Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gio

Options
  • 01-06-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

What's the story with this lad ? Is it just me or has he been treated unbelievably harsh over the last 2 years or so ?

I understand when he first signed, he was mad for a drink and a night out, and the stories of him being in London and European nightclubs during the week were doing the rounds, but has he ever got a chance under the current manager ? For all the great man management skills our 'Leader' has and all of the wonderful coaches around him, we still have this South American talent rotting away at our club.

OK, he could be a little bollo*, but should the management team not be managing that situation, and trying to get the best (football wise) out of him ? The other argument is that he is simply not good enough, maybe so, but have we seen anough of him in a Tottenham jersey to make our minds up ? He seems to shine every time he plays for Mexico, yes it might be against poor sides, but there has to be something in him.

I found it amazing that he was brought on in a couple of games near the end of the season, not good enough for the last 2 odd years, but hang on, I think he might save the day for us now :rolleyes:

I know we have 2 good wingers at the club, but that's no excuse.

Just wondering what you all thought about him ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Another one of Harry's fcukups. This guy has potential imo, and for some reason he's not given the opportunity to show it. He's one of Mexico's star players, I don't care who they play most of their games against, that warrants at the very least 20 apps a season for us. If he moves on, like KPB, we'll regret selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Will end up in a mid tale La liga side, not suited to English football at all imo, not nearly as good as he thinks he is. He's not clever enough to be a second striker, not an out an out winger, not a proper centre forward, is a pure luxury player and he's not good enough to be carried or indulged in the way you would for a top class player.
    I'm not Harry's biggest fan but I think he's given him as much of an opportunity as was warranted.

That's an atrocious article, full of inaccuracies

G.K. you should be embarrassed for posting a link to that article, written by a die hard Arsenal fan by the looks of things.

Adel Taraabt - not good enough for Spurs, had a disappointing season with QPR.
    Jamie O’Hara - not good enough for Spurs, was given plenty of opportunities.
    Iago Falque - has been shipped out on loan all career, only cemented a place at Villarea; B.
    Steven Pienaar - like O' Hara he just wasn't good enough for Spurs, was given ample opportunity, like in the CL iirc, but never replicated the form he showed and continues to show with Everton.
    Giovani dos Santos - has been given opportunities in the past but never seized them, although admittedly he hasn't been given much game time in the last year.
    Niko Kranjcar - his form has dipped but he has played plenty for us.
    David Bentley - a twat, our most expensive mistake.
    Kevin Prince-Boateng - wasn't good enough at the time for our first team so left for Portsmouth, he still isn't good enough for our first team but he would certainly be a valuable addition to our squad.
    John Bostock - didn't do much at Swindon in League 2 this season, hardly good enough for Tottenham. He's still young though.

Won't even bother addressing the rest of it, written by a child by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

THFC wrote: »
    G.K. you should be embarrassed for posting a link to that article, written by a die hard Arsenal fan by the looks of things.

Adel Taraabt - not good enough for Spurs, had a disappointing season with QPR.
    Jamie O’Hara - not good enough for Spurs, was given plenty of opportunities.
    Iago Falque - has been shipped out on loan all career, only cemented a place at Villarea; B.
    Steven Pienaar - like O' Hara he just wasn't good enough for Spurs, was given ample opportunity, like in the CL iirc, but never replicated the form he showed and continues to show with Everton.
    Giovani dos Santos - has been given opportunities in the past but never seized them, although admittedly he hasn't been given much game time in the last year.
    Niko Kranjcar - his form has dipped but he has played plenty for us.
    David Bentley - a twat, our most expensive mistake.
    Kevin Prince-Boateng - wasn't good enough at the time for our first team so left for Portsmouth, he still isn't good enough for our first team but he would certainly be a valuable addition to our squad.
    John Bostock - didn't do much at Swindon in League 2 this season, hardly good enough for Tottenham. He's still young though.

Won't even bother addressing the rest of it, written by a child by the looks of it.

Well said, I almost completely agree.

I think Pienaar wasn't given enough of a chance though.

KPB clearly had the talent but his attitude and work rate weren't up to scratch so we rightly got rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Over rated, was here before Harry took over, seen him play on loan at Ipswich, had one good game. Suits Spain, slow pace to the game and plenty of space.

Scored against Brazil tonight in a friendly and won a penalty. Second half getting under way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

THFC wrote: »
    Scored against Brazil tonight in a friendly and won a penalty. Second half getting under way.

Taken off after 55mins.
    his goal was something special......:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

It was. And against Brazil too.

... best we can hope for is he goes on loan to another PL team and does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I think himself & Swansea would be a perfect loan for all involved..
    be great to see him shining week in-week out if he gets enough gametime....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

oops, I seemed to have linked to the wrong article. searched Tottenham and Giovani and presumeably copied the wrong link. I'll have to find the right one - it was just about Gio.

I agree that that article I posted was pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The goal looked like a cross he got lucky with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Thats a chip to the back post that got lucky if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    That was meant to be a cross I'd say.he looked surprised himself when it went in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Good finish but simply not good enough for PL - too lightweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

galinka wrote: »
    Good finish but simply not good enough for PL - too lightweight.

Don't think it's a case of that to be honest, sure look at Lennon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

2 goals today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hatch99 wrote: »
    2 goals today :cool:

The more he does in the Olymplic's the better it is for us, at least that way there'll be more interest in him and I better chance of us getting a few quid for him...

You'd have to wonder (after reading Kranjaer's recent comments) just how much Levy is demanding for fringe players like Gio..

I'd take £3-5m for him with some decent sell-on clauses just in case he does turn out to be the player we all hoped he might be one day.

Advertisement