Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the whole World inbred ?

• 01-06-2012 4:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

If we all came from a small group of people who made it off Africa "back in the day"

gonna say it was 80 people as I saw a doc a while ago and think this was the number ( although how the F**K would they really know ye ? )

so if we're all descended from 80 people is the whole world inbred then ??

Just looking to my left and to my right at people in work I would have to say.

Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

nah we're made from ribs , damn sexy bbq ribs i'd like to think but that bit was never clarified :/ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Apparently every person on the world is related - we all evolved from the same ancestor
    I will find some concrete proof of this though, never fear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

nah we're made from ribs , damn sexy bbq ribs i'd like to think but that bit was never clarified :/ ?

¿Que

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Adam and Eve have belly buttons!...go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

¿Que

bible story where your man pulled a rib out of adam and made eve ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    is the whole world inbred then ?
    Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?

To be fair, the world is not Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Ah right.. I thought you were just on acid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gonna say it was 80 people as I saw a doc a while ago and think this was the number
    More like 50,000. 80 of just about any animal isn't enough to support a species. I think we went as low as around 50,000 at one stage and that was a near extinction event for our species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Got the hots for your cousin OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If we all came from a small group of people who made it off Africa "back in the day"
    gonna say it was 80 people as I saw a doc a while ago and think this was the number ( although how the F**K would they really know ye ? )
    Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?
    Aye...

Where did those 80 people descend from!

Space! :eek:

Transporters at the ready Mr Spock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No, because of the aliens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The Mud people are already here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

It wasn't quite 80 people OP, according to Wikipedia it was possibly 1,000 breeding pairs at its lowest. I imagine they work it out by examing the distribution of DNA around the world - DNA that's present all around the world would be indicative of it being present at the population bottleneck, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

We're well watered down at this stage, except for small island countries with small populations where people for generations usually married someone fairly local....can't think of any such place off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Is the whole World inbred ?

Of course it is, look at the state its in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Is it cos I is black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

even at the beginning women were taking from us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We are descended from cats who were in bread.

See picture for proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not me, I can't play the banjo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

No, because of the aliens.
    Aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

ScumLord wrote: »
    More like 50,000. 80 of just about any animal isn't enough to support a species. I think we went as low as around 50,000 at one stage and that was a near extinction event for our species.

Au contraire!

http://io9.com/5897169/dna-reveals-that-cows-were-almost-impossible-to-domesticate
    They discovered that the differences between these ancient DNA sequences and those of modern cattle were so minute that the only way to explain them would be if the original cattle population was extremely small, with about 80 cattle the most likely number. As the researchers explain in Molecular Biology and Evolution, since the domestication process was spread out over a thousand or so years, that's the equivalent of only adding two new cattle each generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We came from chimpanzees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

We came from chimpanzees.
    Nein. Both humans and chimps are believed to have evolved from a common ancestor, the "missing link" you've probably heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Nein. Both humans and chimps are believed to have evolved from a common ancestor, the "missing link" you've probably heard of.

Nope. We definitely came from chimpanzees - we branched off about 6000 years ago.

A guy in the pub told me.

Look how similar we are to these monkeys.

Race horses would be the same too, they came from a very small number of animals. Neither of those animals would probably do to well if they where let go wild again though. I know there are wild horses in America that came from domestics but they're probably a different kettle of fish compared to thoroughbreds. I'd make the same assumption about cattle, don't know they'd do to well left to their own devices, some can't even breed naturally and require AI to keep the breed going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

We are all descended from Xenu, who arrived a gazillion years ago in a mothership and jizzed all over the planet, we are his "seed".

Something like that anyway. HAIL XENU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Im so inbred I would ride meself sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

The landmass was actually called Geneva. Bits of it broke off and formed the continents we have today, if I remember it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

like Brennans?

• Advertisement

a fat guy wrote: »
    The landmass was actually called Geneva. Bits of it broke off and formed the continents we have today, if I remember it correctly.
    Pangaea I Think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea. Geneva is a city in Switzerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Pangaea I Think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea. Geneva is a city in Switzerland.

That's the one, thanks.

Where the hell did I get Geneva from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Pretty much I would say....... I had sex wit a cousin once.....no harm in it....

..........and the call me Michael Dazzler.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

We're well watered down at this stage, except for small island countries with small populations where people for generations usually married someone fairly local....can't think of any such place off the top of my head though.

Iceland
    Nope. We definitely came from chimpanzees - we branched off about 6000 years ago.

A guy in the pub told me.

he might want to add some extra digits to that. the city of jericho is one of the oldest in the world and that was founded about 11000 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Moate .. the gene pool there is pretty shallow there at the best of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

pitcairn island

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We're all related, but we're not that related for it to be an issue. Non African peoples have between 1-5% Neandertal DNA, East Asian populations have even higher levels of DNA from another earlier human in the area. On a yearly basis we're discovering more and more of this kinda thing. The pure out of Africa model was needlessly simplistic and not a little daft.

PS I knew a chap involved with genetic research in Ireland back in the late 90's and he told me of a few small towns in Ireland(no names) where genetic diversity was scarily low.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It wasn't quite 80 people OP, according to Wikipedia it was possibly 1,000 breeding pairs at its lowest.
    Bet there's an epic story behind that somewhere. My bet is on mutant human hairy spider overlords. That's why so many instinctively hate big hairy spiders. Either that or mice and we're getting our own back by doing all those experiments on them. Or its the long term plan of the mice to become invincible and immortal via these experiments and hence gain the upper hand once again...

Even in severely inbred populations much if not all of the serious genetic defects get bred out within a few generations. This has been observed in small island populations. Fewer than a hundred could be a perfectly viable breeding stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye...

Where did those 80 people descend from!

Space! :eek:

Transporters at the ready Mr Spock!
    Psh. I'm from a long proud lines of Adama's.

a fat guy wrote: »
    That's the one, thanks.

Where the hell did I get Geneva from?

Its a city in Sqitzerland. you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?

If you can look to your left and your right at the same time then the odds are good that you are the one who is inbred.

• Advertisement

Well. this is a silly thread, isn't it. Its at times like this my mind begins to wander, and I think about things....

Like, for instance, at the moment I am thinking whether that was really the best strategy for Wonka to find a new CEO..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?

Only Dublin south central ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

¿Que

Was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

we didn't just magically appear in a number as high as 50,000 though

there would've been a first common ancestor of everyone

Inbred with what though?
    That's the real question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

some threads are just best left at page 231, this is one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only the banjo players are inbred, the rest of us have been genetically modified to have proper chins.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Yes Tom, yes we are.

thoughts ?

Nah, just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Here's the real answer, also explains why you can't remember stuff very well after 5 years, it's because your brain has been replaced :

I did have another thread on this but was closed by a trigger happy mod
    anyway here's the link to the proof that the world is committing incest and that you are all inbred. ( inlc me I suppose )

• Advertisement
Advertisement