Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twilight Zone contest?

• 01-06-2012 7:05pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was just looking through the list of Twilight Zone episodes (trying in vain to find one about a prison where you serve a light sentence in 10 minutes) and I thought it might be cool to have a contest where everyone is given a one-sentence pitch from an episode picked at random.

Who's in? Short story or screenplay format?

Comments

short story on that could be fun
    don't know the twilight zone too much, if it's like the outer limits okay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Me :) Right up my sci-fi alley,lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm in (and I reckon you're thinking of the Outer Limits rather than the Twilight Zone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentence_%28The_Outer_Limits%29)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm in (and I reckon you're thinking of the Outer Limits rather than the Twilight Zone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentence_%28The_Outer_Limits%29)

Brilliant, thanks!

So, the plot in one sentence is about this guy who was sentenced to serve a sentence... I think it was called "The Prison in the Mind"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Also:
    a prison where you serve a light sentence in 10 minutes

I know prisons are crowded, but 10 minutes? "Light sentence" is one hell of an understatement ;)

• Advertisement

Antilles wrote: »
    Also:

I know prisons are crowded, but 10 minutes? "Light sentence" is one hell of an understatement ;)

I meant to write 'life sentence'. From what I understand it uses some sort of technology that stretches time out so the person experiences it as though twenty years had passed when in fact it's just been minutes. Sort of like the way dreams seem to go on for hours when they only really last a few seconds.

That reminds me of a short story i read once. Humans had conquered light speed travel,they used to go into pods to travel to other planets,they were put to sleep for the duration. Anyway there were rumours that if you opened your eyes you would see something amazing so one boy dodged the sleep somehow and opened his eyes,he ended up trapped in eternity in his head,millions of years. When they finally landed he had gone insane....lovely little tale! Must go google it.

That was quick! It's a stephen king short story,the jaunt.
    Here in it's entirety : http://www.en8848.com.cn/fiction/Fiction/Scific/2005-11-15/1712.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm on for a short story comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I'm not really a sci-fi writer but I need something to motivate me to write at the moment so i'm in if it's going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

angelll wrote: »
    That was quick! It's a stephen king short story,the jaunt.
    Here in it's entirety : http://www.en8848.com.cn/fiction/Fiction/Scific/2005-11-15/1712.html

That must be based on the idea of "jaunting" which originated in Alfred Bester's (excellent) The Stars My Destination, I guess?

The comp sounds like fun; going on holiday for the next couple of weeks, but if it's still running when I get back I'd love to take part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Kinski wrote: »
    That must be based on the idea of "jaunting" which originated in Alfred Bester's (excellent) The Stars My Destination, I guess?

Vorga, I kill you deadly! :D

That was a brilliant book, though the ending was a bit lazy.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've written a proper short story, and I love the Twilight Zone, so I'd definitely be interested.

Right so. On Thursday I'll take the names of those interested and send each one an 'episode'. Two weeks, two thousand words OK? When are you back, Kinski?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Right so. On Thursday I'll take the names of those interested and send each one an 'episode'. Two weeks, two thousand words OK? When are you back, Kinski?

Sounds good. It's not a limit is it? Because I'm rubbish with upper limits.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Sounds good. It's not a limit is it? Because I'm rubbish with upper limits.

The Upper Limits, brought to you by the same people who made The About-Quarter-Past-Seven Zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

When are you back, Kinski?

Depends. If I decide to escape the rat race and start a new life in a far-off exotic land, filled with adventure, romance, tears and laughter, then I probably won't come back. But realistically I'll be back on the week starting the 25th.

Sure just press on without me, and I'll have a go in later rounds if there are any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

This sounds like fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Always a fan of these type of shows so count me in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

I seriously need a writerly kick in the pants, so I'm definitely up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'm interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement