Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your favourite major tournament

• 01-06-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Mine has to be Euro '96.

At the time it felt like football couldn't get any better.

England were on fire in the early games and I was young enough that I didn't understand that I was supposed to hate them.

The Czechs were the complete outsiders showing many of the "big" nations up. And thats without mentioning Karel Poborskys wonder scoop against Portugal.

Andreas Mollers celebration after the winning penalty against England.

All the stadiums were full and there was a great atmosphere about the tournament.

I don't really get that romantic feeling when looking back on any other championships.

Most will probably say Italia 90 but I was a bit young to be fully into that. Although as mascots go that's still my favourite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

2002 world cup was the most memorable for me.
    The match times were crazy but that just led to epic beer sessions,good times with good mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Euro 2000.

Because of these 3 games:

What a comeback!!

deBoer's freekick....sublime

This game rivals Man City v QPR for last minute excitement...insane ending

and those are only group stage games......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

taking off my green tinted specs, Euro 2000 was class. Guardian joy of 6 had a snippet on it today so that'll explain it better then I could, but my favourite moment of the tournament was the Dutch absolutely destroying a handy Yugoslavia side 6-1.

Favourite player was moody git extraordinare Zahovic for surprise team Slovenia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

World Cup 2002. I was 10 and was the first proper tournament I watched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

World Cup 98, disliked Brazil so to see France overcome them was great. Fabian Barthez became my favourite player after that tournament too (I was a goalkeeper), shame about his ill fated time at United...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Keno 92 wrote: »

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

2002 for me too. Memories of everyone going mental at Keanes equalizer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mexico 86, no major international football tournament has come within an asses roar of it since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

usa 94

With the exception of the final, the tournament was played in a positive fashion and pretty much all of the big names lived up to their reputations. Plus, the surprise packages in Bulgaria, Romania, etc. Also, Ireland having one memorable result helped.

There has been a noticeable decline in the quality of World Cups since that year, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww

2002 for me too. Memories of everyone going mental at Keanes equalizer :pac:

In school as well - will never ever forget that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Turkey at Euro 2008 were unreal. Comebacks in every game! I'll never forget the ending to the Croatia game in the quarters.

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »

Could not disagree more, possibly the worst WC ever

Reasons: Too many big names (teams and individuals) choking
    S Korea's very dubious progress to the last 4
    Limited Germany team in the final
    Characterless modern stadiums with lots of empty seats
    No Roy Keane (like him or not)
    Ireland already in two previous ones, so not as 'special'
    Awkward times ( not Asia's fault, but still annoying for a European)

Can you see I didn't like it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

First I remember is 98. So can only comment from then onwards.

Would have to say Euro 2000. Some incredible games. In the groups I remember Yugoslavia had some come back v Slovenia and that's not to mention France Holland. European football was a lot tougher back then. Weren't Portugal Germany England Romania in the one group as well as France Czech and Netherlands?

Also loved the semi between Italy Holland, intriguing to say the least some great football and what a performance by Toldo who only played cos of Buffon's injury.

Great drama in the final too.

Couldn't really enjoy 02 as much without being able to partake in celebrations :D Overall the amount of shocks in it was annoying in my view and had some very poor standard games. How Germany made the final is still (in my eyes) beyond belief

Enjoyed Euro 08 as well but it doesn't rate as highly as 00 in my opinion

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Turkey at Euro 2008 were unreal. Comebacks in every game! I'll never forget the ending to the Croatia game in the quarters.

I backed them before the tournament too. So close haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

EURO 2000 for me, it was close enough to Germany, plenty of support. But Germany were more than poor...at least, England didn't qualify for the knockout rounds either :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

For Ireland - WC 2002. I think it was actually Ireland's best performance at a WC finals. They didn't get as far as '90 but it they scored more goals than any other appearance at a major finals and the Saipan fiasco lent huge controversy to the build up and turned the thing into a rollercoaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No outright favourite

1982 World Cup for West Germany vs France, a classic
    1986 World Cup some great games in Mexico - Brazil Vs France, another classic
    1996 Euro - Footballs coming home, the Czech Republic a "new country" (actually a very old one reborn) going to the final and England playing good big tournie football!
    1998 World Cup for the crowning of France and super slo-mo replays

All been rubbish since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Probably France 98, it was the first tournament I was old enough to properly enjoy and was able to take it all in, I remember coming home from school in time to see the opening ceremony and opening game between Brazil and Scotland.

The iconic theme tune "Carnival de Paris" could be heard everywhere and there were some great moments.

A vivid memory is the epic between England and Argentina which turned David Beckham into a national hate figure after his red card, mad to think about that in hindsight.

Also memorable was the drama surrounding the final regarding Ronaldo and his fit, before France went on to dominate Brazil with Zidane giving a masterclass.

Could not disagree more, possibly the worst WC ever

Reasons: Too many big names (teams and individuals) choking
    S Korea's very dubious progress to the last 4
    Limited Germany team in the final
    Characterless modern stadiums with lots of empty seats
    No Roy Keane (like him or not)
    Ireland already in two previous ones, so not as 'special'
    Awkward times ( not Asia's fault, but still annoying for a European)

Can you see I didn't like it? :D

Agree completely! Had to be the worst team to ever make a WC final. Luck of the draw got them there. Played awful football and terrible tactics. I still can't get over how we failed to beat them.

Too many shocks in 02 for my liking. Portugal, france, argies all knocked out of group alone. Italy and Spain then beaten by Korea. It's nice to see the odd upset but too many is annoying imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

96 for me, was probably the peak of my fanboyness - 3 lions, some great games, dutch team with so many class ajax players, england v scotland, good few shootouts, so much hype in Match and Shoot

Lars1916 wrote: »
    EURO 2000 for me, it was close enough to Germany, plenty of support. But Germany were more than poor...at least, England didn't qualify for the knockout rounds either :P

Poor old Phil Neville gave away penalty at the death iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Surprised nobody has mentioned Italia 90. I was only 4 so can't really remember it but it must have been epic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Euro 88 was just tremendous fun as it was our first and we were bloody hard done by to be put out by Wim Kieft's miles offside goal. Still though to lose out to what was one of the truly great Dutch teams was no great shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought France 98 was spectacular from england vs argentina to morroco completly smashing scotland!!
    the emergance of Christian Vieri and the Marcelo Salas led Chile team

Croatia building on euro 96 and making there way to the semi final where 2 goals from Lillian Thuram of all people putting them out

France being a extremly good and jammy side along the way,

the whole Ronaldo debacle in the final and thats just scratching the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Surprised nobody has mentioned Italia 90. I was only 4 so can't really remember it but it must have been epic

The manner of the final really left a bad taste in people's mouths. It was up there with that Milan v Juve Champions League Final debacle. Ireland were great though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

WC '98 would be up there. The only thing I can remember from it was Ronaldo.

WC '02 was my favourite. Getting up at 7 in the morning for the matches. The highlight being the Germany match. We were in school and my dad had the tele going. The whole place going mad as **** when Robbie scored.

Hopefully this tournament will be even more memorable.

Semih Senturk ♥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Doocey wrote: »
    Semih Senturk ♥
    Darragh Maloney's commentary <3 SEMIIIIIIIIHH OOOOOHHHH. They almost did it against Germany too even though they only had half a team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Euro 2000 was great from a footballing point of view.

I enjoyed 2006 a lot though, personally.

It was my first tournament of legal drinking-age and I had a an okay-paid part-time job that conveniently almost never clashed with the matches.

I basically remember it as a load of laughs with mates mixed in with some decent matches along the way (Italy-Germany was awesome, Netherlands - Portugal fascinatingly bizarre).

I'm half-Italian so was obviously delighted at the outcome too.

I finished the tournament lying face-down on a balcony vomiting after hitting the tequila too hard during penalties, but with a big smile on my face. I think that scene sums up that tournament perfectly for me.

I hope that in a month Euro 2012 will be the answer though.

Darragh Maloney's commentary <3 SEMIIIIIIIIHH OOOOOHHHH. They almost did it against Germany too even though they only had half a team!

Yeah, until Lahm showed up with a late one :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Euro 2004. Greece win. Czech's play some brilliant football. Zidane robs England with two injury time goals. Trapattoni learns what not to do so that he can get it right next time with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Showing my age here slightly but Spain 82 had it all for me, just shading Mexico 86. It was the first tournament I really remember well but I'm not picking it for that alone.

It just seemed to be one of those iconic World Cups. Favourites Brazil with Zico, Socrates, Falcao, etc, bowing out to Italy in the second round in one of the greatest games ever. The Kuwaiti sheiks running onto the pitch against France in protest at a referee's decision. Northern Ireland shocking Spain on a hot sweaty night in Valencia. Germany beating France on penalties after that dramatic game where Schumacher nearly killed Batiston. And then there was Paolo Rossi finishing top scorer after being banned from the game for two years.

In a word....legendary!

p.s. while we're on the subject, Italia 90 was the worst football tournament I have ever seen.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Agree completely! Had to be the worst team to ever make a WC final. Luck of the draw got them there. Played awful football and terrible tactics. I still can't get over how we failed to beat them.

Too many shocks in 02 for my liking. Portugal, france, argies all knocked out of group alone. Italy and Spain then beaten by Korea. It's nice to see the odd upset but too many is annoying imho

Me too. They were really poor against Paraguay and USA - neither of whom you would describe as heavyweights. Brazil were too superior by the time of the final.

At the very least we had Ronaldo in epic form, but that and Robbie's goal against the Germans, were the only two things from that WC I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Euro 88 is my favourite,Ireland getting to a whisker of a semi final,the performance against Russia must be up there as one of the best under Jacks time in charge,they were a good side and our lads took the game to them and should have won,Tony Galvin with the socks down around the ankles taking on the Russians,he didnt play too many times after that but he had some game that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Italy 90....i was only 8 but i remember parts of it and how the country was gripped. 94 was class and i remember more of it, but 90 was special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

cgpg5 wrote: »

Argentina were worse in 90 imho. Scored just five goals in seven games, multiple red-cards, negative play, taking playing for penos almost to an art-form. Actually managed to get two men sent off in a world cup final itself!

People talk about Maradona single-handedly winning the world cup in 86 (he didn't). However he did almost single-handedly drag that team into the 90 final.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'll go with the 2006 World Cup

Some absolutely ridiculous goals

England's dramatic exit in the shoot out vs Portugal

As mentioned before Germany Vs Italy was an incredible match

And Zidane playing brilliantly in the knock out rounds and almost being the hero with that header in extra time in the final and the headbutt on Materazzi being his last action as a professional footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'll go with the 2006 World Cup

Some absolutely ridiculous goals

England's dramatic exit in the shoot out vs Portugal

As mentioned before Germany Vs Italy was an incredible match

And Zidane playing brilliantly in the knock out rounds and almost being the hero with that header in extra time in the final and the headbutt on Materazzi being his last action as a professional footballer.

Some goals in that lot! Maxi's strike is just so perfect. I remember that being an absolute cracker of a game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

First one I remember is 94. The Irish part aside, it was really interesting. Teams like Bulgaria, Nigeria, Sweden and Romania coming from nowhere to have a good run and toppling some of the bigger names on the way.

The ones that stand out for me are 96 and 04.

Even though I hated Greece's approach, it was a fairytale story. I was in Toronto at the time and to see the celebrations in Greektown was insane.

In 96, it just seemed like there were so many class teams and any one of them could've won it.

As much as I like the idea of the World Cup, unfortunately, there's just too much stuff crammed into a short space of time and there'll inevitably be some games between crap sides and some thumpings (more often than there are in the Euros).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Mexico 86, first time that I really paid attention to a major tournament and the first time that I played as a player form a competition. I was Rudi Voller back then, most of my mates were Brazilians, Careca and Socrates and the like but I always thought Voller was a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

WC 98 was the best I've seen. The great football played by both Croatia and France. Spain going out early. Some fantastic games then also between England vs Argentina, Croatia vs France, Brazil vs Denmark to name a few. The controversy in the final with Ronaldo and Brazil getting over ran by France.

Some great memories of that tournament.

• Advertisement

TaosHum wrote: »
    WC 98 was the best I've seen. The great football played by both Croatia and France. Spain going out early. Some fantastic games then also between England vs Argentina, Croatia vs France, Brazil vs Denmark to name a few. The controversy in the final with Ronaldo and Brazil getting over ran by France.

Some great memories of that tournament.

Argentina v England that year is the best WC match I have seen. It had everything - pure drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mexico 86, no major international football tournament has come within an asses roar of it since
    word.
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Spain
    Germany
    England
    Argentina
    Burzil
    France

Great teams and brilliant games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2002 for obvious Robbie Keane-related reasons in the 93rd minute in Ibrachi.

2004 was some tournie though. The Czechs were a sight to behold. Their 3-2 comeback win against the Dutch stands out as a highlight for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Italy 90....i was only 8 but i remember parts of it and how the country was gripped. 94 was class and i remember more of it, but 90 was special.

Nearly forgot about that one. Germany winning the title for the first time after 1974, beating England in the semis. And characters like Rene Higuita or Roger Milla :cool:

But that spitting incident between Rijkard and Voeller did not contribute to the relationship between Germany and the Netherlands at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Euro 2000 hands down for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

rossie1977 wrote: »

Yeah, that's the one. Yosimar's goal, the Brazil v France game, Maradonna. It was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

sugarman wrote: »
    Had we have went through we would have faced Korea, who we definately could have dealt with.:(

I think Korea were going through no matter what. There was blatant fixing going on for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

1970 World Cup, or 1986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2006 World Cup, seeing Zidane at his brilliant best is something I'll never forget. The main reason I enjoyed it so much though was because I watched all the French games with a friend from France, and this guy is so passionate about football, he's an absolute gent as well. When Henry dived for the peno against Portugal he hung his head in shame and didn't really celebrate the goal, and when they lost the final on penos he was in tears. He was one of the (many) French persons that was outraged by the Henry handball, and well, it's refreshing to watch a tournament with such an honest and passionate person, which is why the WC 2006 was my favourite tournament to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That team were great and played some lovely football.

Do you remember their manager? He was great entertainment on the sidelines too. Here's what the Guardian said about him:
    Guardian wrote:
    Not just a tactical genius capable of playing Germany off the park with seven fit players, the coach driver, a one-legged left-winger and the cat from the team hotel, Turkey's coach was also responsible for the return of the genuinely macho manager. Constantly furious, shimmering with sweat, prone to Bruce Lee-style air karate, Terim biffed and scowled his way across Alpine central Europe and left a trail of perspiration, matted chest hair and distilled testosterone behind him. Give the man his own TV show.
    My vote would go to Euro 2000. Lots of great games that have been mentioned already. Plus the final was cracking quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement