Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard

Options
  • 01-06-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I currently have a really horrible motherboard that I cant OC my CPU on or install more than 4GB RAM onto so I want to upgrade it, atm my set up is:

Nvidia GTS 450 (This will be upgraded after the mobo)
    AMD Phenom x4 955 BE
    Corsair 500W Builder Series PSU
    4 GB RAM (1333)
    500 GB HDD

I cant remember 100% what mobo it is I have, its an Asus board worth 50 euro ish.

Cheers for any input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Suppose I should have added I intend to use it mostly for gaming/some video editing

Budget of around 70-100 euro if its possible if not I will up it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I'm using this board at the moment in my brother's build. I've only had it a day but it feels reliable, has SATA3, USB 3.0 and the chance to unlock 960t's on it are ridiculously good. It's also a good overclocker.

If you want crossfire in the future, you could go with this one. They run in PCIe 2.0 x8 so higher end cards (7970, gtx 680) may suffer a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Cheers for the reply man, will need to give it a bit of througt, I do plan a graphics card update shortly after the motherboard but not sure if I would go down the lines of crossfire (dunno how good it would be using two gts 450)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I hadn't seen a recent article on the topic of bandwidth so I searched around and found a good one by techpowerup. I'll post it in the hardware discussion thread too.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

At x8 (PCI-E 2) bandwidth, there's actually still very little difference for a 680 and 7950. With the x4, there's some noticeable loss though.

Advertisement