Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bait for Roach fishing on the Canal?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello, I'm heading out to liexlip (Or Leixlip, I don't know how to pronounce it) Tomorrow on the canal and I always choose maggots, I've only gone out a couple of times, I'm new to canal and coarse fishing you see. But Anyway over the 2 times I've went out I've only caught 3 small roach. That's good enough for me but what other baits could I use to catch a few MORE roach? Would casters work at this time of year and on a canal? What about sweetcorn? Also, Anyone know of a good tackle shop around there that sells coarse fishing baits and floats, weights and line etc... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CoarseForTench

Also, If somebody could post soon since I'm going out tomorrow or Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

well mate I find mags are usually the best for me, casters are awesome aswel but you have to hook them right. You can try sweetcorn, I find lidl sweetcorn to be the best that works as it seems tougher then other brands. You can try breadpunch for roach too. Or try some worms for perch. Other baits worth a try for roach but ive never used them is hemp or tares on the hook and bloodworm. Hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I don't think anything will outfish maggots on a canal to be honest. I'd say your best plan is to get them on the feed rather than changing baits. Keep feeding them a few free offerings and you'll catch. Or if the water is clear go for a wander with poleroids and try to find yourself a shoal to target.

well mate I find mags are usually the best for me, casters are awesome aswel but you have to hook them right. You can try sweetcorn, I find lidl sweetcorn to be the best that works as it seems tougher then other brands. You can try breadpunch for roach too. Or try some worms for perch. Other baits worth a try for roach but ive never used them is hemp or tares on the hook and bloodworm. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks man :) just one question, what is a 'mag' if you don't mind.

EDIT:
    Sorry I can't believe I didn't realise a mag as a maggot. Sorry

What would be a good tackle shop around near that part of Dublin? That does coarse baits, ground baits, hook lengths, weights, floats etc?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

was on the canal today for 5 hours and last wednesday for a couple of hours in the evening. between lexlip confey to the bridge near westmanstown(where you can park up on the small gravel layby) didnt catch anything, used maggot and sweet corn between the two days. water is very clear, only tiny tiny fish swimming about not nearly big enough to bite a hook.

nothing moved during the day time, got a bit more active after 5pm, cought nothing on either occasion though. alot of dead fish floating around and on the bank between the marker 69 and 59 i think it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I would also stick with maggots and casters. Pat clintons tackle shop is close by - just off the N4 near woodies.

jodie85 wrote: »
    If your fishing for roach I should use a 1lb trout as deadbait, using at least 50lb braid!

Hilarious...

tin79 wrote: »
    I would also stick with maggots and casters. Pat clintons tackle shop is close by - just off the N4 near woodies.

Thanks man, your always a great help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Spoke to a good few anglers on the Grand canal over the last week. Water temp increase seems to be producing better results, seen a nice few Tench being caught too.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Spoke to a good few anglers on the Grand canal over the last week. Water temp increase seems to be producing better results, seen a nice few Tench being caught too.

Thanks

Advertisement