Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting IP Phones

Options
  • 01-06-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi people !

I'm connecting a Panasonic KX-TGP500 (this one here) to my network. I have an Eircom broadband router at the front of the house and want the phone to be located in the office at the back of my shed at the back of the garden approx. 40 - 45m away. To get internet to my office, I have a powerline system that I just installed (this one here) and it's working very well.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way I can connect the phone in the office ? Could I run the network cable from the powerline connector to a second router in the office and go off from this with 2 cables, 1 for the pc and 1 for the phone. If it would work, would I be reducing call quality going through the extra hardware ?

Thanks,

Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Hi people !

I'm connecting a Panasonic KX-TGP500 (this one here) to my network. I have an Eircom broadband router at the front of the house and want the phone to be located in the office at the back of my shed at the back of the garden approx. 40 - 45m away. To get internet to my office, I have a powerline system that I just installed (this one here) and it's working very well.

So, I'm wondering if there's a way I can connect the phone in the office ? Could I run the network cable from the powerline connector to a second router in the office and go off from this with 2 cables, 1 for the pc and 1 for the phone. If it would work, would I be reducing call quality going through the extra hardware ?

Thanks,

Richie.
    You need a simple switch, cost about tenner and any PC shop should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Hi Lar,

Thanks for the reply. Something like this ?

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Hi Lar,

Thanks for the reply. Something like this ?

Richie.
    That would work fine, this would be cheaper and do the same job. You would find one cheaper again on adverts. The one you have linked does feature QOS that could be handy for VoIP but that might need a bit of know-how to configure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

That would work fine, this would be cheaper and do the same job. You would find one cheaper again on adverts. The one you have linked does feature QOS that could be handy for VoIP but that might need a bit of know-how to configure.

Router probably has QOS so he most likely would not need it for the switch, shop around you will get one for small bobs.

£11.00 here @ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-100-5-Port-Network-Switch/dp/B0000YQ1CW/ref=sr_1_33?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338669742&sr=1-33

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Hi lads,

I ended up buying the Netgear switch. I know, I know... the cheaper one would probably have done fine :D I actually can't remember why I decided in the end but there you go !

I got a Panasonic cordless phone when I signed up with Blueface and hooked it all up today. So I now have powerline adapters going to the office in the shed, into the switch and connecting up my phone and internet and all working perfectly. All I had to do with the phone was plug it in and it was working, not sure how that happens. I thought I'd have 15mins of configuring so happy days there. Made a couple of calls on it and was told I sounded perfectly clear so a good result.

Richie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement