Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

are you bothered about the jubilee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gara wrote: »
    I think it would be wonderful for Ireland if we had a similarly strong institution to admire and appreciate
    It'd be probably turned into another drinking day like Saint Patricks day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BeatDGodM0D

Opinion.

M'eh

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

The type of people who are actually serious about celebrating the jubilee of their unelected head of state, are the same clowns who are fiercely proud of fighting an illegal war in other peoples countries in the name of 'democracy'. Idiots.

Let them have a party, and if I was their I'd be glad of the day off. But the amount of educated british people that don't see the idea of celebrating the reign of an unelected head of state in 2012 as insulting is just....disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

EDudder wrote: »
    The type of people who are actually serious about celebrating the jubilee of their unelected head of state, are the same clowns who are fiercely proud of fighting an illegal war in other peoples countries in the name of 'democracy'. Idiots.

Let them have a party, and if I was their I'd be glad of the day off. But the amount of educated british people that don't see the idea of celebrating the reign of an unelected head of state in 2012 as insulting is just....disappointing.

The only person being insulting is you tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

....and well done London, the greatest city in the world.

You mean besides Pompey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

"care" might be a bit strong but yeah, I am certainly interested. I like the documentaries about her. The pomp and ritual is interesting. All in all she actually seems like a good egg - a very presentable kinda meeting point between all the various different viewpoints in the uk.

I wouldn't have a monarchy if I was inventing the uk from scratch but it seems to work well for them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't get what is so great about the concept of electing a head of state. The role carries next to no actual power. It's purely ceremonial.

The last thing Britain needs is more elections, more pontificating and more opportunities for career politicians to advance their own selfish agendas.
    I wouldn't have a monarchy if I was inventing the uk from scratch but it seems to work well for them now.

Exactly. It works and as a pragmatist that is all that matters to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

It is the biggest waste of time and money in the history of the world
    so over £300 million made from tourists this weekend was a waste of money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

brummytom wrote: »
    Can't abide the whole institution myself, but my whole neighbourhood is covered in Union Flags.

I find it depressing people care about the redundant, unelected, privileged sponges.

It is sad isn't it.

When you have deeply ignorant eejits, living on the breadline, out waving flags with the Queen's face plastered on everything. As she sails past in her jewel encrusted gold carriage, barely able to disguise her disgust for the commoners lining 'her' streets. I'd say she can't wait to get back indoors to avoid the smell of working class grovellers.

A lovely day out. I see Elton John and McCartney played live. Pass the sick bucket please.

• Advertisement

It is sad isn't it.

When you have deeply ignorant eejits, living on the breadline, out waving flags with the Queen's face plastered on everything. As she sails past in her jewel encrusted gold carriage, barely able to disguise her disgust for the commoners lining 'her' streets. I'd say she can't wait to get back indoors to avoid the smell of working class grovellers.

A lovely day out. I see Elton John and McCartney played live. Pass the sick bucket please.

would you like some cream for those grapes, they seem a bit sour :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

The Brits went all out with Union Jacks and the like...don't be getting any ideas now with the Euro's coming up...if I see any Tricolours up, I'll be making threads here about how racist yis all are :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

My 2c:

I live over here and tbh haven't noticed much. Other than the wall-to-wall tv coverage (and I don't watch much tv) you wouldn't guess anything was happening The extra day holiday is about all and depending on who you speak to is either a blessing (employees) or a curse (employers).

Only folk 'celebrating' it are grannies and grandchildren - both groups of suspect intellect (as well as the dribbling and incontinence). Oh and the sycophantic media, seriously what sort of soul-selling must a journalist commit to become a 'royal correspondent', even the horoscope writers have a greater reputation.

As for the Queen herself, don't bear her any ill-will. She came across well on her trip to Ireland. Still that's hardly grounds for the extravagance of a monarchy. The 'tourism' angle is a load of bs, I've never chosen to visit a country based on the presence of a royal family

It has just struck me that what people are in reality celebrating, is the early demise of her predecessor, George VI coupled with her early age of accession to the throne
    I was in the Mall this evening with my family.

Best.Party.Ever.

Well done her Maj on 60 years service to the country and the commonwealth and well done London, the greatest city in the world.
    Fishing for a bite from the rapid republicans are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I heard this elderly couple in their 80's got stuck on a glorified canoe for six hours in the p1ssing rain and were made wave at people. And then were forced to listen to Cliff Richard and Elton John for another 4 hours. The old fella ended up spending the night in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i have no interest in the jubilee.. but if the brits want to celebrate their queen on the throne, thats their business. let them party.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

Sour grapes? Honestly I'm not getting the impression that joseph brand's derision for the English monarchy is pretence.

Really if it wasn't for the fact that you appear cringingly, serf like I would assume you're megalomaniacal because you believe that posters that don't ascribe to your beliefs in raising others above their "station" by virtue of their birth are somehow motivated by envy or jealousy.

While I'm happy that you got a chance to wave at her disappearing back as she passed you unnoticed, I personally don't believe the vast majority of English people are credulous enough to follow your belief in "her maj's" manifest destiny. They're out for a party and any excuse would do.
    Well done her Maj on 60 years service to the country and the commonwealth and well done London, the greatest city in the world.

"Her maj" must be very proud that her term in office coincided with the final dissolution of the British Empire. The distilled efforts of centuries of Royal expansion snuffed out under her watchful gaze. Now with the Jamaican prime minister pledged to remove her as head of state in August she can look forward to an even easier schedule without having to visit that pesky nation either.

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope your forelock has gotten over its frenzied tugging. I'm sure your family members that watched you in amused disbelief as you bowed and scraped to a horse and carriage will eventually respect you again. Given time.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    My 2c:

I live over here and tbh haven't noticed much. Other than the wall-to-wall tv coverage (and I don't watch much tv) you wouldn't guess anything was happening The extra day holiday is about all and depending on who you speak to is either a blessing (employees) or a curse (employers).

Only folk 'celebrating' it are grannies and grandchildren - both groups of suspect intellect (as well as the dribbling and incontinence). Oh and the sycophantic media, seriously what sort of soul-selling must a journalist commit to become a 'royal correspondent', even the horoscope writers have a greater reputation.

As for the Queen herself, don't bear her any ill-will. She came across well on her trip to Ireland. Still that's hardly grounds for the extravagance of a monarchy. The 'tourism' angle is a load of bs, I've never chosen to visit a country based on the presence of a royal family

It has just struck me that what people are in reality celebrating, is the early demise of her predecessor, George VI coupled with her early age of accession to the throne

Fishing for a bite from the rapid republicans are ya?

The vast majority in the Mall last night were neither grannies or grandchildren.

Sour grapes? Honestly I'm not getting the impression that joseph brand's derision for the English monarchy is pretence.

Really if it wasn't for the fact that you appear cringingly, serf like I would assume you're megalomaniacal because you believe that posters that don't ascribe to your beliefs in raising others above their "station" by virtue of their birth are somehow motivated by envy or jealousy.

While I'm happy that you got a chance to wave at her disappearing back as she passed you unnoticed, I personally don't believe the vast majority of English people are credulous enough to follow your belief in "her maj's" manifest destiny. They're out for a party and any excuse would do.

"Her maj" must be very proud that her term in office coincided with the final dissolution of the British Empire. The distilled efforts of centuries of Royal expansion snuffed out under her watchful gaze. Now with the Jamaican prime minister pledged to remove her as head of state in August she can look forward to an even easier schedule without having to visit that pesky nation either.

Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope your forelock has gotten over its frenzied tugging. I'm sure your family members that watched you in amused disbelief as you bowed and scraped to a horse and carriage will eventually respect you again. Given time.

May I suggest you try sugar as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The vast majority in the Mall last night were neither grannies or grandchildren.
    May I suggest you try sugar as well.

You'd give your right arm to walk her corgis, wouldn't you?

kfallon wrote: »
    You'd give your right arm to walk her corgis, wouldn't you?

Huh?

I have my own dog thanks.

Not being a miserable begrudger and daring to actually enjoy the celebrations does not make me a daft royalist.

A huge number of my friends have been out celebrating this weekend (late 20s/early 30s). People don't consider HRH to be 'better' than the rest of us, but she's the embodiement of our country, for better or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    A huge number of my friends have been out celebrating this weekend (late 20s/early 30s). People don't consider HRH to be 'better' than the rest of us, but she's the embodiement of our country, for better or worse.

I knew yis were all Westbrits :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I just hope auld Philip is okay. Standing in the cold damp weather for so long the other day surely played its part in him being hospitalised yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ireland knows how to do a serious party when we want to too.

The problem is that we're stuck with the St. Patrick's Day festival which is in miserable March.

At least if you've a festival in July you've some sense that the weather might be half-way decent.

I wonder if Ireland should just have some kind of national festival, maybe like an Ireland Day type thing in July or August.

Go all out with pageantry, and paint the country green. It'd be a huge tourism thing too.

All these Jubilees and Olympics are keeping everyone's minds of what Cameron et Al are doing to the economy :D
    I sincerely hope the UK does not wake up with a glorious post-Jubilee / post-Olympic hangover if the markets decide they've an unsustainable credit card bill!

Just wait until they get some monarch who isn't quite so duty-bound and parties like 'twas 1599 and I'd say public attitudes might shift in the UK. The current queen's been an exemplary model of public-service, a bit like Victoria.
    I'd say Charles will just waffle on about architecture and organic farming!

At least a president has to be elected. Can you imagine being stuck with some king/queen who was like some Ali G character!?

Frankly, I prefer the French 14 July celebrations. There's something more power-to-the-people about them, yet they're still full of pageantry, concerts and fire works.

At least they're celebrating an idea of liberal democracy, equality, enlightenment and positivity.

It's the same with the US 4th of July celebrations! Ireland really needs something like that. I don't think St. Patrick's day is all that inspirational. It's just getting drunk to honor an ancient saint and has religious / conservative overtones behind it.

kfallon wrote: »

I knew yis were all Westbrits :pac:

Not judging from the evils I got whilst wearing my England shirt in Tescos on Baggot Street yesterday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm beginning to wonder when Sky News will turn back in to an actual news channel. The coverage of the jubilee is complete overkill, don't think they've shown anything else at all for the past 3-4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed

A group of long-term unemployed jobseekers were bussed into London to work as unpaid stewards during the diamond jubilee celebrations and told to sleep under London Bridge before working on the river pageant.

filthy peasants helped ensure the great day

A group of long-term unemployed jobseekers were bussed into London to work as unpaid stewards during the diamond jubilee celebrations and told to sleep under London Bridge before working on the river pageant.

This is so unlike the 'royal' family. I mean, it's not like they ever got rich on the backs of slaves, now is it. (Worldwide)

And still they cheer.

Did anyone giver her The Bumps?

Why would they give her the bumps? It's not her birthday.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah the guardian, it must be true then. :rolleyes:

Snap. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

awec wrote: »

Yeah, theres no grounds for it all. The firm involved just apologised because it didn't want to upset the people lying about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Blah blah blah....800 years blah blah....

Nothing to do with you... Blah blah...royalist pigs....

Get the fcuk out of it, nothing to do with you and not affecting you other than when you watch UK tv channels!

I am not a monarchist, in fact quite the opposite, but wtf has this got to do with Irish republicans or even Irish people??? Nothing at all. If Britain wants to waste money they can, it's not like they can't build a children's hospital or anything....

Worry about Ireland, not the UK. Trust me, the UK doesn't worry about Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder when Sky News will turn back in to an actual news channel.

It would have to have been an actual news channel in the first place for that to happen.

I'd only trust them for the weather.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yeah, theres no grounds for it all. The firm involved just apologised because it didn't want to upset the people lying about them.
    I'm sure it's not sensationalised at all.

I mean, "no access to public toilets for 24 hours". I am amazed that a city the size of London has absolutely no public toilets! :eek:

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Why would they give her the bumps? It's not her birthday.

Like that's the issue. Did you even read the article or just ignore it? :confused:

I'm sure it's not sensationalised at all.

O so we're changing from implying its not true to saying its sensationalised now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is so unlike the 'royal' family. I mean, it's not like they ever got rich on the backs of slaves, now is it. (Worldwide)

I'd like to think they volunteered to do it rather than being 'press ganged' into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

summerskin wrote: »

Get the fcuk out of it, nothing to do with you and not affecting you other than when you watch UK tv channels!

I am not a monarchist, in fact quite the opposite, but wtf has this got to do with Irish republicans or even Irish people??? Nothing at all. If Britain wants to waste money they can, it's not like they can't build a children's hospital or anything....

You might have missed the bit where they claim the north...

O so we're changing from implying its not true to saying its sensationalised now.....
    What?!

If it's sensationalised then it's hardly the truth! :pac: :pac:

"Man hit on head by baked bean and then licked on face by dog. The man may have provoked the bean by mooning it."

"Man visciously attacked by a bunch of baked beans just because he was poor and then almost eaten by a hungry dog. The poor individual, who was doing absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever and just walking down the street minding his own business, has been left shaken and shocked by this brutal and savage attack. This is just the latest in a spate of recent bean-related crimes - a clear sign that poor people are being trodden on by the upper classes."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

summerskin wrote: »

You might have missed the bit where they claim the north...

They don't claim it, they own it. And the majority in the north want it to stay that way. Personally I don't.

But still, the money spent was a UK decision and has already reaped far more in tourist economy. Perhaps we should try something similar in Ireland. St Patricks day is getting a bit old now, just booze and vomit, nothing for the wider community.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Well as long as my beloved Starbucks remains out of it, im okay.........

Like that's the issue. Did you even read the article or just ignore it? :confused:

I read it at lunchtime. What does that have to do with you asking if someone gave the Queen the bumps?

I highly doubt that The Queen had any knowledge of, or would have approved the idea of, using those people. The Work Programme is an initiative of the elected British Government. Not their finest hour, for sure, but nothing to do with the Queen.

What?!

If it's sensationalised then it's hardly the truth! :pac: :pac:

So they didn't get dumped in london in the middle of the night and end up stuck under a bridge, then do a 14 hour shift without access to toilets organised.....?

So they didn't get dumped in london in the middle of the night and end up stuck under a bridge, then do a 14 hour shift without access to toilets organised.....?
    I doubt they were "dumped" in London (there's that sensationalism again).

You really think they were kicked out of a bus under a bridge and told that the bus would be back for them in a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You tell us what you'd prefer, Daily Mail, The Sun or better yet Daily Express?:rolleyes:

You'd swear it was an Phobalacht you were talking about, not one of the most respected broadsheets in the UK

• Advertisement

I doubt they were "dumped" in London (there's that sensationalism again).

According to you its sensationalism, according to me its an appropriate term, considering what happened.
    You really think they were kicked out of a bus under a bridge and told that the bus would be back for them in a few days?

No-one has mentioned anything about a bus being back for them in a few days.

They were put out of the bus and told to "camp" under a bridge. No proper arrangements were made for a changing area. It also seems that no arrangements were made for people to access toilets during their (very long) shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

It's been mainly a celebration for the older generation & young kids who love parties, nothing wrong with that & I wish my English Stepmom, who was a an avid royalist had lived a couple of weeks more to see it but she died of cancer beforehand. :(

Queen Elizabeth II has obviously served her country well & is respected around the & this event is a commemoration of that.

I do feel however, that there have been overtones of Nuremburg with celebs included that I find distastful & the media has been nothing but Goebels type propaganda over the last 2 weeks. The BBC have been particularly bad & any opposing point of view has been swept aside, not fair in a democracy IMO.

Many royalists also want Prince Charles to be bypassed in favour of his son William. They don't want Camilia on the throne because of all the lingering bitterness of Diana's treatment & there will be a lot of resentment if that happens.

The monarchy could be heading for troubled times with another succession crisis..............! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Was an awesome Jubilee weekend....haven't experienced such camaraderie and collective pride in my lifetime (both in the big crowds by the river, the street party in my 'hood, and the pubs that were jammed with live jubilee coverage). Plus barbeques, booze, astounding scenes on the Mall last night....just real feelgood stuff.

Felt a pride in being British that I didn't really know I had....and that is a really good thing. She is a good ol' bird....

I'm half British, half Irish, lived in each for around 50% of my life, but I have to say that this weekend meant more to me than St Patricks day meant to me in Ireland. Personally I think it is a lesson to the Irish.....to turn St Patricks day into more than a just celebration of heavy drinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm just glad it's over, my enjoyment of the Daily Mail online is being ruined by it. Surely far more sensationalist and trashy things are happening in the world?!!

I'm just glad it's over, my enjoyment of the Daily Mail online is being ruined by it. Surely far more sensationalist and trashy things are happening in the world?!!

....there was something about Miley Cyrus and side-boobage earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement