Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"You'd sacrifice this beautiful woman for a moderately attractive ape?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah of course some cultures are messed up and worse than others - like the Congo and Afghanistan. Nothing nazi-ish/fascist about that sentiment IMO.

Er, those terms came straight from Wibbs, no-one else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sea Filly wrote: »
    No, it really isn't.
    Oh yes it is. Oh no it isn't. Oh yes it is. We can pantomime this for a while if you like. Look behind you!!!. It's the Nazis *boo hiss* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm just gonna pop you in "takes post really literally" pile, unless I am wrong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh yes it is. Oh no it isn't. Oh yes it is. We can pantomime this for a while if you like. Look behind you!!!. It's the Nazis *boo hiss* :D

Well, nice to see you find yourself hilarious anyway.

The term is a specific one, but if you don't want to see that, I can't make you.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    TBH I am shocked at the amount of thumbs up and messages of support someone who states "I am a Nazi" is getting! I had hoped we had moved on a bit

Pretty much. It's interesting. And telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Last I checked this thread was about sexy chimps, not herr wibbs the super nazi!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Pretty much.

Are you reading through the thread, replying to bits as you come to them?

Would it not make more sense to read the whole thread, as conversations evolve, or at least use multi quote?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yes you're spot on to say it was facilitated by most... hell I'd go further and say the vast majority facilitated it and for me we were a lesser culture because of crap like that. A land where Father Ted was more a documentary than a comedy, with moving statues and kissing the ring of Bishops, in all senses of the description. That aspect of that lesser culture has been wiped out and consigned to the history books and I'm glad to see the back of it and yes I'd have been well glad if the perpetrators of those crimes were strung up by the ghoulies, but more measured types imprisoned some of them, but not nearly enough of them IMHO.

So tell me. Who are the superior cultures you speak of? The majority of the Euro countries and Americas proved they were animals during the Colonial period. The Russians proved it during the Gulag years, the Chinese aren't currently covering themselves in glory, Indian caste system etc etc.
    Most people are maliable and adopt whatever culture they are born into ie people are people for all that they are good or bad.
    Whether you think you are being clever or actually are a Nazi is irrelevant as you are spreading a hateful message

Are you reading through the thread, replying to bits as you come to them?

Would it not make more sense to read the whole thread, as conversations evolve, or at least use multi quote?

I've read the whole thread. But thanks anyway, sure what would I do without you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Last I checked this thread was about sexy chimps, not herr wibbs the super nazi!

I heard Wibbs is actually the brain of Himmler in a robot body.

Makes sense, now we just need to find out why he's hookin orangutans...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My money is on Wibbs making fun of both himself and the AH tendancy of a small but vocal minority of posters to always push towards the extremes.

I'm just gonna pop you in "takes post really literally" pile, unless I am wrong.

You're probably right and that is why I don't normally read after hours coz the attitudes here are depressing but sometimes a post catches you eye in the latest post tab.

It will teach me to click on posts about attractive Apes:p

I
    My money is on Wibbs making fun of both himself and the AH tendancy of a small but vocal minority of posters to always push towards the extremes.

Just did a search of his post history and he has mentioned being fascist before. So, he is being ironic in ALL those posts, yes?

Anyway, going to bow out this thread, not that I'll be missed I'm sure. Laters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Maybe the Indonesian fundamentalists (mentioned in another ongoing thread) should go about sorting this kind of thing out rather than having a hissy fit over lady gaga performing there? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ok it's an awful, disgusting, depraved story but the first comment on it made me nearly piss myself laughing.

"Pony 2012"

• Advertisement

So tell me. Who are the superior cultures you speak of? The majority of the Euro countries and Americas proved they were animals during the Colonial period.
    You'll notice your use of the past tense?
    Most people are maliable and adopt whatever culture they are born into ie people are people for all that they are good or bad.
    Personally I'll take the good ones over the bad myself. I don't buy the "people are people" idea. "So you're in favour of genocide/anti gay/anti women/clerical kiddie fiddling/shaved simian shagging* delete as applicable*, but that's OK as that's your culture and I understand" nonsense. It seems I have more faith in people that they can express a WTF? against such bullshít than you do. My attitude is that there are times when you have to stand up and throw off the wishy washy handwringing cultural relativitism and say, No you're a fcukwit, the culture you're buying into is bankrupt and you should be stopped.
    Whether you think you are being clever or actually are a Nazi is irrelevant as you are spreading a hateful message
    No PR I'm apparently not a Nazi, but a fascist as I wasn't being specific enough for some.
    Naw LF apparently he was a loverly boss and all around nice bloke(unless you were Jewish, Gay, Political opponent, Gypsy, Jehovahs witness, Slav). Defo not me, though those Jehovah lads can be a pain at your doorstep, but I won't be slapping purple triangles on them any time soon. Maybe I'm channeling Albert Speer as I do like a bit of design myself.
    Makes sense, now we just need to find out why he's hookin orangutans...
    How dare you! I'm pimping out Bonobos. A far higher quality of product and always gagging for a bit of hows your father. Judging by your username I'm thinking I may have found my latest customer. :D

It will teach me to click on posts about attractive Apes:p
    Rookie error Sir, rookie error. :D

Judging by your username I'm thinking I may have found my latest customer. :D

Hey i was promised discretion!

You'll notice your use of the past tense
    Barely past tense. And not past tense at all for some of them.
    Personally I'll take the good ones over the bad myself. I don't buy the "people are people" idea. "So you're in favour of genocide/anti gay/anti women/clerical kiddie fiddling/shaved simian shagging* delete as applicable*, but that's OK as that's your culture and I understand" nonsense.

Many in Ireland were good people but this stuff was going on and most people did nothing preferring to kow tow to the priest/politician. People are people and get on as best they can
    I am not sure what post I claimed to be in favour of genocide, kiddy fiddling etc. I would have thought my posts were to the contrary.

It is a back arse village in Indonesia where civilisation has obviously broken down or never built up. Probably controlled by criminals for profit. But it is an issue that can be sorted other than by way of extermination.

My main point being while you might think it is clever to call yourself a Nazi/fascist and spout this crap whether you believe it or not personally normalises this kind of talk. The amount of likes and defenders you have gotten is astonishing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

So this orangutan was a kidde fiddler nazi as well as a prostitute, she's been keeping busy

• Advertisement

LFs post is the gift that keeps on giving.
    Barely past tense. And not past tense at all for some of them.
    Yea pretty much past tense with the vast majority of them.
    I am not sure what post I claimed to be in favour of genocide, kiddy fiddling etc. I would have thought my posts were to the contrary.
    That's the trap of cultural relativitism. It can often be vague in it's intent.
    It is a back arse village in Indonesia where civilisation has obviously broken down or never built up. Probably controlled by criminals for profit. But it is an issue that can be sorted other than by way of extermination.
    annnd where did I mention sending in the stormtroopers?
    My main point being while you might think it is clever to call yourself a Nazi/fascist and spout this crap whether you believe it or not personally normalises this kind of talk. The amount of likes and defenders you have gotten is astonishing
    I sense you'd be in favour of de-normalising "this sort of talk", sweep it under the carpet, even ban all such notions and wait for the happy clappy formula to take over and cure the worlds ills? Yea like that works. Many times there is a point reached where you say hang the fcuk on, this is BS of the highest degree and it needs to be changed for the good of humanity and yes there are yardsticks that one can judge about such things that trump local culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I think most people "liked" his post as they gathered he was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Four days ago I read Clive Barker's "New Murders in the Rue Morgue"....where a shaved orangutang goes about murdering women in the search for happiness/ acceptance as a human. Towards the end of the story he seemingly enters a relationship with a red-headed prostitute by having sex with her.

It wasn't one of my favourite Barker stories and I found the whole 'sex with an ape' bit quite distasteful (A little strange considering I actually like his violent stuff, but anyhow). There I was getting grossed out only to find this kind of thing happens in the real world. I don't know which is more distressing, that the poor creature was chained up as a sex slave or that men (presumably) found some sort of thrill in coitus with a) a shaved ape and b) a chained slave. It's a sick world we live in.

Smyth wrote: »

His subsequent posts in the thread and a smattering of posts in his posting history would suggest he's not taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned kate & gerry mc Cann yet:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

apsalar wrote: »
    Four days ago I read Clive Barker's "New Murders in the Rue Morgue"....where a shaved orangutang goes about murdering women in the search for happiness/ acceptance as a human. Towards the end of the story he seemingly enters a relationship with a red-headed prostitute by having sex with her.

It wasn't one of my favourite Barker stories and I found the whole 'sex with an ape' bit quite distasteful (A little strange considering I actually like his violent stuff, but anyhow). There I was getting grossed out only to find this kind of thing happens in the real world. I don't know which is more distressing, that the poor creature was chained up as a sex slave or that men (presumably) found some sort of thrill in coitus with a) a shaved ape and b) a chained slave. It's a sick world we live in.

I did like that story but I think it was a shaved gorilla in the story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Story is four years old. I wonder why it has suddenly resurfaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Theres a place where You can pay to have sex with Chimps???

I heard of it too I wonder what they do with all those chimps you pay them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I did like that story but I think it was a shaved gorilla in the story!

Thought it was a gorilla at first too, but it didn't make sense to me. Gorilla's have dark skin and I think orangutangs look more human...Then again, he doesn't really describe it and he never specified so I just figured it was an orangutang..sorry for going off topic.

So tell me. Who are the superior cultures you speak of? The majority of the Euro countries and Americas proved they were animals during the Colonial period. The Russians proved it during the Gulag years, the Chinese aren't currently covering themselves in glory, Indian caste system etc etc.

Well I cant think of any truly superior cultures at the moment but put simply there are those within all societies that aspire towards a superior society and those who do not.

People who view nothing wrong with a lack of empathy towards other living creatures especially our closest relatives are not part of aspirations for a superior society. Those who dont see other humans as equal regardless of race, religion or artificial notions such as class also cant be part of a superior society.

I would say in every society theres progressive elements and regressive elements. Its just a matter of how those elements are balanced.

• Advertisement

Yea pretty much past tense with the vast majority of them.

Debateable
    That's the trap of cultural relativitism. It can often be vague in it's intent.
    That doesn't even answer my point
    annnd where did I mention sending in the stormtroopers?

Where did I mention stormtroopers? I said exterminate. You said
    I'd cull the humans myself. Better for the planet and the humans that are more civilised.
    Won't argue with you about the difference between culling and exterminating
    I sense you'd be in favour of de-normalising "this sort of talk", sweep it under the carpet, even ban all such notions and wait for the happy clappy formula to take over and cure the worlds ills? Yea like that works.

Not sure where you got this idea. I'm in favour of a debate on these topics. I don't understand how me debating it here is sweeping it under the carpet.
    Happy clapping formula? I have no idea what that is.
    Many times there is a point reached where you say hang the fcuk on, this is BS of the highest degree and it needs to be changed for the good of humanity and yes there are yardsticks that one can judge about such things that trump local culture.
    So raving about being a nazi and claiming that some cultures and individuals are better than others is the way to achieve it?
    While you may think you're a hilarious guy and post these to be clever you should be aware that normalising hate spreads hate. I dion't even think you believe what you're writing but yet you're still willing to spread it which is worse in my opinion.

btw I have noticed that you are ignoring parts of my points that you can't answer.
    Smyth wrote: »
    And how do you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Simi wrote: »
    *Fair warning, this isn't a feel good story.

whaddya mean? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

My first thought when reading this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

OP, thanks for the entertaining, llighthearted, post, It was ...just lovely.

Wibbs, an application of the Well Ordering Principle to the set of all living things will, I am sure, result in some humans ranking below some other living things. The problem lies in who does the 'well ordering'?

(Are you having a bad day, btw? If so, my condolences, I've had a sh*tter, too)

I'd have no problem shaving an orang utan ( or any other animal) to sell for sex, if, say, it paid for medication for my wife or child. I (indirectly) pay people to kill cows, pigs, sheep, rabbits, birds, and fish for food. So, why not sell one for sex?

If some enormously wealthy person attacked my compound to free my sex slave & deprive me of my income, I'd probably kill them if it was a survival issue, and you probably would, too.

Not enough info in the article to make a call I think.

People who view nothing wrong with a lack of empathy towards other living creatures especially our closest relatives are not part of aspirations for a superior society. Those who see other humans as equal regardless of race, religion or artificial notions such as class also cant be part of a superior society.

Sorry mate I am finding it difficult to understand your point here. Does the first sentence not contradict the second?

You are saying
    The 'superior society' should show empathy to apes?
    The 'superior society' should not see other humans as equal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Yep I'm a Nazi. I'm certainly not some wishy washy cultural relativist. Some cultures are simply better than others on balance and if that balance goes too far then they're hardly worth saving except in the pages of history books. I won't be crying in my cornflakes over the passing of something like the Inquisition and its assorted members of superstitious dribblers any time soon. If a culture of prostitute villages with a side order of pongosexuality died out I'd be raising a glass to progress.

Amen to that.

Culture my arse. What the f*ck is wrong with people?

FoxT wrote: »
    OP, thanks for the entertaining, llighthearted, post, It was ...just lovely.

Wibbs, an application of the Well Ordering Principle to the set of all living things will, I am sure, result in some humans ranking below some other living things. The problem lies in who does the 'well ordering'?

(Are you having a bad day, btw? If so, my condolences, I've had a sh*tter, too)

I'd have no problem shaving an orang utan ( or any other animal) to sell for sex, if, say, it paid for medication for my wife or child. I (indirectly) pay people to kill cows, pigs, sheep, rabbits, birds, and fish for food. So, why not sell one for sex?

If some enormously wealthy person attacked my compound to free my sex slave & deprive me of my income, I'd probably kill them if it was a survival issue, and you probably would, too.

Not enough info in the article to make a call I think.

Because most people have a degree of emapthy and basic humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

apsalar wrote: »
    Thought it was a gorilla at first too, but it didn't make sense to me. Gorilla's have dark skin and I think orangutangs look more human...Then again, he doesn't really describe it and he never specified so I just figured it was an orangutang..sorry for going off topic.

I've heard something like that before but not in reference to apes.

Sorry mate I am finding it difficult to understand your point here. Does the first sentence not contradict the second?

You are saying
    The 'superior society' should show empathy to apes?
    The 'superior society' should not see other humans as equal?

It does mate sorry It should have said
    Those who dont see other humans as equal regardless of race, religion or artificial notions such as class also cant be part of a superior society.

• Advertisement

So raving about being a nazi and claiming that some cultures and individuals are better than others is the way to achieve it?
    While you may think you're a hilarious guy and post these to be clever you should be aware that normalising hate spreads hate. I dion't even think you believe what you're writing but yet you're still willing to spread it which is worse in my opinion.

Indeed. The phrase "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" keeps coming to my mind.

I think the story linked in the OP is abhorrent. I don't think culture should be used as an excuse. But who says this is a culture at work? I would think there are cases of bestiality, known and unknown in every country in the world. We only hear about it when it goes to court or goes wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enumclaw_horse_sex_case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Why do you like riding Fat Hippos?

I'm surprised to see that I am the first person to comment on this!
    The story about the orangutan was terrible but imho this video is way worse:(

Those two yokes have that graphic screaming match in broad daylight and all the while in front of a very young child in a buggy.

God only knows what that child sees and hears on a regular basis in private if that's what those animals are willing to air in public:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭The Master of Disaster

I like to let the various diverse cultures of the world flourish but frankly I cannot defend this. In fact I watched a film recently called Make Them Die Slowly and I vote we deliver the perpetrators to the same fate of the people in that!

But seriously what the **** would make you want to **** an orangutan :eek::mad::confused:

Well I cant think of any truly superior cultures at the moment but put simply there are those within all societies that aspire towards a superior society and those who do not.

People who view nothing wrong with a lack of empathy towards other living creatures especially our closest relatives are not part of aspirations for a superior society. Those who dont see other humans as equal regardless of race, religion or artificial notions such as class also cant be part of a superior society.

I would say in every society theres progressive elements and regressive elements. Its just a matter of how those elements are balanced.

I couldn't argue with any of that

I
    But seriously what the **** would make you want to **** an orangutan :eek::mad::confused:

If you find something with a hole you will find someone to **** it. There are lots of strange people out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see that I am the first person to comment on this!
    The story about the orangutan was terrible but imho this video is way worse:(

Those two yokes have that graphic screaming match in broad daylight and all the while in front of a very young child in a buggy.

God only knows what that child sees and hears on a regular basis in private if that's what those animals are willing to air in public:mad:

how is humans fighting each other worse then people riding a animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I was sure from the title this was going to be an amusing thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

LOUD NOISES!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

V_Moth wrote: »
    Story is four years old. I wonder why it has suddenly resurfaced?

Reddit. Parts of Boards (Im looking at you YLYL -_-)needs reddit to live. Just like reddit needs 4chan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Are we allowed to make "Yore Ma" jokes yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Are we allowed to make "Yore Ma" jokes yet?

is she ready for them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement