Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DOE

Options
  • 01-06-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Can someone please clarify something for me. I know if a car is registered before 1.1.1980 then it doesn't need an NCT. My question is does the same rule apply for a commercial vehicle? I was thinking of getting a Land Rover and most are commercial.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

rsole1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Can someone please clarify something for me. I know if a car is registered before 1.1.1980 then it doesn't need an NCT. My question is does the same rule apply for a commercial vehicle? I was thinking of getting a Land Rover and most are commercial.

Thanks in advance
    As far as I know the DOE is still running on the 30 year exemption rule.

From www.wexford.ie/VehicleTesting (bottom of page)
    wexford.ie wrote:
    Vehicles Exempt from Vehicle Testing

ONLY Vintage/Veteran Vehicles (over 30 years old), Tractors, Diggers and Forklifts etc. and Commercially Taxed Mobile Machines are Exempt from Vehicle Testing. All other vehicles must be tested under the relevant regime

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corollagalway

Hi guys, I own a 1991 toyota corolla 1.8 diesel car/van.(small van) Its got a very good engine and it has never and will never let me down. It starts first go every time. The only problem is that it would cost a lot of money to do it up for the doe. I see the exact same vans on donedeal and some of the ads say "private tax so doe exempt". I dont mind paying extra at all for the private tax instead of commercial. If I pay the private tax, do I have to get the corolla doe`d at all? All I want is to do drive my old corolla,(which is reliable as any car on the road), legally on the road. I don`t want it to be the end of my old little van. If someone could help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

ALL commercial vehicles over 1 YEAR old must have a D.O.E. certificate of road worthiness. This includes VINTAGE vehicles of any age. This is yet another E.U. Regulation, probably thought up by someone who rides a bike around Brussels.

I had a van cleared recently, and my understanding was that if I wanted to tax it commercially, it must have a D.O.T. certificate, which is what I did. I was given to understand by my garagemaan, that if I taxed it private, it did not need a N.C.T. as they have NOT got the facilities to do this test. I am going to the Limerick test centre later to-day, and I will enquire if this is correct, IF I think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

mattroche wrote: »
    I had a van cleared recently, and my understanding was that if I wanted to tax it commercially, it must have a D.O.T. certificate, which is what I did. I was given to understand by my garagemaan, that if I taxed it private, it did not need a N.C.T. as they have NOT got the facilities to do this test. I am going to the Limerick test centre later to-day, and I will enquire if this is correct, IF I think of it!

I have an 08 Peugeot Partner due its DOE. So if I change it to private use and pay the road tax at €488 it won't need an NCT or DOE ? Sounds too good to be true. Mind you the road tax for commercial is €310, so it would cost me another €178.

• Advertisement

I have made a few phone calls, and can now clarify the private van situtation. ALL vans, both private and commercial, must be tested at the D.O.E. test centre, as the N.C.T. test centres do not have facilities to test vans. The information which I gave on an earlier message, is NOT correct, as I said at the time, my garageman gave the that information. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I have made a few phone calls, and can now clarify the private van situtation. ALL vans, both private and commercial, must be tested at the D.O.E. test centre, as the N.C.T. test centres do not have facilities to test vans. The information which I gave on an earlier message, is NOT correct, as I said at the time, my garageman gave the that information. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's only been in the last 18 months or so that DOE centres have been instructed to test privately registered vans, you don't need to produce a weight docket though. This has effectively removed the loophole where you couldn't actually get a test on a privately registered van although I don't think it's technically been closed in law.

Vintage commercials must be tested but I don't know that many Land Rovers do, my 101 is classed as M1 passenger despite looking like a truck so isn't tested (I'm sure it would pass, always did with MOTs back in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Having lived in UK for many years, the MOT is a reasonably sensible test, based on safety and carried out by local approved gareges, while the NCT is....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

My understanding is that a 30 year old commercial vehicle is taxed as a vintage vehicle then that vehicle must then function as a vintage vehicle and only as a vintage vehicle i.e. going to shows and looking pretty:)
    So a truck could not be used to carry loads or a camper van could not be used for living accomadation and so on.
    It would follow on then that there would be no need for a DOE as the vehicle is in both theory and practice a vintage vehicle and not a commercial vehicle.
    The rest of the vehicle tax system in Ireland works on the function and not the form of a vehicle, so it would fit in with that thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

ALL commercial vehicles over 1 YEAR old must have a D.O.E. certificate of road worthiness. This includes VINTAGE vehicles of any age. This is yet another E.U. Regulation, probably thought up by someone who rides a bike around Brussels.

would you be happy to be hit by a truck with defective brakes because some car enthuasist in Brussels decided to scrap testing on vehicles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It is my understanding that Camper Vans also require a DOE test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I did a bit of research on this.

It looks like vintage goods vehicles do need a DOE.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/06/12/00479.asp

Written Answers - National Car Test

Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Dáil Éireann Debate
    Vol. 768 No. 1
    Unrevised
    Page of 491

627. Deputy Heather Humphreys

asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the position regarding the National Car Test of vintage lorries; if vintage cars and tractors are subject to an NCT; the reasons these vehicles are subject to an NCT in view of the fact that they are generally used at charity events and for recreational use; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [27848/12]

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport (Deputy Leo Varadkar): Under the Road Safety Authority Act 2006 (Conferral of Functions) Order 2006 (S.I. No. 477 of 2006) the Road Safety Authority has responsibility for the delivery of the National Car Test. The RSA has overall responsibility for the operation, oversight, development, quality assurance and delivery of vehicle testing arrangements. The testing function is carried out by Applus+, since January 2010, under a contractual arrangement with the RSA.

Vehicles registered prior to 1 January 1980 remain exempt from NCT testing. There are no plans at present to apply the NCT to vintage cars registered prior to 1980. Any changes would be the subject of a public consultation process conducted by the RSA and any recommendation would be submitted to me for approval.

In accordance with the European Communities (Vehicle Testing) Regulations 2004 (SI 771 of 2004), all commercial vehicles over one year old (including vintage lorries) must complete a roadworthiness test and have a valid Certificate of Roadworthiness if used in a public place. There is no exemption for older vehicles but these vehicles are tested to the standards that the vehicles concerned were originally designed to meet. This is to ensure that all commercial vehicles, regardless of age are maintained to a minimum standard of roadworthiness.

Currently there is no requirement for the roadworthiness testing of tractors used in a public place.

From SI771 mentioned...
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/si/0771.html

3. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), these Regulations apply to—
    (a) vehicles used for the carriage of passengers with more than 8 seats, excluding the driver's seat.

(b) goods vehicles,
    (c) goods trailers, and
    (d) ambulances.

(2) These Regulations do not apply to vehicles which are used by the Defence Forces or the Garda Síochána.

There are no exemptions mentioned, so I dont know where the county councils like Wexford are getting there information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

So a pre 1980 ambulance is also subject to DOE?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chimpdoctor

Do pre 1980 light commercial vehicles need a doe? Thanks

Advertisement