Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sapphire HD 7850 not being detected ...

Options
  • 01-06-2012 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Just finished a new build but I can't detect the GPU. Using integrated graphics at the mo.

Win 7 Pro
    i5-3570k
    Z77 Extreme 4
    Sapphire HD7850
    XFX Pro 750w

The fans are spinning on the GPU but not showing up in device manager. Under display adapters its only showing Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. I had and have since uninstalled the intel graphics drivers.

I've tried downloading and installing AMD's drivers (version 12.4) but it doesn't seam to be doing anything. It downloads fine, runs setup fine, installs fine but then nothing that I can see? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Have you set your primary graphics device to PCI Adapter in the BIOS? Default is usually IGPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Just finished a new build but I can't detect the GPU. Using integrated graphics at the mo.

Win 7 Pro
    i5-3570k
    Z77 Extreme 4
    Sapphire HD7850
    XFX Pro 750w

The fans are spinning on the GPU but not showing up in device manager. Under display adapters its only showing Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. I had and have since uninstalled the intel graphics drivers.

I've tried downloading and installing AMD's drivers (version 12.4) but it doesn't seam to be doing anything. It downloads fine, runs setup fine, installs fine but then nothing that I can see? :confused:

Sounds like an AMD driver issue, when you have 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' under device manager and especially if there's no catalyst control centre when you right click on the desktop.

12.4 are a disaster, lots of install errors etc. and 12.3 are not great either. 12.2 are fine for single card should be fine (I had to go back to 11.12 RC11 for stable drivers for xfire & eyefinity:p).

You can get all the previous drivers here:

Edit:

Brian, its best to use this guide when you remove the 12.4's, much safer than driver cleaner programs-and does not screw the registry up. Trust me, I shagged mine using phyxions driver cleaner after several attempts to install 12.4 and had to reinstall windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

superneat wrote: »
    Have you set your primary graphics device to PCI Adapter in the BIOS? Default is usually IGPU.

Default is actually PCIe this board so that set correct.
    glynf wrote: »
    Sounds like a driver issue, especially if there's no catalyst control centre when you right click on the desktop. 12.4 are a disaster-lots of install errors, and 12.3 are not great either. 12.2 are fine for single card I'm sure (I had to go back to 11.12 RC11 for stable drivers for xfire & eyefinity:p)

You can get all the previous drivers here:

Will give this a go now, here's hoping

Make sure you use the cleaning method in the edit.:)

So I uninstalled 12.4, installed 12.2 and the same. Not showing up in device manager. No catalyst control centre when I right click desktop.

There one thing showing up in device manager under "other devices" as unknown device with a yellow triangle beside it.

Have reseated the card 3 times but unfortunately don't another machine to test it in ... or another card to test in this one.
    Make sure you use the cleaning method in the edit.:)

What do you mean by this?

• Advertisement

So I uninstalled 12.4, installed 12.2 and the same. Not showing up in device manager. No catalyst control centre when I right click desktop.

There one thing showing up in device manager under "other devices" as unknown device with a yellow triangle beside it.

Have reseated the card 3 times but unfortunately don't another machine to test it in ... or another card to test in this one.

What do you mean by this?

I edited my first post, so was reiterating you should use this method to clean all the AMD files, hidden files and registry entrys left after you uninstall 12.4 and re-install the older drivers.

"Do not attempt the following method if you use AMD CPU/Motherboard otherwise you could remove important files such as chipset driver software ect that is needed to run the AMD based motherboard/CPU.

Method based on a Intel Motherboard/CPU with AMD GPU/s Only!

Firstly, start the computer as normal and make your way to add/remove programs.

Uninstall ALL ATI/AMD software via the ATI uninstaller. Choose the "Express uninstall option.

Reboot.

Go to folder options and show hidden files and folders. Click Apply.

Once all of the remaining ATI entries have been removed from the Programs Un-install list and the computer has been rebooted, the remaining registry entries, Program Files, Program Data, and AppData entries and will need to be removed. So this is how to delete them.

To start check C: Program files (this may differ if you have labeled your main hard drive a different letter)

Windows 64 bit users will need to also check c: Program Files x86
    Look for any ATI folders or ATI Technologies and delete them.

Go to C: ProgramData and remove any ATI folders (Normaly hidden)

Go to users. We need to check all users. even if you just have 1 user, the system makes a "admin" user that you may not know about.

Once in users, go into your user folder name, then appdata. Now you need to check both Local and Roaming folders to remove ATI files. Repeat the process for the other folder called Default and any other user profiles you may have made on the system.

Now the last bit. Go onto "regedit".

Click HKEY LOCAL MACHINE and extend the folder.

Click SOFTWARE and extent the folder.

Click the folders one at a time that begin with "ATI" or "AMD" and hit the DEL key to delete them.

Reboot.

Install your new ATI/AMD drivers.

far more effective and safer then a driver cleaner. driver cleaners can cause issues with registry and software driver communication and INF file corruption other an amount of use."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

Try the driver that came with it and uninstall all others. I think there is a removal tool to get rid of all drivers.

What's the PCI vendor ID of the standard VGA adapter? If it's 8086 then you're seeing the onboard Intel video, if 1002 then it's the AMD card.

I had a similar issue with someone yesterday. Turns out they had bent the pins on the CPU socket when installing the CPU. I carefully straightened them, refitted the CPU and it worked fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Have you disabled the onboard video in the bios

OK so I've tried the above and still no joy.
    Karsini wrote: »
    What's the PCI vendor ID of the standard VGA adapter? If it's 8086 then you're seeing the onboard Intel video, if 1002 then it's the AMD card.

I had a similar issue with someone yesterday. Turns out they had bent the pins on the CPU socket when installing the CPU. I carefully straightened them, refitted the CPU and it worked fine after that.

How do I check this? The DVI cable is plugged into the mobo though so it must be onboard Intel video no?

• Advertisement

cuppa wrote: »
    Have you disabled the onboard video in the bios

Can't find a way to disable it but PCIe is set for default graphics

How do I check this? The DVI cable is plugged into the mobo though so it must be onboard Intel video no?

I think that if you have your monitor plugged in to the dvi on the mobo, it must be using the igpu?

Try plugging the dvi into the radeon, restart, go into bios and disable the igpu. Save and restart, then Install and drivers.

Yeah it's most likely the onboard video. In Device Manager if you check the Hardware IDs on the Details tab it should show it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Can't find a way to disable it but PCIe is set for default graphics

pcie is default , there have to be something to disable on board graphics

Yeah, should be ok then if primary GPU is set to PCI and you're plugging the monitor directly into the AMD card.

Also try disabling IGPU Multi monitor if the option is in the BIOS.

Yeah it's most likely the onboard video. In Device Manager if you check the Hardware IDs on the Details tab it should show it there.

just checked that and its 8086
    I think that if you have your monitor plugged in to the dvi on the mobo, it must be using the igpu?

Try plugging the dvi into the radeon, restart, go into bios and disable the igpu. Save and restart, then Install and drivers.

When I plug into the Radeon I get no signal at all, monitor just goes into power saving mode ... :confused:

There's no where that I can see to disable igpu in bios, my only option is to select primary graphics device with is PCIe

just checked that and its 8086

When I plug into the Radeon I get no signal at all, monitor just goes into power saving mode ... :confused:

There's no where that I can see to disable igpu in bios, my only option is to select primary graphics device with is PCIe

Do you have the 8-pin power connectors attached? Could be a faulty card or motherboard.

Do you have the 8-pin power connectors attached? Could be a faulty card or motherboard.

This card runs off a single 6pin PCIe power connector. I assume the fans on the card wouldn't spin if there was a problem with the power clable?
    Yeah, should be ok then if primary GPU is set to PCI and you're plugging the monitor directly into the AMD card.

Also try disabling IGPU Multi monitor if the option is in the BIOS.

All disabled, no joy. There's another option VD-t capability but it says unsupported beside it.

:EDIT: Even if it's a faulty card or MOBO should I not be able to see the catalyst control center if I right click the desktop?

Gave a look at the manual online, tbh the only other setting in the bios is an option to disable the igpu multi monitor, but this seems to be more for vista. You could try that. The only other thing I can see is it recommends pci-e slot 1.

Edit: sry, I'm on a phone so missed your last post.

Agree with Karsini re. poss faulty card or mobo. You've got all setting correct that I can see.

Only thing else I can suggest is update all mono drivers from website, bios as well.

Do you have another gpu to stick in?

Gave a look at the manual online, tbh the only other setting in the bios is an option to disable the igpu multi monitor, but this seems to be more for vista. You could try that. The only other thing I can see is it recommends pci-e slot 1.

Have it disabled .... gonna try slot 1 now ....

• Advertisement

:EDIT: Even if it's a faulty card or MOBO should I not be able to see the catalyst control center if I right click the desktop?
    No, the CCC menu item won't appear until the driver is active.

WWWOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo :D

Haven't installed drivers yet but am getting video from the card now when DVI is plugged in there.

The top PCIe slot is slot number 2 .... is that normal? I assumed the top one was no1 and plugged it in there.:o moved it to the bottom one and looks like we're in business!

Glynf I love you man :o

WWWOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo :D

Haven't installed drivers yet but am getting video from the card now when DVI is plugged in there.

The top PCIe slot is slot number 2 .... is that normal? I assumed the top one was no1 and plugged it in there.:o moved it to the bottom one and looks like we're in business!

Glynf I love you man :o

Great stuff, delighted to help. No need to send flowers though! :D

drivers installed and catalyst control center showing up and everything, i think we're in business! What a silly mistake!

Hey, me again! :o

Been playing around with overclocking my Sapphire HD7850 (non-OC one). The last settings I had it at, I believe, were core 1160mhz and 1.165v. I think memory was stock.

I was running Furmark and system froze, all fans came on 100% and I got a blank screen. I had to hold the power button down to get it to restart and know the system doesn't detect the graphics card. Using integrated graphics at the minute.

I've restarted the PC a few times, reseated the gpu, tried it in the other PCIe slot, took it out it back in the first one. Looked in BIOS for PCIe graphics etc. Device manager doesn't see it at all, not even a yellow triangle for an unknown device.

Any ideas? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Try it in someone elses pc and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably shouldn't have gone that high on the clock. Stock is around 860mhz on the clock

Some are capable of 1290 on the clock and nearly all can do 1200 so I dont think 1160 is too much of a bother.

Brought it into PC World of all places and they kindly stuck it into one of their machines and it was detected. They didn't have CCC drivers but it was detected none the less and they were getting a video signal from it.

I tried it again in mine since incase plugging it into their mobo "reset" it to default (from the OC'd voltage) but still nothing. Also deleted MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak just in case the problem was the OC and they were loading it at the higher setting but that didn't help either.

Looks like it's my mobo (ASRock Z77 Extreme 4)? I don't have another card to test in it though.

• Advertisement

uninstall the cards drivers aswell

Advertisement