Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a gameing pc prioritys

Options
  • 01-06-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Its only 2.5 years since I built my last PC`s but now I find I have lost touch with the technology completely.

What are the priority components to spend money on when building gaming PC.

1)Processor......Intel or AMD, 4 or 8 core
    2)Motherboards...Overclocking .....is it a waste of time?
    3)SSD drives .....120 or 240 gigs
    4)Graphics card/cards....is one good card or 2 mediocre cards better in SLI/CROSSFIRE config the way to go.
    5)Which supplier is best....Dabs or Hardwareversand.de

There are probably 1000 other questions I need to ask but I gotta start the research with some broad guidelines. Last pc I built was a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 which was then a good unit.....that was 2009 I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Walker34 wrote: »
    Its only 2.5 years since I built my last PC`s but now I find I have lost touch with the technology completely.

What are the priority components to spend money on when building gaming PC.

1)Processor......Intel or AMD, 4 or 8 core
    2)Motherboards...Overclocking .....is it a waste of time?
    3)SSD drives .....120 or 240 gigs
    4)Graphics card/cards....is one good card or 2 mediocre cards better in SLI/CROSSFIRE config the way to go.
    5)Which supplier is best....Dabs or Hardwareversand.de

There are probably 1000 other questions I need to ask but I gotta start the research with some broad guidelines. Last pc I built was a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 which was then a good unit.....that was 2009 I think.

1) Intel Sandy/Ivy bridge, so i5 2500k/3570k, i7 2600k/3770k are the best due to massive overclocking potential

2) Hell no. Get a Z68/Z77 board, and the benefits are easy.

3) 128 is easily enough for most applications along with the OS, unless you have a huge Steam library

4) Depends on what you want to do with it in the future. If you might upgrade it in the next 1-2 years, something like a 670 would be great, otherwise look into 2 7850s.

5) HWVS

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Cheers m8

Advertisement