Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Fishing?

Options
  • 01-06-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all, I am new to fishing and was wondering if someone could tell me where i could fish for free without a permit/license in the dublin/kildare area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CoarseForTench

Coarse, sea or fly mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Coarse, sea or fly mate?

All the Kildare coast is tied up and you have to pay through the nose:D

Both Royal and Grand Canals go through Dublin and Kildare and both are free.

Bizzum wrote: »
    All the Kildare coast is tied up and you have to pay through the nose:D

Both Royal and Grand Canals go through Dublin and Kildare and both are free.

Yeah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Don't bother with the Canals in Dublin, munchers have cleaned most fish out, you'll catch on both Canal's with a bit of knowledge, ask your local tackle dealer and he'll put you right on venue and tactics.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Don't bother with the Canals in Dublin, munchers have cleaned most fish out, you'll catch on both Canal's with a bit of knowledge, ask your local tackle dealer and he'll put you right on venue and tactics.

I know, It's terrible, I saw 2 scumbags yesterday taking a fish from the canal and throwing it into a bag :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kaiser Soze 742

I know, It's terrible, I saw 2 scumbags yesterday taking a fish from the canal and throwing it into a bag :(
    Was it over 25cm? Did you report it?

I wouldn't really know if it would be over 25cm, It was around the size of about a 3-4lb perch, And no, I didn't report it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dardywoo

uch wrote: »

Hi, Am new to this term, what does "Muncher" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I wouldn't really know if it would be over 25cm, It was around the size of about a 3-4lb perch, And no, I didn't report it

You seem to be new to fishing but for anyone who has been fishing for a while its the same old frustrating story.

Isnt it terrible the people killing fish in the canals!

Q: Did you report it?

A: No.

Try here.

http://www.irelandscoarsefishing.com/phpbb3/announces/topic4102.html

It would be worth you reading the laws so you know when to call.

Also where have you seen a 4lbs Perch. I would love to see one myself :)

Dardywoo wrote: »

He who eats coarse fish.

• Advertisement

Dardywoo wrote: »

I took the liberty of looking it up:

Muncher: "An individual or group of homosexual nature (male or female)."
    Ref: Urban Dictionary

I'm amazed these folk are impacting on the fish population of the Canals.
    Who'd a thunk it:D.

tin79 wrote: »
    where have you seen a 4lbs Perch. I would love to see one myself

It wasn't in the Canal anyway! I've seen quite a few over 2lb and they are crackin looking fish. Very exotic looking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ALL canals are 100% catch and release.

It wasn't in the Canal anyway! I've seen quite a few over 2lb and they are crackin looking fish. Very exotic looking!

Yes I fully agree they are great fish. Have had them to 3lbs 12oz but never seen a 4 in the flesh. Not for the want of trying though!

ALL canals are 100% catch and release.

I don't believe this to be the case. Under which specific SI?

Yes I fully agree they are great fish. Have had them to 3lbs 12oz but never seen a 4 in the flesh. Not for the want of trying though!

I don't believe I've ever seen a Perch of 3lb 12. Super super fish. The Irish record Perch at 5lb 8 has the bar set very high!

I don't believe this to be the case. Under which specific SI?

I cant find the specific law in full (the whole list of bye laws), It was introduced my Inland Waterways Ireland. I got this from fishingtalkireland, which is the specific bye law
    33. FishingThis Bye-law formalises Waterways Ireland’s Catch and Release rule wherebyfish caught in the navigations under its ownership must be returned. The taking of fish from these navigations, as specified in Appendix 4, is considered a breach of this Bye-law.

The above was taken from a draft in 2010, so im not 100% sure if it was ever brought into law. And Ive been looking for the last half hour to try and find out but I cant get any info online!

The above was taken from a draft in 2010, so im not 100% sure if it was ever brought into law. And Ive been looking for the last half hour to try and find out but I cant get any info online!

Thanks for trying.
    I could have saved you the time though! That draft is kicking about this while alright, but no specific legislation currently exists that I'm aware of.

Bye law 806 and 809 would be the commonly cited bye laws in this regard. It's long past time that a C&R bye law be introduced on the Grand/Royal canal to stamp out the current legal taking of 4 coarse fish/angler/day.
    Here's hoping!

+1

All coarse fishing should be catch and release, especially the canals.

Thanks for trying.
    I could have saved you the time though! That draft is kicking about this while alright, but no specific legislation currently exists that I'm aware of.

Bye law 806 and 809 would be the commonly cited bye laws in this regard. It's long past time that a C&R bye law be introduced on the Grand/Royal canal to stamp out the current legal taking of 4 coarse fish/angler/day.
    Here's hoping!

The C&R on the canal was brought in by Waterways Ireland a few years ago and signage was erected. As the stakeholder with responsibility for the canals I believe they have the legal right to restrict removal of fish from what (I am told) is essentially their property (of sorts) as the canals are not natural waters.

I have not looked into it so I am not 100% sure of the legal basis for enforcement of this or whether a bye law is required to be brought in before its formalised. i think the status of the canals as non-natural waters complicated the issue. WI could probably tell you.

As you said above I do not think the perch record will be going anytime soon.

Here is a pic of the 3.12 (please forgive my fashion sense it was several years ago and red checked shirts were in - ok ok they were never in) :)

PERCH312-2.jpg

The C&R on the canal was brought in by Waterways Ireland a few years ago and signage was erected. As the stakeholder with responsibility for the canals I believe they have the legal right to restrict removal of fish from what (I am told) is essentially their property (of sorts) as the canals are not natural waters.

I have not looked into it so I am not 100% sure of the legal basis for enforcement of this or whether a bye law is required to be brought in before its formalised. i think the status of the canals as non-natural waters complicated the issue. WI could probably tell you.

Here is a pic of the 3.12 (please forgive my fashion sense it was several years ago and red checked shirts were in - ok ok they were never in) :)

I don't believe the will exists within WI to enforce fisheries legislation, they work hand in hand with IFI already who have the expertise in this area. I see the C&R signage along the canals but that's as far as it goes. I don't see any progress in the draft legislation.
    However on a more positive note I'm aware of moves afoot to enact C&R legislation in the form of a Bye law to address this issue. The sooner the better!

That's a cracking Perch you caught. The check shirts were all the rage there for a while...........Still are in parts:D

• Advertisement

I don't believe the will exists within WI to enforce fisheries legislation, they work hand in hand with IFI already who have the expertise in this area. I see the C&R signage along the canals but that's as far as it goes. I don't see any progress in the draft legislation.
    However on a more positive note I'm aware of moves afoot to enact C&R legislation in the form of a Bye law to address this issue. The sooner the better!

That's a cracking Perch you caught. The check shirts were all the rage there for a while...........Still are in parts:D

I wonder if waterkeepers can enforce the canal C&R as it stands? I wonder if the IFI officers currently do?

The perch was many years ago from a now declined water. We had six over 2.5lbs one day on it but not had a 2+ since the mid 2000s.

I wonder if waterkeepers can enforce the canal C&R as it stands? I wonder if the IFI officers currently do?

I don't believe C&R is enforcable by anyone. The cases taken by IFI would be mainly under Bye Law 806/809 I would think, with the occasional 1959 act offence thrown in.

The perch was many years ago from a now declined water. We had six over 2.5lbs one day on it but not had a 2+ since the mid 2000s.

I know a few chaps fish for Perch and it seems when they get into the bigger ones they can catch several a session.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

PERCH312-2.jpg

cracking perch!! shocking shirt ha ha well done

Advertisement