Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"You'd sacrifice this beautiful woman for a moderately attractive ape?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

how is humans fighting each other worse then people riding a animal

If you watched the video than there really is no reply to that.

Unless you are saying that an animal in a jungle in Borneo who has been abused life's in more valuable that a child who experiencing that kind of sh1t around the corner from us is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Humans have the largest penis of all primates.

Orangutan penis size is 4cm

also it's not a new story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

PICS or GTFO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

kowloon wrote: »
    I was sure from the title this was going to be an amusing thread.

Gotta say, I did not see it turning out this way. I thought it'd go...

joke post,
    pun post,
    indifferent post,
    outraged post,
    outraged at joke post,
    etc.

...before eventually being derailed.

I don't think anyone got a single pun in before it got derailed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

F*ck that. I've taken worse home from coppers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Pawwed Rig, I know Wibbs well enough to know he does not mean cultures that are different but not involving horrific treatment of powerless people. There are some staggeringly f'ucked up societies and of course the ordinary people are not to blame - they are the ones suffering and don't know any better, because of the ensuring that they get no education. It's the ***** wielding the power over them, ensuring that they are cowed into submission at all times... I know I wouldn't give a **** what happened to them. It's not the entire societies, it's the people controlling them and ensuring the status quo never changes. I strongly assume Wibbs is saying he's a nazi tongue-in-cheek because of those who'd choose to misread what he's saying. He's not a nazi, to be fair. :)

Ireland is a better society for ordinary people to live in than the Congo, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Burma, North Korea et al. Ireland isn't perfect and we're not superior to the people of those countries of course, it's just that people are treated far better here rather than living in fear, misery, untold poverty and ignorance. That's why I'm strongly in favour of asylum-granting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Dudess wrote: »
    Pawwed Rig, I know Wibbs well enough to know he does not mean cultures that are different but not involving horrific treatment of powerless people. There are some staggeringly f'ucked up societies and if course the ordinary people are not to blame - they are the ones suffering and don't know any better, because of the ensuring that they get no education. It's the ***** wielding the power over them, ensuring that they are cowed into submission at all times... I know I wouldn't give a **** what happened to them. It's not the entire societies, it's the people controlling them and ensuring the status quo never changes.

Ireland is a better society for ordinary people to live in than the Congo, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Burma, North Korea et al. Ireland isn't perfect and we're not superior to the people of those countries of course, it's just that people are treated far better here rather than living in fear, misery, untold poverty and ignorance. That's why I'm strongly in favour of asylum-granting.

See, this is reasonable. There is a huge difference between this and erroneously and proudly declaring oneself to be a Nazi. And then a fascist. (Which wasn't tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic, by the way, it appears to be a genuine stance. One he's allowed to have, of course, but which people have the right to question and object to)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree Dudess, except for one bit; I would be of the opinion that many of the so called "ordinary people" are to blame. The Ireland under the church with all it's attendant crimes a good example. Too many people turned a blind eye. They knew well it was going on, but did sweet eff all. Very very few looked and pointed. No fcuked up culture or regime lasts long without a critical mass of overt support and without a critical mass of tacit support. Again look at Ireland, we weren't living in Ballooba land, uneducated and cut off from the rest of the world(enough of our sons and daughters were overseas observing other cultures and coming back and forth).

IMHO ignorance is all too often used as an excuse after the fact. The best example(and since the thread is well Godwined) would be Germany coming under the sway of the Nazi party. The Germans were among the most erudite, cultured and technologically advanced nations on the planet at the time. On the basis of evil follows ignorance you'd have been hard pressed to tag the Germans as a possible issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

mishkalucy wrote: »
    If you watched the video than there really is no reply to that.

Unless you are saying that an animal in a jungle in Borneo who has been abused life's in more valuable that a child who experiencing that kind of sh1t around the corner from us is.

The reason I think you were the first to comment on it Mishklucy is because it is an old, well known video, and I would imagine nearly everyone in Ireland has seen it multiple times at this stage.

Their life isn't more valuable, their lives are equally valuable I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The world is full of sickos who should be taken out of the gene pool for the betterment of the human race.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree Dudess, except for one bit; I would be of the opinion that many of the so called "ordinary people" are to blame. The Ireland under the church with all it's attendant crimes a good example. Too many people turned a blind eye. They knew well it was going on, but did sweet eff all. Very very few looked and pointed. No fcuked up culture or regime lasts long without a critical mass of overt support and without a critical mass of tacit support. Again look at Ireland, we weren't living in Ballooba land, uneducated and cut off from the rest of the world(enough of our sons and daughters were overseas observing other cultures and coming back and forth).

IMHO ignorance is all too often used as an excuse after the fact. The best example(and since the thread is well Godwined) would be Germany coming under the sway of the Nazi party. The Germans were among the most erudite, cultured and technologically advanced nations on the planet at the time. On the basis of evil follows ignorance you'd have been hard pressed to tag the Germans as a possible issue.
    Fear, trying to do something about it but it falling on deaf ears (as was the case in Ireland). In Germany people actually thought Hitler was going to do great things and it was on its knees after WWI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

My final word on this

kowloon wrote: »
    My final word on this

Hey, Polonius!

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Hey, Polonius!

I am slain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭SeanW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig, I know Wibbs well enough to know he does not mean cultures that are different but not involving horrific treatment of powerless people. There are some staggeringly f'ucked up societies and of course the ordinary people are not to blame - they are the ones suffering and don't know any better, because of the ensuring that they get no education. It's the ***** wielding the power over them, ensuring that they are cowed into submission at all times... I know I wouldn't give a **** what happened to them. It's not the entire societies, it's the people controlling them and ensuring the status quo never changes. I strongly assume Wibbs is saying he's a nazi tongue-in-cheek because of those who'd choose to misread what he's saying. He's not a nazi, to be fair. :)

I don't think I misread anything. He was very clear in what he said and has not retracted anything to date. If it is indeed tongue in cheek and you know him well then he seriously needs to consider the medium he uses. If he is going to come onto a public forum and spout that Sh*** then he needs to realise the effect it will have on people. There are many non Irish who are on this forum for example and for them to read his posts, why would they not be taken literally? With the amount of thumbs up received you can only assume support for his statements from a large amount of people. Wibbs posting, bearing in mind he is a moderator on boards, lets people see that this kind of hate speak is acceptable submissions to this website

Ireland has come from a vey dark place in the last 40 years. I would argue that we were no better than some of the countries you listed above. People here lived in fear, poverty, misery and ignorance for a long time however we have come out of that (to some extent). These countries you mention can do the same eventually. To eradicate them first would not allow them ever to improve.

Yep I'm a Nazi. I'm certainly not some wishy washy cultural relativist. Some cultures are simply better than others on balance and if that balance goes too far then they're hardly worth saving except in the pages of history books. I won't be crying in my cornflakes over the passing of something like the Inquisition and its assorted members of superstitious dribblers any time soon. If a culture of prostitute villages with a side order of pongosexuality died out I'd be raising a glass to progress.

Who's to say who's culture is better? A culture that bowed to and blindly followed people in power who abused children, who raped the children of our land?

WE didn't directly abuse children but people at the time stood back and allowed it to happen, people NOW are standing back and allowing the perpetrators of mass crime in our country to get away with it.

Who decides which culture should stay or go. Should we get blasted out of civilisation? Or do people need to learn from their mistakes themselves and progress. You're throwing around 'Nazi' very flippantly there.

Lon.C wrote: »
    F*ck that. I've taken worse home from coppers!!

A Joke at the dispense of women's looks. How kind. And original. I wonder are you a picture of beauty yoursef?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭SeanW

Who's to say who's culture is better?
    You would not agree that for example, Japanese culture is better than Saudi Arabian culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Damn Thade won't be happy with this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Who's to say who's culture is better? A culture that bowed to and blindly followed people in power who abused children, who raped the children of our land?

WE didn't directly abuse children but people at the time stood back and allowed it to happen, people NOW are standing back and allowing the perpetrators of mass crime in our country to get away with it.

It wasn't ordinary Irish people who ignored and covered up child molestation; it was those with the interests of the institution in question at heart. The vast majority of people knew rape was wrong, so your comparison is a completely unfair one.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    It wasn't ordinary Irish people who turned ignored and covered up child molestation; it was those with the interests of the institution in question at heart. The vast majority of people knew rape was wrong, so your comparison is a completely unfair one.

Yes but you could also say why do we live at all in a world where people are starving to death in Africa. There is more than enough food in the world to feed everyone. We are not intimately responsible, but You could say we are standing back and letting it happen.

There is no need to live at all in a world where this occurs. Everyone can make change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Is this bloody debate/argument still going on??

More sexy apes less fighting.

SeanW wrote: »
    You would not agree that for example, Japanese culture is better than Saudi Arabian culture?

I can definitely agree that Japanese culture is better than Saudi Arabian cultures, I just find it ironic that Wibbs is saying some cultures are better than others when our own was and is terrible. Should we be gotten rid of?

Were we any better than Saudi Arabia for years? They treat women terribly but as far as I know they didnt have a religion that condoned and covered up raping children. We are probably looked on by the eyes of other countries as absolutely terrible.

But we were strangleholded by culture and tradition, the same way Saudi Arabia is now. These societies and us need to develop, learn from mistakes and progress to be a better civilization.

Who decides which culture should stay or go. Should we get blasted out of civilisation? Or do people need to learn from their mistakes themselves and progress. You're throwing around 'Nazi' very flippantly there.

The bolded bit is a very good point. How is it decided which culture is bad enough to be eradicated? The use of the word 'Nazi' is very off because Hitler's reasons for wanting the Jews exterminated were FAR from good enough, if there is such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To be fair, we've all slept with worse with a few pints in us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Pony 2012!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There are many non Irish who are on this forum for example and for them to read his posts, why would they not be taken literally? With the amount of thumbs up received you can only assume support for his statements from a large amount of people.

This...
    Mise wrote:
    Some people are just primitives. Barbarians. Goes for a few aspects of a few cultures too. (Given a choice between) Massively endangered great apes versus breeding like rats stupid humans? I'd cull the humans myself. Better for the planet and the humans that are more civilised. Then again I am a (bit of a) Nazi who feels some cultures and individuals are better than others and a minority of people are complete and utter wastes of oxygen.
    ...is the post that got the thumbs up and got you looking around for tall equines. The only changes I'd make would be in brackets. Emboldened bits just encase you missed the point. Now where on God's green earth did I suggest eradication of entire cultures, especially by violent means? I'll give you a hint, I didn't. And further what have "non Irish" got to do with it? Where did I mention non Irish people? Of the very few examples of cultures I gave, other than the threads subject of simian shagging whore villages, was Ireland in the past.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd suggest you're seeing one thing and revving up to high do looking to take offence, a slight touch of Maudflandersitis. You're seeking to build up an issue that doesn't actually exist.
    Ireland has come from a vey dark place in the last 40 years. I would argue that we were no better than some of the countries you listed above.
    Which I did if you actually read my posts, rather than reading what you want to read.
    People here lived in fear, poverty, misery and ignorance for a long time however we have come out of that (to some extent).
    I'd take issue with the notion/excuse/explanation that we were some bunch of primitives in the early 1970's who didn't know any better. It's both insulting to people of the time and incredibly simplistic. With the exception of deprived areas which every culture has we were doing pretty alright 40 years ago. Employment was high, we had a mini boom economically, we had a good education system(arguably better in some aspects than today where 1 in 4 16 year old males is functionally illiterate), we even had books, radio, TV and films OMG! :eek:
    These countries you mention can do the same eventually. To eradicate them first would not allow them ever to improve.
    You're the one who seems hell bent on seeing eradication as only genocide and bombs.

Maybe you missed my previous post on this very page?
    I would be of the opinion that many of the so called "ordinary people" are to blame. The Ireland under the church with all it's attendant crimes a good example. Too many people turned a blind eye. They knew well it was going on, but did sweet eff all. Very very few looked and pointed. No fcuked up culture or regime lasts long without a critical mass of overt support and without a critical mass of tacit support.

BTW MLM, what mass crimes are going on today that people are turning a blind eye to? The bankers? Hardly. Rare a day goes by without people ranting about same in life and the pub and the media.
    Sea Filly wrote:
    The bolded bit is a very good point. How is it decided which culture is bad enough to be eradicated? The use of the word 'Nazi' is very off because Hitler's reasons for wanting the Jews exterminated were FAR from good enough, if there is such a thing.
    Oh. My. God. If there is such a thing? Eh I think you'll find that most civilised people wouldn't have to qualify "good enough", or even ask if there is such a thing in the mass extermination of a population.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Is this bloody debate/argument still going on??

More sexy apes less fighting.

Here ya go:D

Oh. My. God. If there is such a thing? Eh I think you'll find that most civilised people wouldn't have to qualify "good enough", or even ask if there is such a thing in the mass extermination of a population.

What are you talking about? Seriously. You're the one who (unjokingly though people seem to think otherwise) called himself a Nazi (because apparently that's a general term now), Nazis being people who believe the Jews were should not be allowed to live. Going by this, I wouldn't really trust your judgement of what constitutes a culture that isn't fit to exist anymore.

• Advertisement

I can definitely agree that Japanese culture is better than Saudi Arabian cultures, I just find it ironic that Wibbs is saying some cultures are better than others when our own was and is terrible. Should we be gotten rid of?
    A) nobody said anything about extermination. B) How is our culture still terrible when compared to any number of examples we can trot out? I know it may come as a shock to some with insecurities about Irish culture, or those who may have shaken off the cassock of yesteryear but the hair shirts remain, but we're actually one of the better cultures/nations out there. Room for improvement certainly, but pretty good.
    Were we any better than Saudi Arabia for years?
    Eh yes.
    They treat women terribly but as far as I know they didnt have a religion that condoned and covered up raping children.
    Not unless you look at the cases of child brides as young as 9 marrying grown men, public flogging and beheadings, slavery by any other name of non nationals and myriad human rights abuses. Never mind the problems with child abuse they're trying to get a handle on. This report from 08 gives the unreal breakdown of 45% of Saudi children at risk or experiencing child abuse.
    We are probably looked on by the eyes of other countries as absolutely terrible.
    No, we're really not.

Hitler's reasons for wanting the Jews exterminated were FAR from good enough, if there is such a thing.
    I'm pointing out the very question of "if there is such a thing", that this sentence is very odd.

I know it may come as a shock to some with insecurities about Irish culture, or those who may have shaken off the cassock of yesteryear but the hair shirts remain, but we're actually one of the better cultures/nations out there. Room for improvement certainly, but pretty good.

But we weren't always, as many cultures probably weren't a few centuries ago. Different cultures are in different stages on the road towards civilisation. It's a shame we're not all in sync but there you go.

I'm pointing out the very question of "if there is such a thing", that this sentence is very odd.

I mean, if there is such a thing as a good enough reason.

I mean, if there is such a thing as a good enough reason.
    It shouldn't really have to be vocalised that there may be.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ireland has come from a vey dark place in the last 40 years. I would argue that we were no better than some of the countries you listed above. People here lived in fear, poverty, misery and ignorance for a long time however we have come out of that (to some extent). These countries you mention can do the same eventually. To eradicate them first would not allow them ever to improve.
    Well I'm not advocating the eradication of them in fairness. No way was Ireland as bad as any of them. Aspects, granted, but not overall.

It annoys me when people say people just turned a blind eye to the abuse here - and the claims everyone knew. My parents didn't know, plus, if you're conditioned to believe the church is nothing but good, it's an implausible idea. There were people who knew of course, and some of them tried to speak out, but look at what they were trying to stand up to?

It shouldn't really have to be vocalised that there may be.

By referring to yourself as a Nazi with a straight face, topics like this were brought into the thread, as people can't help thinking of things like that when Nazism is discussed, especially when the superiority of some cultures is also being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Forced prostitution happens in this very country we live in , and it happens to human beings . But the fact that an animal being treated like this a few thousand miles away is what makes peoples blood boil.

Mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Any good-lookin bonobos around, i hear they're mad for it

Were we any better than Saudi Arabia for years? They treat women terribly but as far as I know they didnt have a religion that condoned and covered up raping children. We are probably looked on by the eyes of other countries as absolutely terrible.

But we were strangleholded by culture and tradition, the same way Saudi Arabia is now. These societies and us need to develop, learn from mistakes and progress to be a better civilization.
    I really don't understand the reasoning behind the notion that Irish people born in recent decades aren't in a position to condemn certain horrendous societies because of stuff that happened here before we were born...

And as for standing back and allowing people to starve: what can we actually do? We only have so much power.

• Advertisement

Well I'm not advocating the eradication of them in fairness. No way was Ireland as bad as any of them. Aspects, granted, but not overall.

It annoys me when people say people just turned a blind eye to the abuse here - and the claims everyone knew. My parents didn't know, plus, if you're conditioned to believe the church is nothing but good, it's an implausible idea. There were people who knew of course, and some of them tried to speak out, but look at what they were trying to stand up to?

We can't speak for definite for what our parents/grandparents knew/ tried to do. But we can know for definite what we know now.

Are we turning a blind eye now, ie.knowing that thousands of our parents generation are still incredibly suffering and the perpetrators ALL got away scot free, and the system that condoned the abuse has had really nothing done to them? People who got compensation had to agree that their abusers wouldnt be charged in order to get said compensation.

We are still living in this country that has recently allowed all this to happen.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Forced prostitution happens in this very country we live in , and it happens to human beings . But the fact that an animal being treated like this a few thousand miles away is what makes peoples blood boil.

Mad.

It has t be really shocking and different to get anyone's attention these days sadly.

And I also think people like to think of bad things as happening 'far away in different cultures'. People turn a blind eye to all the **** that's happening on their own doorstep. It's true, Ireland is also a human trafficking hotspot, Unspeakable horrors happen to people here every day.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind the notion that Irish people born in recent decades aren't in a position to condemn certain horrendous societies because of stuff that happened here before we were born...

And as for standing back and allowing people to starve: what can we actually do? We only have so much power.

You're taking the wrong line of reasoning.

Not condemn, but maybe realise that our own culture is no better and needs alot of extreme change, and wake up and look at all the **** that's going on under everyone's nose. And challenge it. And change it.

What are we supposed to do? And that doesn't mean we can't criticise other societies. I really don't get the "We're nobody to talk" mentality - for starters it's not "we" anyway. It kinda looks like trying to come across as really enlightened or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So many people in here with the kind of self-loathing mentality that a British person would be proud of. Ireland is a fine country to live in.

You're taking the wrong line of reasoning.

Not condemn, but maybe realise that our own culture is no better and needs alot of extreme change, and wake up and look at all the **** that's going on under everyone's nose. And challenge it. And change it.
    What's under everyone's noses? What are you doing about it? And actually our culture IS better than many - saying it's as bad is terribly disingenuous... and ludicrous.

So many people in here with the kind of self-loathing mentality that a ritish person would be proud of. Ireland is a fine country to live in.
    It's fashionable to pretend Ireland is a terrible, oppressive society - on the internet without censorship. Irony fail.

also it's not a new story

How dare you link to jstor in this forum!

What's under everyone's noses? What are you doing about it? And actually our culture IS better than many - saying it's as bad is terribly disingenuous... and ludicrous.

There are bad things going on in every country is my point and more people need to analyse what is going on in their own country and help change it.

I'm not perfect but I am doing a lot, volunteering, giving my time, campaigning for change in different areas.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to stand up and try to change different things. If everyone did it the world would be a much better place, not stand back and wait for some-one else to do it.

• Advertisement

By referring to yourself as a Nazi with a straight face, topics like this were brought into the thread, as people can't help thinking of things like that when Nazism is discussed, especially when the superiority of some cultures is also being discussed.
    Point
    country mile
    Sea Filly.
    What are we supposed to do? And that doesn't mean we can't criticise other societies. I really don't get the "We're nobody to talk" mentality - for starters it's not "we" anyway. It kinda looks like trying to come across as really enlightened or something...
    It's a common thread with those who apply the cultural relativism a bit too religiously.

Advertisement