Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parvo, question.

• 01-06-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just found out that my neighbours dog, he's about 6 months, has Parvo. Poor wee thing is up in the vets now on a drip. Here's hoping that he will be ok. :(
    What I was wondering was if there is a chance that my dog could catch it. They play together quite a bit and there is a place that alot of the dogs in the area go toilet. We always clean up but know that Parvo is highly contagious and can live in the soil for a year. Also, that the dog that has it can be contagious for up to three weeks after. Hershey is five months and has his vaccinations. I would hate him to catch anything like that.
    Anyone that would be able to advise on this, would love your advice. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

If your dog is fully vaccinated it is unlikely he will develop clinical symptoms of parvo. fingers crossed for that poor dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

It is possible to pick it up from that though - my own fella caught parvo when he was 8 years old, despite being fully vacc'd and always walked on a leash / only let outdoors in our garden.

The vet said he reckoned it came from him sniffing other dogs' urine on walls when out on walks .. thankfully he survived and came home after five or so days intensive care in the vets!!! :o

Can't say I know anything about parvo for when your neighbours dog recovers but obviously goes without saying I think for Harvey to not be near him while he has it - its a tough one for pups to fight off! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

If I were you I'd work closely with your neighbor disinfecting both houses and gardens, from the floor / ground all the way up to head height. I had two dogs that died from the virus and it's absolutely horrific. Not work the chance in my book, even if it's only a 1% chance, that's 1% too many.

Your vet will be able to help you both along, last thing you would want is to get the poor fella home and he relapses from his own house.

Pinkdaisy is right, if your pooch is fully vaccinated, then if he does catch it, he has a very good chance of pulling through, or not contracting it at all. But don't take risks, it's just not worth it.

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O the poor little puppy ; I hope s/he makes it . Parvo is a terrible thing. Did the pup that caught it have all it's injections? If so : how did it manage to catch it? & if the little thing pulls through can the vet advise in how best to avoid it catching it again? ..as well as cleaning techniques? Might be a good line to follow with your poor neighbour to avoid having to seperate & avoid the dog for the rest of it's life!!!

From what I real here a while back on the forum there were some very radical ideas on how to clean which included scrubbing everything grass up with jayes fluid. I would ask your vet & get your neighbour to check with their vet too ... See what they both come up with.

Mine had parvo ( terrible "disease") & eventually survived ( heartbreaking time) & I never scrubbed grass or disinfected outside after ; I was very worried about this but the vets I spoke with both said that once the dog had been vacinated again correctly ( long story) & if it survived it would NOT contact parvo again.
    I couldn't figure the logic because innmy mind the parvo would be all over the house as well as the garden because that was where the dog spent most of it's time & so in my head the house etc would be full of parvovirus too even if that was not where she contacted it...anyway. If it helps. I only did normal detol for floors in hot water to clean up ( as usual).
    after a LONG time the dog finally recovered; had the vacs again & lived happily ever so far after : )

I hope this helps a bit.?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Thanks you all so much for the replies. I haven't heard any update yet as I've been away all day. Waiting to hear. Really hoping that he'll pull through. :(
    No, the other dog didn't have his vacs and caught it off a dog that they had staying in the house for a few days. We both use the same vet. The OH's sister is a vet nurse so going to talk to her when we call out tomorrow about it. Going to clean down the house with bleach tomorrow while the other half takes the dog for a walk!
    My main concern is there is alot of dogs in our area and wouldn't like to see any other dog get sick or anything from it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement