Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Holiday Weekend Heavy Rain Warning.(Spot/Local Flooding Likely)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Horrible wet windy morning here - and looking at this mornings models it looks like a wet first half to June as the AH does its usual disappearing act at this time of year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

dfbemt wrote: »
    . Didn't it get dark very early last night in comparison to say 1 week ago when it was still bright at 22.30?

Yes, noticed that too. Whatever moon was on this week, one night was eerily bright at 10.40, a mixture of dusk and moonlight behind cloud I guess... but last night was like an autumn night, no light getting through this cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

redsunset wrote: »
    Yes Monday will be best day, enjoy Mondello and Admiral,enjoy the big day, Arklow should be dry

thanks a million, thats the icing on the cake:)

edit: the rain is starting to ease off here in arklow, still very dull and quite windy. feeling cold. the back garden is flooded! meeting people as they arrive for tomorrow at about 4 pm today so hopefully its completely gone by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Wow Min, that's interesting, I'm just below Clonmel, and there has been no dry spell since yesterday, when it doesn't bucket down, it spits a good old spit.

The rain annoys me during the day, but boy was it brilliant last night... :pac:

I am not surprised, you back up what the radar has been showing, just lucky here the rain wasn't 20 miles further east or 20 to 30 miles further south.

We had no heavy rain as the heaviest was just 4.2mm/hour.

ok time for that to change as that rain has to move back over us before it clears...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yes, noticed that too. Whatever moon was on this week, one night was eerily bright at 10.40, a mixture of dusk and moonlight behind cloud I guess... but last night was like an autumn night, no light getting through this cloud.

It was still bright here last night at that time, most be down to be all the cloud and rain yous had.

Not a drop of rain here it seems, bone dry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pangea wrote: »
    It was still bright here last night at that time, most be down to be all the cloud and rain yous had.

Not a drop of rain here it seems, bone dry :D

yeah we kinda noticed that alright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    yeah we kinda noticed that alright. :rolleyes:

good for you. just giving my update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pangea wrote: »
    good for you. just giving my update.

don't mind me, just jealous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

29.4mm recorded since the start of this event. Currently Light rain with a temp of 10.9c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Event rainfall total has reached 60.0mm now. Just light rain and drizzle now but front looks like it's on the way back albeit weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

Looks great for the mini marathon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Horrible wet windy morning here - and looking at this mornings models it looks like a wet first half to June as the AH does its usual disappearing act at this time of year:(
    Exactly, it's very hard to take! The present synoptics could easily have given us a 1982 type blizzard if it was mid winter (big IF of course)
    Only 10c at the moment and 35mm in the gauge with a few more mms to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bucketing down again in arklow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not raining here but it looks like it is.

Edit: Some 24hr totals up to 1pm today (from Ogimet which has an incomplete data set at this point)

Roches Point - 48.8 mm
    Shannon Airport - 46.0 mm
    Casement Aerodrome - 37.5 mm
    Gurteen - 37.0 mm
    Mace Head - 26.6 mm
    Cork Airport - 25.2 mm
    Johnstown Castle - 24.9 mm

Data for Oak Park, Mullingar and Ballyhaise not available on the reports.

Other station data here: http://tiny.cc/5zxbfw

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

just stopped here Glen of Aherlow, 68mm since 2pm yesterday when it started to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just started to dry out in the last hour in the Limerick area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

59.6mm in Clonmel since yesterday evening.

The river has risen a lot but I wouldn't think flooding is a danger to it's previously low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dfbemt wrote: »
    Damn it. When I said a good soaking I didn't want this much. I think my fertiliser has been washed away :eek:

Hasn't stopped since mid afternoon yesterday and is bucketing down this morning (sorry I have no more scientific measure than that !!)

Feels late Autumnal with the wind and rain. Didn't it get dark very early last night in comparison to say 1 week ago when it was still bright at 22.30?

Awww...

Got soaked at market but it was at night the real deluge started so at least safe indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

16mm in total for north east Kilkenny, about 6 miles NE of the city.

Which was enough as we got 13mm over two days late last week - 30th/31st May.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not raining here but it looks like it is.

Edit: Some 24hr totals up to 1pm today (from Ogimet which has an incomplete data set at this point)

Roches Point - 48.8 mm
    Shannon Airport - 46.0 mm
    Casement Aerodrome - 37.5 mm
    Gurteen - 37.0 mm
    Mace Head - 26.6 mm
    Cork Airport - 25.2 mm
    Johnstown Castle - 24.9 mm

Data for Oak Park, Mullingar and Ballyhaise not available on the reports.

Other station data here: http://tiny.cc/5zxbfw
    23mm at Dublin A. and 37mm at Casement, 37mm in my gauge and I'm quite near the Airport. Odd? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

23mm at Dublin A. and 37mm at Casement, 37mm in my gauge and I'm quite near the Airport. Odd? :confused:

I got 26.0 mm here in Celbridge and Dun Laoghaire harbour received 30 mm, so with your 37 mm there was a wide variation within short distances, as we said there might be. The key time was from 1-7 am, when Casement received 31 mm versus 20 mm for Dublin Airport. The radar does show a probable orographically enhanced linear echo feature around southern Dublin, with intensity falling off sharply further north, so a mile or two would make a big difference. It will be interesting to see tomorrow how much fell at Dunsany and the Pheonix Park for this period.

Radar for 2 am.

207520.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Fooks sake, Dublin didn't even break the 10 degree mark today, with both Casement and Dublin Airport only registering 9.9 °C! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

High here today of 9.6c. Total 'event' rainfall of 60.6mm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just come off marshaling a 3 day bike race,roasted, burnt, cooked (bit cooler today and cloudy but dry) great weekend ! (apologies to everyone else)

max 19.1 at 13.20 today

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

My station recorded 75mm in the last 24 hours and hit that figure just as the rain stopped.Looking at readings coming in from other parts of the east coast,I thought this can't be right and then I found a basin that had been left out in the garden and sure enough it had exactly 3 inches of water in it.My location is just north of the Dublin mountains,which must have had some affect on the rainfall

The difference a year makes alright. This day last year (3rd June) was the warmest day of 2011 in many areas with Oak Park recording 25.4c and between 20c - 24c at most other inland stations.

http://tinyurl.com/873pfpr

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Heating went back on this morning, was pretty cold, its January temperatures in June!
    Had hoped the heating would be off until October :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The difference a year makes alright. This day last year (3rd June) was the warmest day of 2011 in many areas with Oak Park recording 25.4c and between 20c - 24c at most other inland stations.

http://tinyurl.com/873pfpr
    Good call on the thread DE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

dub56 wrote: »
    My station recorded 75mm in the last 24 hours and hit that figure just as the rain stopped.Looking at readings coming in from other parts of the east coast,I thought this can't be right and then I found a basin that had been left out in the garden and sure enough it had exactly 3 inches of water in it.My location is just north of the Dublin mountains,which must have had some affect on the rainfall

85.3mm at my station on the lower slope of the Wicklow Uplands in Ashford, I often get more rain than nearby stations very much to do with location

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »
    Good call on the thread DE :)

Thanks Delw :) although it was called well beforehand by MT, met.ie and a good few others here on the forum. I just opened the thread to focus attention on it and for others to discuss any possible outcomes. I think synoptically, it was a very unusual set up. Normally we have cool ridge followed by warm front which in turn is followed by cold polars! In this case we had a warm humid sector being confronted by two differing polar air masses from two completely different directions (SW & N/NE).

I think overall, most of the model outputs did a good job of getting the specifics right on this particular event as did calls from others mentioned above. :)

Advertisement