Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go in Canada advise

Options
  • 01-06-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

So I got my LOI and would be looking to go to Canada around mid September. I was planning on going to Toronto initially but now am unsure where to head. I have 6 years experience working in accountancy and the long term plan is to try get permanent residency.
    Would it be a good idea to go working in one of the ski resorts for a few months and get a bit of Canadian work experience while saving a few quid and then go looking for a proper job in my field? Or should I just head straight to one of the big cities and where would be best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Hey Guys,

So I got my LOI and would be looking to go to Canada around mid September. I was planning on going to Toronto initially but now am unsure where to head. I have 6 years experience working in accountancy and the long term plan is to try get permanent residency.
    Would it be a good idea to go working in one of the ski resorts for a few months and get a bit of Canadian work experience while saving a few quid and then go looking for a proper job in my field? Or should I just head straight to one of the big cities and where would be best?

I would say go straight for a job in your field and register with a temp agency while you are looking.
    They will be looking for Canadian work experience in your field so ski resort work may not be of benefit to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Yeah your probably right I just have a fear that I won't be able to get work in my field. Would Toronto be my best bet? Vancouver seems like a nice place but I hear jobs not plentiful there and cost of living high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Dude, Canada is way bigger than 2 cities. You should spread your net wider than these two
    The further inland you move the lower the cost of living and less competition for jobs.
    Though Toronto is the financial capital of Canada so it has a lot of financial companies HQed there.
    I live in Edmonton Alberta and there is plenty of work around here.
    I cant say what its like for number crunchers but you wouldn't be stuck without work anyways.
    There opportunities in every field it seems.

Also look in Calgary also in Alberta

Thanks Red Menace, I think a lot of the Irish get carried away with moving to Toronto or Vancouver without giving other cities a chance. I'll definitely have to do some further research.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

come to London Ontario! Expand the Irish population from the present number of 4

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    come to London Ontario! Expand the Irish population from the present number of 4

How did you end up there? I suppose it's not too far from Toronto. I'd go anywhere in Canada if I got a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

If you like skiing and nature and mountains, go to Vancouver.

If you are a bigger city person, Toronto. The movie theatres in Scarborough and Mississauga show Bollywood and Tamil movies... those populations are large enough that it's worth it for them to show those genres of movies. There are smaller cities in Ontario, like Barrie, Newmarket, Guelph, Kitchener.

The cities in Atlantic Canada are smaller, maybe more of a small town feel. There are fewer jobs though. If you are a professional in some field, you can likely find a job somewhere if you're willing to move to the city the job is in.

Alberta is booming because of the oil industry.

It's probably a good idea to come and visit, when you visit a city you will probably be able to tell if you'll like it there. Have a peek on monster.ca, torontojobshop.com and workopolis.ca

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How did you end up there? I suppose it's not too far from Toronto. I'd go anywhere in Canada if I got a decent job.

gf is studying here.

Advertisement