Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 - Comparative Texts

Options
  • 01-06-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hey

Six days away from paper 2 and trying to cram as much of my comparatives as possible. Our 3 comparatives are The Kite Runner , How Many Miles to Babylon and The Constant Gardner

I'm okay with The Kite Runner + Constant Gardner but when it comes to How Many Miles to Babylon I haven't a notion. I'll be going into the exam with the bare gist of the story and suppose I can link bits of it to the other 2 texts but I was wondering if I would be slated for only answering on two texts rather than three?

I did this in the mocks and got a measly 31/70 on this question but I felt if I put twice as much substance onto the paper in regards to the two texts I answered I'd have brought up the mark a lot

Anyone think it'd be alright doing this or would I be killed by the examiner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Willbbz wrote: »
    Hey

Six days away from paper 2 and trying to cram as much of my comparatives as possible. Our 3 comparatives are The Kite Runner , How Many Miles to Babylon and The Constant Gardner

I'm okay with The Kite Runner + Constant Gardner but when it comes to How Many Miles to Babylon I haven't a notion. I'll be going into the exam with the bare gist of the story and suppose I can link bits of it to the other 2 texts but I was wondering if I would be slated for only answering on two texts rather than three?

I did this in the mocks and got a measly 31/70 on this question but I felt if I put twice as much substance onto the paper in regards to the two texts I answered I'd have brought up the mark a lot

Anyone think it'd be alright doing this or would I be killed by the examiner?
    Our english teacher said that it is a very foolish thing to to only use 2 two texts, as it says 'at least two texts'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'd use three if I were you. Babylon is a grant text really.

Alec was isolated, **** home life, meets poor boy, becomes friends, develops into a more caring, considerate person who thinks more or himself, still has crappy home, finds out father is not his father, goes to war with Jerry, Jerry runs away to find his father and is sentenced to death, Alec shoots him privately to save him the humility, Alec is then put in the same position Jerry was.

Depending in you theme it can be fairly handy to write about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up just reading the book about half an hour after posting this so I won't be winging it in the exam now with just the main points and arbitrary quotes :D
    Depending in you theme it can be fairly handy to write about.

For the 3 texts the main theme(s) I'm doing is War / Violence so you were right saying it was a grand text. Theme of War is evident on nearly every page so it's probably easier to answer on with this text as opposed to the other two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i have a fewlinks to help with the comparative if you want to take a look at them?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056656485 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnson901

In a two part comparative question where it first tells you to talk about one text must you compare it to the other two texts aswell? And it in the second part must you mention the text you spoke about in the first part?

• Advertisement
Advertisement