Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing moss growing on porch roof tiles??

• 01-06-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a liquid or some stuff that can be applied to tiles on the roof of a porch? My neighbours tiles always seem fine while mine constantly continue to build up with moss if I dont remove it once a year. It faces North east which doesent help either I guess, being damp most of the year round.
    Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Does anyone know of a liquid or some stuff that can be applied to tiles on the roof of a porch? My neighbours tiles always seem fine while mine constantly continue to build up with moss if I dont remove it once a year. It faces North east which doesent help either I guess, being damp most of the year round.
    Thanks

Rich

I have heard of people using copper flashing on the ridge to prevent moss . What ever is in the copper washes down the roof, killing moss.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

i am also interested in this as i have a huge amount of moss on my roof tiles. it falls into the gutters and blocks them. It also falls onto the tarmac where it is subsequently squelched by my 2 yr old! I want to start with how to kill the existing moss at the moment? or do I have to use the old fashioned scraper? Its a big roof and in an around the ridge tiles would be most difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Eamon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

eamon11 wrote: »
    i am also interested in this as i have a huge amount of moss on my roof tiles. it falls into the gutters and blocks them. It also falls onto the tarmac where it is subsequently squelched by my 2 yr old! I want to start with how to kill the existing moss at the moment? or do I have to use the old fashioned scraper? Its a big roof and in an around the ridge tiles would be most difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Eamon.

i have used a pressure washer to get rid of moss
    it also brings the roof tiles up like new
    careful in that roof though
    i bought an 2 extension hoses for my karcher washer for €20 in lidl a while back(best ever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I have heard of people using copper flashing on the ridge to prevent moss . What ever is in the copper washes down the roof, killing moss.

I've heard of this too but it's a slow process. I haven't died it so can't verify whether or not it works. It may take a couple of years depending on the amount to be killed/removed. Remember also that the copper will soon turn green.

is it not better to spray/kill the moss first? Or does it make no difference. Also iv heard that the waterproof exterior surface is not too deep on tiles and you have to cafreful with the power washer? my roof is so old I wouldnt like to risk the washer, especially round the ridge tiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

eamon11 wrote: »
    is it not better to spray/kill the moss first? Or does it make no difference. Also iv heard that the waterproof exterior surface is not too deep on tiles and you have to cafreful with the power washer? my roof is so old I wouldnt like to risk the washer, especially round the ridge tiles

news to me
    around the ridge tiles i would be careful not to disturb the mortar alright
    although the moss tends not to form on the top

is it not better to spray/kill the moss first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kopite23

using copper to prevent moss growth has its flaws too.
    The roof material needs to be completely flat with no channels in order for the oxidized water to affect all areas.
    But never pressure wash your roof!!
    A professional roof cleaner would not bring a pressure washer anywhere near a roof surface.

Advertisement