Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you bothered about the jubilee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

dsmythy wrote: »
    How much did it cost?
    I dont know the exact cost in England, but I imagine the boats etc cost a fair bit, plus in the north anyway, councils have set aside fairly substantial pots of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

What is your opinion of King George VI?

I wasn't alive during his reign so forming an opinion on him would just be based on literature, documentaries and the movie, "The King's Speech" though I did think Colin Firth was superb but that doesn't really have much to do with the actual man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

the class and dignity that should be expected of a monarch.
    What does this mean?

I don't want to derail this thread with republicanism vs monarchy, I'm just curious as to why that "class and dignity" would be a trait in a monarch particularly, or why you would describe yourself as supporting the monarchs more generally.

What is it about monarchy that appeals to you as opposed to the woman herself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Couldn't give a rats arse...I mean she got the post because she was in line, not like she's been elected. She only has had the post so long because she hasn't died, not a real achievement in my book to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Couldn't give a **** personally and the idea of a monarchy goes against my politics. However, I do hope people get some enjoyment out of it. My auld one loves all that shyte and she really enjoyed watching the celebrations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kurz wrote: »
    People celebrate St Patrick's day? They do that all over the world, in every major city. It's a very important day and means a lot more than whatever that damp mess the Brits did today means.

What exactly does St Patrick's day mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

What exactly does St Patrick's day mean?

google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ah, I think the ill feeling about the jubilee is unfair. Its their culture and they are entitled to celebrate it. Plenty of other countries mark significant days with fireworks and pageantry, why shouldn't they?

I'm not a royalist, nor am I interested in anything the British monarchy does. But she's been queen for 60 years and if that's your political institution you should celebrate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I doubt she would care much for me or my family tree thanks to the fact my grandad had such a good score killing Black and Tans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Show Time wrote: »
    I doubt she would care much for me or my family tree thanks to the fact my grandad had such a good score killing Black and Tans.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's strange that people winge and moan about it and say "most people I know dont care" yet 1.5 million people lined the streets of London alone to watch it. Which is more people than the amount that bothered to vote here in the referendum. So I think plenty of people do care thankfully.

Oh and the argument that nobody elected her is stupid and so full of bitterness by the people that speak it. It's such a pathetic reason to hate the Queen. Just cos you didn't pick her, you hate her! Most governments that we elect we hate too so what difference would it make! People would still whine.

It seems to me that many Irish people are incapable are defining their identity except by their level of anti-Britishness. If Britain sank beneath the waves in the morning they would be in a right pickle. :D

Link?
    Hang on there so while i reanimate his dead body so he can post.:rolleyes:

Hang on there so while i reanimate his dead body so he can post.:rolleyes:

Well, I thought you would be able to tell us more than that as he obviously defeated the Brits single handed. :rolleyes:

NinjaK wrote: »
    google it

I have. http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-so-what-does-st-patrick%E2%80%99s-day-actually-mean/

I still don't see how it could possibly mean "much More" than the Queen's jubilee.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Don't worry, she wouldn't care about you either way.

Well, I thought you would be able to tell us more than that as he obviously defeated the Brits single handed. :rolleyes:
    Not by himself.

He had another few fine Corkmen helping him.

Don't worry, she wouldn't care about you either way.
    Great way to state the obvious.

I see a career in journalism for you lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Oh, spiffing. In the middle of the Jubilee pop concert, they're showing a montage of events from the Queen's life. The soundtrack? A bad instrumental cover of U2's Beautiful Day. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

bnt wrote: »
    Oh, spiffing. In the middle of the Jubilee pop concert, they're showing a montage of events from the Queen's life. The soundtrack? A bad instrumental cover of U2's Beautiful Day. :rolleyes:
    And the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I couldn't give a flying fiddlers fu)k about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

bnt wrote: »

And why wouldn't they? Do you want Stevie Wonder dragged off stage for not having a British Passport too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I dont know the exact cost in England, but I imagine the boats etc cost a fair bit, plus in the north anyway, councils have set aside fairly substantial pots of cash

How can you be disgusted with something when you don't even know exactly what it is you are disgusted with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Kurz wrote: »
    This was on at my mam's house today when I went for dinner. It looked very sad indeed, a load of people acting pompous out in the rain on a miserable day and trying to pass it off as some kind of historical event. There'd be uproar in this country if our taxes were being spent on staging something as sad and pointless as that.

Maybe you should try and look at things from the perspective of other people? Sad and pointless in your opinion maybe, but obviously not in the opinion of many hundreds of thousands who lined the Thames yesterday and have gone to the concert today. I didn't see anybody acting "pompous" at all, just people enjoying themselves and enjoying the atmosphere despite the meteorological phenomena of a British summer's day. You have a problem with people simply enjoying themselves because you don't agree with or like what it is they are celebrating? Get over yourself.

I could post the same thing about the 1916 remembrance events, it means nothing to me. I wouldn't though, because I fully realize that to many people it means a great deal, and therefore isnt a "sad" and "pointless" event, but one of great importance.

Once again, get over yourself. (For what it is worth - the whole river pageant didn't do much for me either, once you have seen one set of boats pass, you have seen them all, the next bazillion seemed thoroughly uninspiring). Just let people enjoy themselves without questioning why they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bwatson wrote: »
    How can you be disgusted with something when you don't even know exactly what it is you are disgusted with?

wimmin do it to me all the time.............................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Events like the Jubilee, or the Royal Wedding last year, are Britain's equivalent of Paddy's Day. Do you guys go out every March 17th and pay homage to the man St. Patrick? Or do you take advantage of the public holiday, get drunk (or not), enjoy yourself with friends & family and rally behind something which represents your Irishness? That seems to be what is happening in London tonight.

If St.George's Day (or a British equivalent) was celebrated annually then we probably wouldn't go so OTT on the odd event like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Whatever you think of it, there is no doubt that the Royals put on a great show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

People, Monarchism does not equal "them Brits".

They cost:

2007 - £32.8 million
    2008 - £34.7 million
    2009 - £36.5 million
    2010 - £33.9 million
    2011 - £32.1 million

Question is how much suprlus are they adding to the British economy?

King George III made a deal with the English Parliament whereby they would pay for the upkeep of the Royal family in exchange for the profits from the Crown Estate. As of last year that's about £230 million, meaning that the English governement makes a ~£200 million profit a year just by having them around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I think the Queen is a remarkably stoic lady and an advertisement for dignity and reserve in a world where vulgarity is so commonplace. She's in a strange position of having had so much yet I imagine there's a lot she's missed out on in life as a result of her status too.

I think beneath the cool exterior that's demanded of her lies a person with a warm heart and and a genuine appreciation for all her privilege. I'm not surprised her country are celebrating her, we all look to people for leadership and stability and I think it would be wonderful for Ireland if we had a similarly strong institution to admire and appreciate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

deconduo wrote: »
    King George III made a deal with the English Parliament whereby they would pay for the upkeep of the Royal family in exchange for the profits from the Crown Estate. As of last year that's about £230 million, meaning that the English governement makes a ~£200 million profit a year just by having them around.

Plus the costs of having a Presidency would dwarf what the Royal Family cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I was looking at some of the coverage from London, feeling smug about how ridiculous it is to get so excited about an antiquated institution and then I realized what a hoopla there is over here about an ancient Welsh sheep shagger every March. That wiped the grin off my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

I did try and organize a street party but none of the neighbours seemed up for it. Miserable feckers. What the hell else is there to do in Meath on a bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Like most of you I'm generally against the existence of the monarchy.

But this Jubilee has been amazing. The streets are packed with celebrations and flags. The concert tonight was great, just looking at Paul McCartney, Elton John, Tom Jones, Cheryl Cole and all these British singers of different generations and levels of success united to celebrate is really nice to see.

It's all in complete contrast to the miserable republicans with their placards and very bitter attitudes outside city hall.

Britain does not have enough confidence in itself as a "nation" to become a republic.

So lads, how do you reckon it will go down when Martin McGuinness (as looks likely) meets her and shakes hands etc in a few weeks?

Jorah wrote: »

Britain does not have enough confidence in itself as a "nation" to become a republic.

lol. It doesn't want to be a republic. A suspension of logic is required but the monarchy works for Britain. Well that is until some nutty inbred gets their arse on the throne....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So lads, how do you reckon it will go down when Martin McGuinness (as looks likely) meets her and shakes hands etc in a few weeks?

A Hi Five, what you reckon?

Seriously, that would far more significant than the state visit, contrived and over exaggerated as it was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

lol. It doesn't want to be a republic. A suspension of logic is required but the monarchy works for Britain. Well that is until some nutty inbred gets their arse on the throne....

Well I can agree with that but I'm talking about the neutrals.

The people that know the monarchy is wrong but would still feel uneasy about voting for a republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Amazing..
    What is clear is that it was some show, really well done and that it seemed to unite the country... All positive for the Brits.
    I dont hold anything against English people, History is there to not be forgotten but times have changed..

Jorah wrote: »
    Well I can agree with that but I'm talking about the neutrals.

The people that know the monarchy is wrong but would still feel uneasy about voting for a republic.

Because when you look at the alternative being smug, polished Oxbridge career politician toffs held up for election, hereditary succession looks quite appealing. Besides, there's far more important issues to concern oneself with...

K-9 wrote: »
    A Hi Five, what you reckon?

Seriously, that would far more significant than the state visit, contrived and over exaggerated as it was.
    I was hoping for a Bishop Brennan style kick in the arse or a Mr Bean style headbut...

As I understand he wants to do it and has some support from senior figures, grassroots in the north would go beserk though so I think it would be a bad idea from that POV, would be a final nail in the coffin for some I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He'll bottle it and bow down on one knee and call her "Dear Majesty". Then Gerry "Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead" Adams will take off his top hat, bow down on one knee and announce that he wishes to take on the role as "The Queens Hand".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When's it on?

He'll bottle it and bow down on one knee and call her "Dear Majesty". Then Gerry "Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead" Adams will take off his top hat, bow down on one knee and announce that he wishes to take on the role as "The Queens Hand".

Or maybe he still has his gun? Shot with a german gun, rather apt! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ah let them do what they like, I watched the royal wedding but would have no interest in this. it's not pretty enough.

Was there a show or something? I didn't see it plastered all over every channel which was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I was hoping for a Bishop Brennan style kick in the arse or a Mr Bean style headbut...

As I understand he wants to do it and has some support from senior figures, grassroots in the north would go beserk though so I think it would be a bad idea from that POV, would be a final nail in the coffin for some I think.

Despite being a Republican, I can't help but cringe when I hear that some members of the Community are unwilling to even entertain the thought of these vaguely symbolic "Hands across the divide" Press events.

When I think of these people, I can't help but imagine their Unionist equivalents. The kind of people who wouldn't step foot in a GAA Club or advocate the teaching of Irish in schools. You know the type - The Northern dinosaurs...

Despite the fact that I have literally no interest in Royal Family, I would make sure to treat the Jubilee with the kind of base-level respect that I'd hope our Unionist brethren would treat our traditions and institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I do love Ted and Bean, Martin getting is Mickey stuck would be funny!

There'll always be a "grassroots" opposed to things like this. Eventually they see political reality and move on and some other "grassroots" oppose. Such is the way of history, Irish history in particular.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

gara wrote: »
    I think the Queen is a remarkably stoic lady and an advertisement for dignity and reserve in a world where vulgarity is so commonplace. She's in a strange position of having had so much yet I imagine there's a lot she's missed out on in life as a result of her status too.

I think beneath the cool exterior that's demanded of her lies a person with a warm heart and and a genuine appreciation for all her privilege. I'm not surprised her country are celebrating her, we all look to people for leadership and stability and I think it would be wonderful for Ireland if we had a similarly strong institution to admire and appreciate

I agree with most of what you are saying except the last sentence. I would hate to have a monarchy as I still believe that all men are created equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

It is the biggest waste of time and money in the history of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I agree with most of what you are saying except the last sentence. I would hate to have a monarchy as I still believe that all men are created equal.

But if you live in a capitalist country then that isn't the case.

I was in the Mall this evening with my family.

Best.Party.Ever.

Well done her Maj on 60 years service to the country and the commonwealth and well done London, the greatest city in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement