I didn't realise words had to be limited to two syllables or else your sexuality will be called into question.

It was a sincere question based on your interest in pageantry rather than a comment on the length of your words.

I think its disgusting tbh when there are many people suffering poverty in Britain to spend so much on something like that...

But I'm a bit weird I think, lavish surroundings/opulence disgust me, all seems so unnecessary.

How much did it cost?

It was a sincere question based on your interest in pageantry rather than a comment on the length of your words.

I dont think you need to be attracted to other men to enjoy pageantry, it's not as if anyone who goes to the theatre is automatically a homosexual, not that there is anything wrong with that lifestyle, it's simply a bizarre assumption.

later12 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what it is about heritability at the head of state that you find so appealing:confused:

I've always found her to be a fantastic ambassador of Britain, a model head of state who carries herself with the class and dignity that should be expected of a monarch. Of course there are critics and I accept that the majority of Irish people will always view the monarchy in a negative light but I've always been impressed with the monarchy and don't possess any of the anti-British feeling that you sometimes get with patriotic Irish people.

• Advertisement

I've always found her to be a fantastic ambassador of Britain, a model head of state who carries herself with the class and dignity that should be expected of a monarch. Of course there are critics and I accept that the majority of Irish people will always view the monarchy in a negative light but I've always been impressed with the monarchy and don't possess any of the anti-British feeling that you sometimes get with patriotic Irish people.

What is your opinion of King George VI?

Advertisement