Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winkles. Where to get some?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I would get my hands on some winkles?

Doesn't have to be city centre specificly as I'm willing to travel almost anywhere to get my hands on some. I have tried two seperate fish mongers and they had none and one of them even asked me what winkles where! :eek:

Any help?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

your best bet would be wrights in marino or get the dart out to howth, the mongers along the pier should have them

Danye wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I would get my hands on some winkles?

Doesn't have to be city centre specificly as I'm willing to travel almost anywhere to get my hands on some. I have tried two seperate fish mongers and they had none and one of them even asked me what winkles where!

Do you mean periwinkles? If so, you'd have a better chance if you called them that. Howth pier really does have a great selection of seafood.

To be honest "do you know where I could get my hands on some winkles?" sounds a bit dirty to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

They still pick them on the rocks near me and they call them winkles. Best place are the rocks near Rush Harbour if you fancy exercise and free winkles. If you going to Howth to the fish mongers, best to avoid the top two nearest the town, I find the further you walk down the pier the cheaper the fishmongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

your best bet would be wrights in marino or get the dart out to howth, the mongers along the pier should have them

Thanks. Is there a better time to go out to the mongers? Probably early morning I would imagine?
    Do you mean periwinkles? If so, you'd have a better chance if you called them that. Howth pier really does have a great selection of seafood.

To be honest "do you know where I could get my hands on some winkles?" sounds a bit dirty to me!

Well I call them winkles as do a lot of people I know. By calling them winkles on here I'm after finding out where to get some so I think I'll stick to calling them winkles. :) Thanks for your unhelpful smart comments and unwanted opinion though :)
    They still pick them on the rocks near me and they call them winkles. Best place are the rocks near Rush Harbour if you fancy exercise and free winkles. If you going to Howth to the fish mongers, best to avoid the top two nearest the town, I find the further you walk down the pier the cheaper the fishmongers.

Yea I know you can pick them but I have heard you have to be experienced to pick them as some of them can be quite bad for you and give you an upset stomach. Don't know how accurate that is but that's why I would be cautious of picking them myself.

Thanks for your help though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Danye wrote: »

Yea I know you can pick them but I have heard you have to be experienced to pick them as some of them can be quite bad for you and give you an upset stomach. Don't know how accurate that is but that's why I would be cautious of picking them myself.

Haven't picked them in years but Rush was where we used to get them. Not aware of any way to tell good from bad except to be careful not to pick small whelks. We never suffered any upset stomachs from them.

If you do collect them yourself- cook them asap, we didn't one year and left the lid off the pot- when we came home a lot of them had crawled out of the pot and up the wall of the kitchen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Haven't picked them in years but Rush was where we used to get them. Not aware of any way to tell good from bad except to be careful not to pick small whelks. We never suffered any upset stomachs from them.

If you do collect them yourself- cook them asap, we didn't one year and left the lid off the pot- when we came home a lot of them had crawled out of the pot and up the wall of the kitchen :)

Thanks for the info. :) And I'll keep that tip in mind. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The rocks north of Skerries harbour heading towards Balbriggan are also good for winkles.

Advertisement